Hello Neil - another 'chipsweeper' has questions - please tell us more:

The model?
    Hobby or commercial?
    What is an AHHA conversion?
    What/why Dolphin software?
    What problems?
    What costs?
    How happy?
    Some pictures (machine & typical products/parts)?
    etc.

In my curiosity I just found this:
    http://www.centroidcnc.com/lowcostm39.htm

Quote Originally Posted by neilrob View Post
    To Anzac group
    I'm in Invercargill (Worlds Fastest Indian town) Shifted lathes and milling gear out to my cow shed in the country from the town
    I bought a non- working Shizuoka cnc mill back from UK and have a Ahha conversion with Dolphin software. Stepper motors. Making con-rods , plastic dies and light aircraft parts for home-builders. Other interests -Aviation-flying /engineering Jaguar V-12 ,Motor sport and most things mechanical.
    All the best to the group.
    Neil Robertson (1942 model NZ)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Shizuoka Cnc Mill

To Allan and others.
    Shizuoka is re-badged in the UK as Matchmaker.
    This was a 1988 model with Posidata 2800 and a tape drive.- and 800 in/oz steppers. plus 40 Cat tool holders 5 hp motor
    I paid 600 UKP and shipped to NZ in a container along with a nice unmarked but older Adcock and Shipley Horizontal mill (Manual) some wire wheels a Jag. diff and a 20 inch rotary table.
    This was 4500NZ but got it all here undamaged.
    The Ahha conversion allows a PC to run the system -still using the original power supply , and the UK agents Eagland Machine tools.supplied the cards , software , and wiring information to convert it.
    On line help was available from John Stevenson who had a similar conversion in UK and digital pictures went back and forth.
    I have little electronic knowledge but do/did all my own electrical wiring andrepairs to keep a farm cow shed,pumps,chillers , and machine shop running. I use all three phase motors, and have a good stable supply to the dairy shed/workshop.
    After a frustrating run with Bob cad and its non-existant back up . I now use Dolphin for the cam and G-code generation usually from Generic cad 6 dxf files.(Dos based.)
    Dolphin allows viewing the simulated tool /cutter path. and so far no errors or ruined work due to its faults. I leave the machine running and have a coffee- Can't do that with Bob cad.
    The total costing has been about 15,000 NZ. - Purchase, pick up UK containering and Shipping Fees (no customs!) Hardware /software.
    I run with Pentium 100. Bare bones - no widows CD or usb, and draw and code on separate computer, save to a new floppy disc then to mill.
    It is used to make ? money and I charge $66 per hour and try to be fair with costs. The replacement value would be close to $80G I suppose, - and there is the experiance gained over the five years of operating. It also has a 24 position tool changer ( not wired in yet) as it only takes 20 seconds to replace tools and I tend to machine mostly with carbide tools of 25mm or 40 mm . plus centre drill for marking positions.
    This is larger than a Bridgeport and a Bed Mill- also more rigid than a turret machine.Weighs two ton. It is accuracy rather than a speed requirement and the 4 x old motorbike connecting rods that I'm making at the moment from 4340 steel are within a thou in any direction.
    I have pictures of most of the machining and parts made , and am setting up a video camera to record the machining so that others may understand how it all works- There seems to be a lack of this visual information available. to any one starting out - especially in Invercargill where there is only two machines.
    While in UK in 1964 I lived across the Street from the mentioned Mick Jagger and his boys. We used to trek down to the Bedford CA van/pie cart equiv,at the end of the street for breakfast.- Always stood 'up wind' though.
    Just off to IRD to put in my pension application
    Neil Robertson
    "Lathes-Mills & Cnc."
    Invercargill NZ.
    Happy to answer questions - neilrob@woosh.co.nz-
    027 3200 903 (just corrected)

Last edited by neilrob; 01-29-2007 at 04:18 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
    Hello Neil - another 'chipsweeper' has questions - please tell us more:

The model?
    Hobby or commercial?
    What is an AHHA conversion?
    What/why Dolphin software?
    What problems?
    What costs?
    How happy?
    Some pictures (machine & typical products/parts)?
    etc.

In my curiosity I just found this:
    http://www.centroidcnc.com/lowcostm39.htm
    Centroid looks like a neat turn-key conversion, but that control box is a big mutha!

Neil, you just HAVE to let us know what an Ahha conversion is!

I looked at Dolphin, it looks quite good but it's a little expensive for a hobby machine like mine, and is mill only unless you buy the lathe add-on.

I've seen pics of the stuff Neil makes - VERY nice!

Cheers,
    Dave.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile You just beat me to it...

Hi Neil,
    You just pipped my post by a minute, so I know what an Ahha conversion is now - but what do the initials stand for?

Re BobCad, I downloaded a trial version but didn't like it. Some time later I got bombarded with e-mails and telephone calls from Bob himself (in the USA) urging me to buy. Talk about the hard sell! I was not impressed. He even rang me again to try and sell it to me after I e-mailed him to say I wasn't going to buy!
    Guys like him really torque my nuts.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Neil - very interesting. I'll make contact in due course. We are just reviewing our 'basic' Bridgeport 2x CNC and trying to decide if we upgrade from Stepper to Servo (among other issues)...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Preemtping Neil's authorative reply (if he returen from visit to IRD)...

I presume "Ah'ha" is what we exclaim when we see the 'solution' to our probelm or our dielemma is resolved...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Toolmaker

Hi Im John I come from Wellington, NZ, came out of my time in 68, worked at West Arm for a couple of years and then went to to Canada where I have been on OE for the last 36 years. Mind you I have been home twice in that time, last time was in 84. Been working on CNC machine tools for 20 years now. At present I am working on a CNC conversion project. Rebuilding a " Royal Oak" 4H-72 De Vlieg and converting it to fully 7-axis programmable CNC. Hope to the machine in operation by May.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,
    Welcome to the zone. I'm sure everyone here would love to see some pictures of the conversion if that is at all possible.
    Paul

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ullo,

I posted a new thread as well, which has probably busted some subtle social norm, but I'm over it..

Chris from Leeston, just south of CHCH.

A hobby cnc'er. Looking to (finally) build a router this year to make some home projects (dolls house for daughter, model aircraft bits etc). Looking at rockcliff design due to reports of fast build, but really want something bigger, we'll wait and see what I come up with!

I'm a Linux zealot, so I'll probably go with EMC (Got it working yesterday with a test machine made of floppy drives, long story). Qcad for drawing and NCplot seems to be the pick for dxf-gcode and backplot checking from what I can see, unless you have a large budget, which I don't...

I've got a background in electronics and computers, ran my own business designing/building and exporting microcontroller gadgets and making some small kits for a few years, which I gave up in 2004. Currently the I.S. manager for the local council (Selwyn) and part time photographer.

I'll start a build log thread in the DIY section once I've got some sort of direction, might stop me from procrastinating over the design part of the process like I did last time I started the project...

Cheers, Me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kia ora Chris

I used to live in Prebbleton back in the 60's when I was doing mechanical engineering at uni in Chch. Im responsible for the rebuild of the companies machine tools and CNC retrofits. We are taking a few of the old machines built back in the 60's, tearing them down and retrofiting them for CNC At present we are converting a De Vlieg horizontal boring mill to 7 fully proggramable axis with full 5 axis capability. The controller that is to be used is a Heidenhain iTNC 530. The machine will have 3-D part probing and tool probing. Te reo is a bit flaky I an still on OE in Canada, been there since 70 but was home with the wife in 83. They speak english and french here but no Maori.
    Haeri ra
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You probably wouldn't recognise Prebbleton now then... In the last 6 years it's gained 400 new houses... Growing like topsy.

Sounds like you're doing some interesting work over there on your extended OE. I'm just venturing into CNC as I said. I have got one toy made to test/learn some jargon and software, but outside that I'm a newbie.

Although I do have a small lathe, which makes me an almost machinist, I'm most happy with a soldering Iron and computer by my side. The electronics & computer setup will be easy at least. :-).

Cheers, Me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys count me in im a motor cycle & jetski engineer from sydney & love shaping metal in all sorts of ways along with all sorts of mechanical things that test our minds,any ways good to see all you guys so keen.Greg B

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi all
    were are all the kiwis
    I wanting to bluid a cnc plamsa have all engineering skills but little eletronics skills and looking for any help
    Is there any one selling drives,motors,interfaces in new zealand as i can bliud the table etc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chopper14 View Post
    hi all
    were are all the kiwis
    I wanting to bluid a cnc plamsa have all engineering skills but little eletronics skills and looking for any help
    Is there any one selling drives,motors,interfaces in new zealand as i can bliud the table etc
    There are a few of us here, but not that many by the looks of things.. What part of NZ are you from?

I'm just south of CHCH, and can help with electronics bits... As for suppliers, there are a couple, but be prepared to spend some money, as there are no 'hobby/diy' cnc suppliers in NZ. There are a couple of good outfits in Aussie though, who will ship.

Cheers, Me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

My name is barrie cole and I am presently doing sub contract programming
    I live in eltham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Welcom, Barrie!

G'Day Barrie,
    Welcome to the group. What sort of programming do you do (i.e., what language/s)?

Dave.
    PS - Where is Eltham?

Quote Originally Posted by barriecole View Post
    Hi

My name is barrie cole and I am presently doing sub contract programming
    I live in eltham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should have been more precise , sub contract cnc programmer and operator. using edge cam v11.5. Eltham is a suburb of melbourne . close to greensborough /templestowe/warrendyte

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Hi

Hi my name is Scott and I'm a CAMoholic. LOL

Work for a company called SMI Group in Whangarei NZ. We do remote build super yacht interiors. Found this forum sometime ago while looking for something else and forgot about it until i was cleaning out my bookmarks. I know I'm sorry but I'm on board now and can't wait to find out heaps of goodies and learn heaps of stuff.

We have an SCM Record 125 and I program it using AlphaCAM V6 3D 3-axis. I am currently researching 5-axis routers and 5-axis software. I'd love to hear any comments on machines and set ups you might have. Is there an appropriate forum it should be posting that information on?

Cheers

Scott

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi from Sassafras in the beautiful Dandenong ranges 40 Kms east of Melbourne. I had a shopbot some years ago but marital and related issues now have me in a smaller house with even smaller workshop so it is a maxnc these days. I am planning to build a wood working cnc about half sheet, say 1200 x 900 mm that will fit in my workshop. Trouble is, the maxnc is too small (115 x 200 x 100 mm working volume) to make many useful parts for a larger machine. Any one got a machine in Melbourne that could help me get started on my next machine??

Cheers
    Brian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Boros,

How is it to work on cnc stuff?
    I have been fixing spa's for a while. I am near canberra. I have built a couple of machines and am thinking about unpacking and reactivating them. Now that the shed is allmost built.

Love to chin wag if you get out this way.

Is there anybody in canberra that has a mill set up that could route pc boards?

Thanks

aussiegeorge
    04 1946 1897

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast