Australia Hafco HM32/RF32, Rebuild/CNC conversion

Thread: Hafco HM32/RF32, Rebuild/CNC conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hafco HM32/RF32, Rebuild/CNC conversion

I have a Hafco HM32 currently in parts (due to house move).
    And Im currently deciding a course of action with it.
    I use it as a mill, it doesn't do complex jobs or anything super accurate but its unique characteristics and fussyness can make it a pain.
    Essentially rebuild it with some fresh bits and some tweaks and new/better DRO system including filling the column and base with epoxy granite. and a much heavier bench(currently has a flimsy sheet metal on) etc.

the alternative would be a CNC conversion. 3 axis closed loop. the cost of the hardware would mean I couldn't build a new stand or fill the column/base etc...

final option would be to re assemble it with a freshen up and then sell it on and buy a bigger machine or something for a dedicated CNC build.

Im looking from feedback from anyone who has gone down either of the CNC conversion on this mill (or any of its family of round column mills) or tried to make one of these mills "good"

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hafco HM32/RF32, Rebuild/CNC conversion

Hi there, yes I have converted my HM32 mill to cnc, it was easy, I replaced the x and y axis screw with a 16mm ball screws and still use the same set up for the z axis, I used 570 0z stepper motors purchased from Homman Designs in Melb and M542 stepper drivers and break out board from Ocean Controls also in Melb, every thing is running smooth, better than I expected.

Regards
    Nick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Nick,

Would you still have a parts list and plans (i.e. - dxf files or equivalent for all the brackets and mountings) that I may be able to get from you or did you "wing it" (not meaning to offend)?

I have bought from Homman before as I designed and built an 1150mm x 730mm CNC from scratch. Working well with a gecko 540 stepper driver.

I have a hm32 as well and have been contemplating doing this to mine for some time now.

Cheers,

Baz.

Quote Originally Posted by naijin View Post
    Hi there, yes I have converted my HM32 mill to cnc, it was easy, I replaced the x and y axis screw with a 16mm ball screws and still use the same set up for the z axis, I used 570 0z stepper motors purchased from Homman Designs in Melb and M542 stepper drivers and break out board from Ocean Controls also in Melb, every thing is running smooth, better than I expected.

Regards
    Nick

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hafco HM32/RF32, Rebuild/CNC conversion

Quote Originally Posted by janda3178 View Post
    Hey Nick,

Would you still have a parts list and plans (i.e. - dxf files or equivalent for all the brackets and mountings) that I may be able to get from you or did you "wing it" (not meaning to offend)?

I have bought from Homman before as I designed and built an 1150mm x 730mm CNC from scratch. Working well with a gecko 540 stepper driver.

I have a hm32 as well and have been contemplating doing this to mine for some time now.

Cheers,

Baz.
    Hi Baz, no I don't have any plans as such done conversion trial and error way, took a little longer but it still works, I bought 16mm ball screw and nuts (2 off) one for x axis one for y axis the z axis I used what's already there just attached a stepper motor, I used the 750 Oz motors and M254 drivers, a break out board from Ocean Controls in Melb. ( If you send me a pm I will try and send some photos )

Regards
    Nick