Australia NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040

Thread: NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040

G'day guys, I bought my little 3040 off ebay 3 or 4 years ago and it was fine for hobby signage or simple little gifts but, the first time I tried some 2.5D the machine destroyed the job and hasn't worked properly since (TB6560 strikes again!). The machine jogs X & Z but no Y movement at all, although the motor "locks in" when the control box is turned on. At first I thought it was the breakout board so I replaced it, the problems still there. Then I replaced the Y axis driver board, still no movement on Y. As a matter of course I replaced all the axis boards & still the Y motor locks in but no jog(?). I haven't been able to find any replacement motors the same as the original Nema 23 steppers 57BYGH488-02BE. I'm at the end of my capabilities and am desperate for some local help. Even if the machine some how gets fixed the original micro step problem is still there. Is anybody in Sydney prepared to help a hobbyist get his machine going again, for a reasonable (hobbyist) rate. I need someone to build a new control box or point me in the right direction of a suitable replacement. Please NO suggestions about throwing it out & buying a new machine, you can't just toss the thing out, besides I've already thought that option out and its not an option.. I've tried to attach a photo, not that it helps Thanks, Rob. NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040-3040z04-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040

For the love of god Rob, throw away the TB6560 controller and buy a Gecko G540 mate.

It adds a little to the cost of the machine but you may notice on the forums here that no-one to my knowledge, has ever regretted buying a G540!

I spent ages trying to get my 6040 working, before going to a G540 and a better quality 48VDC power supply, to get max power, and what a difference! It's a pretty simple wiring conversion too. For mine I simply bought some of the matching plug/socket connectors off ebay for a few bucks, and made new cables to connect to the G540, and plug into the existing connectors supplied with the machine.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

G'day Ian, thanks for the reply. I've looked at Gecko but lack the confidence to attempt it. Not to mention the Y axis, motor could be stuffed??? Don't know about the engineers but I could cry

Downloads
    Uploads

Wiring in a G540 really isn't very difficult at all, and is a little hard to stuff up unless really trying.

All you need to do is map out the stepper A+-/B+- wires to the outputs, exactly the same as you have now with the Garbage Blue Box Controller, and wire in the step dir/en, etc pins to the inputs, the labelling will be identical between the YOOCNC drivers and buffer board, and the G540.

It's pretty rare to get the stepper fail, I'd very much be more inclined to think it's your GBBC.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help guys, I found this but the price is high, is it fair? Gecko 4 Axis Drive Taig Sherline CNC Lathe MILL Router | eBay
    p.s. what's a GBBC?. Rob

Last edited by 235r; 12-15-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 235r View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, I found this but the price is high, is it fair? Gecko 4 Axis Drive Taig Sherline CNC Lathe MILL Router | eBay
    p.s. what's a GBBC?. Rob
    The OZ dollar is pretty crap at the moment so the prices are about 25-30% higher than a year or so back, but that ebay link is a bit excessive to me, especially as the power cabling will be no good here. You could buy the G540 off ebay on it's own cheap as Gecko have possibly the best international warranty available, or buy one from Peter in Melb:

Gecko G540 Stepper Drive REV-8 [G540] - US$269.00 : Homann Designs!, The preferred CNC Component Supplier

And if you wanted to get better performance I'd recommend replacing the power supply with a better 48VDC one, Peter has a very good quality one for $168 which is more than I'd pay really, but I have other avenues for PSU's so ebay would be a good place to good a reasonable quality one at a good price. Probably around the $50-$75 mark on average.

GBBC is Garbage Blue Box Controller, if you mention on any cnc forum "blue box controller", everyone immediately knows exactly what your talking about!

Either way, spending a little more for better hardware really will make all the difference in the world, the machines are great generally, but the controllers are worthless.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah...a bit expensive. I've been looking around at some of the chatter, you've convinced me mate. As you said Ian, the machines aren't bad, it's the controllers that are junk. Gecko 540 eh!...watch this space. Thanks Ian, Rob.

Downloads
    Uploads

Money well spent I went down the road of good controllers have not looked back.

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a small difference between a Chinese TB6560 and a Gecko unit such as the 540. The difference is roughly similar to the distance between China and America.

Peter Homann is the Oz rep for Gecko. He provides support ... for real.
    I had a faulty Gecko driver once: poor anodising on the heatsink I think. I took a photo of the arcing and emailed it to Peter. He had a replacement unit in the mail to me that night. No arguments at all.

Three months after you buy a Gecko replacement you will have forgotten the cost completely.

Cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got my yooCNC 3040t and plan to build my own controller i check put the 2 power supplies they are ok , and can use the spindle motor for now.
    before gutting it i measured all the power output but forgot to read what the voltage the fan uses , can anyone let me know.
    p.s never could get the X axles to work before gutting it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 235r View Post
    G'day Ian, thanks for the reply. I've looked at Gecko but lack the confidence to attempt it. Not to mention the Y axis, motor could be stuffed??? Don't know about the engineers but I could cry
    Hi Rob,

I can probably help out ig you want to go the G540 solution. It is unlikely that the motor is stuffed, they are very reliable. Why do you think it is cooked?

Those blue controllers usually have a 24Vdc supply in them. You can use this supply with the G540, although you will get better motor performance from a 48Vdc supply.

Normally the G540 is mounted on the back plate of the enclosure like the image attached, but it is not necessary. I'd suggest that if you were to go the G540 way that you mount the G540 inside the box in place of the existing drivers, and solder DC-02 DB-9 breakout boards to the ends of the wires that connect to the TB6560 board. This way you don't need to change the stepper wiring.

The G540 will be able to control the relays in the box. And at some time in the future and you should be able to control the spindle speed of the VFD from the G540 if you want to go down that path.

I get a lot of inquiries from people wanting to do exactly what you asking. As Ian suggests, it's quite simple, but of course that's relative.

If you want, send me the box, I'll swap the TB6560 board and 24V power supply out for the G540, 48Vdc power supply, GC-02 breakout boards and any other bits and pieces. I'll cover the labor costs as I'll document the conversion. That way in the future, others will have a reference.

Cheers,

Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEED local help with Chinese junk 3040-controller-back-jpg  
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

An unbelievable offer from Peter! You should take it.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Roger,

Yes, I think so.

I didn't look at the date of the first post. It was back in December so I guess that Rob is sorted.

Cheers,

Peter

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com