Australia Suggestions For Foam Cutting Tools (Shadowbox, etc) and CAM SW

Thread: Suggestions For Foam Cutting Tools (Shadowbox, etc) and CAM SW

Default Suggestions For Foam Cutting Tools (Shadowbox, etc) and CAM SW

Hello AUS (and the rest of CNCZone),

Daz in Melton South, I've got my Gerber 48 up and running with new hardware, electronics and run with Mach3 (Demo Still)

I'll make it known I am completely new to CNC, machining and CAM software. I have dabbled in CAD, AutoCAD, MicroStation and of course Sketchup. I can work my way around CAD and Drawing/Photo software ok, not a master by any means.

My first project is to foam cut my toolbox due to tool control requirements at work (Aircraft Engineer). I have been able to make both clean SVG and DXF files from photos, its a bit time consuming to clean up edges so they are smooth, that being said, not sure I want to spend thou$ands on Software to automate this process. Do any of you do this type of work and willing to give me some pointers on a quick process or affordable software?

Now CAM Software, CamBam seems to be quite popular and reasonably priced, looks like it will meet my need for 2.5D work for the moment. Once I build up some experience on the machine I would like to do some 3D artsy stuff, but that is later on. I want to get a grip in the basics and simple stuff first and then move on, looks like CamBam can handle this as well, so I am leaning towards this ATM, but open to hear suggestions, especially from those who started off green like me.

Anyway, my experience so far is I tried to use Pycam, (took 1/2 day to get it going), but failed miserably trying to produce any code, and there does not seem to be a manual available, that I can find. Some links direct to website and a Wiki, but they do not seem to produce any manual. Looks like a cool program, and hey it's free. Once I get a better understanding of machining I may give it another try.

I had some minor success with Sketchup and CNC 2.5D Profile plugin, produced code to cut outline of tools and it actually worked, with some trickery of my machine. The code cuts in positive Z and I have set up to cut Negative, as Mach Tutorial setup advised. Bottom line it worked. DazzDownUnda - YouTube

I'm back on shift tomorrow for 4days so will not be in shed on machine, but look forward to reading your suggestions and planing for next days off.

Thanks in advance

Cheers