Australia Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience

Thread: Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience

Gday everyone again.

So my mind has switched to getting a Carving CNC 6x-1500GT USB. I've done a fair whack of reading forums I can find to suss it out some what but a few things just arnt clicking in my brain. So if anyone can shed a little light on this to me or point me in the right direction that would be great.

1. I'm assuming its a kit cnc router. Is this correct. I'm pretty handy. Is there anything people have trouble fixing together or dramas with when constructing the machine?
    2. The machine is water cooled? How does this work? Pros cons of this water cooled system.
    3. Does it come with software? Or what would I use to control the machine and code my program's?
    4. Does it have emergency switches?
    5. Does it have limiter switches?
    6. Is the 4 axis attachment worth it? I've never used a 4th axis but am keen to expand into that area. Or should I wait till one day I get a bigger machine with a 4th axis.
    7. Anything I need to convert to work in good old Aussie?

Any other info anyone can help with or point me in the right direction would be very appreciated.

thanks cnc people

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience

I bought the 6040S80, which is the predecessor to the unit you're looking at. The machinery part is the same, but the new unit has improved guts in the control box.

1. I'm assuming its a kit cnc router. Is this correct. I'm pretty handy. Is there anything people have trouble fixing together or dramas with when constructing the machine?

Nope. Goes together very easily - just need a set of metric allen keys - long handled ones are good.

2. The machine is water cooled? How does this work? Pros cons of this water cooled system.

It's very quiet, doesn't blow any air around. I have a 20l bucket from Bunnings under the bench half full of water with a bit of antifreeze (not sure why, but everyone does it).

3. Does it come with software? Or what would I use to control the machine and code my program's?

It comes with a cracked copy of Mach 3, which will control the machine based on gcode files - you need a program to convert drawings to gocde - Cut 2D is a common starting point. The copy of Mach 3 that they provide is handy to get going with, but most people then purchase a proper Mach 3 licence.

4. Does it have emergency switches?

Only on the control box. If you want one on or near the machine, you'd need to add it yourself (unless the control box is close enough).

5. Does it have limiter switches?

Nope. Plenty of people have added them. On a machine like this, there's not much harm done if you crash into the limit of an axis (although you should obviously avoid doing so).

6. Is the 4 axis attachment worth it? I've never used a 4th axis but am keen to expand into that area. Or should I wait till one day I get a bigger machine with a 4th axis.

Everyone seems to order one with their machine, often without really knowing what they'd do with it, and then discover that it's as weak as piss. Trust me, don't bother with it.

7. Anything I need to convert to work in good old Aussie?

Provided you order the correct voltage unit, nope, it'll be good to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

I concur with what Russ has said. I recently bought a X6 1500GT but I am still learning to drive it. I've made several simple items.
    Currently setting up a Fogbuster for cutting Ali.

I bought Mach3 and Cut2D .
    I even bought the 4th axis without knowing what I'd use it for....lol Maybe making chess pieces?

The USB card is a AKZ250. Very little I/O is used for the X6 so there is plenty of I/O for expansion , if you wish. Info on the Net for this card is scant, if you want detailed info, but the basic stuff is out there.
    Follow the Quick Start setup guide and you won't have any problems.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience-x6-1500_quick_start-pdf   Carving CNC 6x-1500GT - anyone got experience-usb-motion-card-akz250-manual-v1-17-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks heaps. I'm getting one. Can other software control the machine? Or only windows ?

Downloads
    Uploads

There's motion control software for other OS's such as Linux, but the tricky bit is finding one that'll talk to the AKZ250 board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ah ok. So well ill use Mach 3 then. So I'm looking to code by hand and do some computer graphic drawings to cut into timber. What program would I use to write in to generate a graphical representation of what my code says?

Ie:
    #1=DX
    #2=100
    G172 X0 Y0 Z1 S18 E2
    G41
    G101 X=#1 Y0 Z 5 F5
    G40
    G101 X=#1 Y0

Example only

Downloads
    Uploads

If you load the gcode into Mach3 it'll show you the tool paths in a little window (which I think you can make bigger). There's probably dedicated gcode viewers out there too.