Australia / New Zealand - Yet another CNC conversion of a 3-axis Mill

Thread: / New Zealand - Yet another CNC conversion of a 3-axis Mill

Default / New Zealand - Yet another CNC conversion of a 3-axis Mill

Hi Guys,

A couple of years ago I bought a DM45-1 3 axis manual mill from Scott Machinery in Christchurch, and quickly began the CNC conversion.
    I'm documenting the process over on Design and Motion, which is a blog that I guest-write on:

DIY CNC machining from scratch | Mechanical Conversion | Design & Motion

I've often referred to these forums in the past for information, and I thought it was time that I gave something back.
    The post above is only the 1st in a series, but I hope the info may be useful to others planning or working on a conversion.

I've had good results with the machine so far, but now I want more precision / better surface finish, so I'm just beginning the upgrade to ballscrews.

On the CAM side, if anyone is interested in free CAM software that is really powerful, let me know. Autodesk are doing some awesome stuff in this field. Their 2.5D milling solutions are free add-ons for Solidworks and Inventor, and they are working on a cloud-based solution too which is currently in public beta. Awesome stuff!

Gav