Ball Screws in Australia?

Thread: Ball Screws in Australia?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ball Screws in Australia?

Hi,
    I am converting a HM-30 (RF-30 Clone) to cnc, the stock screws have too much backlash and I am looking to go to ball screws, can anyone recommend a supplier in Australia or am I better off to order from the US?

I need to ask a few questions so a company that does CNC would be a great help.

thanks

Lee McLaren
    Tasmania, Australia

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Applied Automation and Engineering handle Isel rolled ballscrews as do http://cvtech.com.au/ Isel are the cheapest ballscrews I could find in Australia.

Cheers
    Splint

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Splint

Applied Automation and Engineering has the 25mm version so off to do some measuring..

regards

Lee McLaren

Downloads
    Uploads

Universal bearings at Wetherill Park (Sydney) I've fornd has well priced bearings and ball screws http://www.universalbearings.com.au/ Neil Tibbles is a good, helpful contact

Glenn
    www.metalbashatorium.com

In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got 16mmx5mm pitch ballscrews for my project from www.appliedauto.com.au in Melbourne. Cheapest I was able to find - equivalent THK was 3-4 times the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

What sort of money Gimbal

Iv'e been looking at HomeshopCNC prices which seem real good till you change
    the dollars and add freight

Greolt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt
    What sort of money Gimbal

Iv'e been looking at HomeshopCNC prices which seem real good till you change
    the dollars and add freight

Greolt
    2 x 460mm travel $155 odd each
    1 x 360mm travel $148 odd each
    ballnuts $115 each
    This included machining to ISEL catalog standard.

Figure $270 per axis

This was June 2005 so YMMV - at the time this was well worthwhile to me as second hand ebay 20mmx5mm pitch screws were worth about this when freight was included.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys,

I would recommend contacting Action Bearings.
    (http://www.actionbearings.com.au/)

A mate of mine just converted his mill to rolled ball screws with 2 nuts on each axis and I'm positive that the total cost was below $500.

This was for 3 pieces of thread and 6 ball nuts.

It was the Kensington branch that was contacted and the sales rep was Brett.

If you purchase from them maybe you could mention that Jayson from Horsham recommended them.

I don't get anything out of this however I have pestered them quite a bit and they haven’t got any of my money... yet. A few purchasers might make up for it a bit.

I will definitely be purchasing from here once my finances allow.

Regards,

Jayson
    (Horsham, Victoria)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lmclaren
    Hi,
    I am converting a HM-30 (RF-30 Clone) to cnc, the stock screws have too much backlash and I am looking to go to ball screws, can anyone recommend a supplier in Australia or am I better off to order from the US?

I need to ask a few questions so a company that does CNC would be a great help.

thanks

Lee McLaren
    Tasmania, Australia
    I would be interested in following your progress with this project as I am interested in converting my HM-35 to CNC. Will you be makng this a project on the web pages here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Guy's

I can back splint up on his recommendation for the ISEL gear from Applied Auto, I use the 16mm screws all the time and you can adjust the backlash right out of the nuts with their neat little side clamp system

"A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ball Screws in Australia?

I've been doing some hunting around too, funnily enough I got quoted $200/metre for the screws from an aussie supplier, but "280" for the nut. He couldn't have meant $2.80 lol, that surprises me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, how the time does fly.....10+ years and you still get a reply......I wonder if the Chinese were selling back in 2006.

BTW....any cheap rolled ballscrew can be made good if you run 2 ball nuts on them.....this is not to be confused with a double ball nut.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd be interested also, but as with all my Linear bearings OS seems the only way to go, maybe BST Motion on Aliexpress or even a used one from the states or elsewhere. might be worth the gamble.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow, how the time does fly.....10+ years and you still get a reply......I wonder if the Chinese were selling back in 2006.

BTW....any cheap rolled ballscrew can be made good if you run 2 ball nuts on them.....this is not to be confused with a double ball nut.
    Ian.
    Ian could you clarify? How does 2 ball nuts provide an advantage? I thought a double ball nut was the way to achieve preload and reduce backlash.

Downloads
    Uploads

wouldn't 2 nuts provide some error averaging along the screws axis? especially if they had some preload....

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.........first you have to understand what a double ball nut is.......it's two nuts screwed together with a spacer between them .......the amount of "screwing together" you have against the spacer determines the amount of preload you want to offset heavy loading.

A single nut can be preloaded by having oversize balls that force them into tight contact with the screw, but eventually the balls wear and or the screw too and so you have backlash in some parts of the screw mainly the centre where you do most of your work.

If you have two single ball nuts placed flange to flange and a resilient spacer between them you can have a backlash free screw all along the screw even if it's a cheap rolled screw that has seen better days......the resilient spacer allows you to have a tight backlash free nut for the worn sections and the unworn sections too without binding.

Reballing a worn nut for a worn screw with bigger balls will only make it over-tight on the unworn sections at the ends where you don't use it much.
    Ian.