Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Hi all,
    If anyone's interested i'm planning to start work on building a smaller version of a Joe's 2006.
    Would have liked to build it full size but just dont have the floor space in my work shop to dedicate to it. I have access to a couple of full size CNC router tables for larger work anyway, so my thinking is to scale it back to around 80% and give my self a usable cutting area of around 450mm x 900mm just for the convenience of having it in the shop.

It will be more of a desk top Joes version but running a router rather than a dremmel so it still has enough grunt and accuracy to cut stuff out.

I have done the prelim CAD work to size it the way I want allowing for the use of metric MDF sheet sizes.

It will be a bit of a long drawn out project, but it will get there.
    Would welcome any advice along the way.

regards,

Gully

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-front-elevation-assembled-measurements-pdf  
    Last edited by ger21; 06-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the Joe's 2006 design, I look forward to following your build.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for dropping by voltsandbolts.
    My scaled down metric drawings are basically complete, currently waiting on some parts to turn up in the mail so as to make sure they are actually dimentionally the same as my plans, and for work to quieten down enough for me to start cutting some MDF parts out.
    Hopefully by the end of this month I will have something on to show.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a chance to get a bit more done.
    Have managed to cut out the x and y axis torsion box's. for the most part all is good. I stuffed up the end pieces on the x axis so will need to recut them I seem to have mixed up the files and cut a prelim drawing so now the pipe holes on the ends are out of alignment with the rest of the x axis.
    Sux to be me!
    Will sort out my drawings and recut them with some other parts next chance I get.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-cut_parts_1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-trial_fit-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good Gully.
    Look forward to seeing your progess.

Cheers
    Peter

The ingenuity of idiots is unlimited.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cncnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a few hours spare today so decided to glue up my x axis.
    I jigged up some 50 x 50 steel tube on my work bench and got it all nice and level and set up the parts using the outside edges of the steel tube to lock against the step on the cross pieces so they would all line up, got them square then glued.
    Very happy with the result of my two hours of tinkering. will seal the MDF internals during the week then put the top and bottom sheet on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-x-axis-set-square-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-x-axis-glue-2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm following with interest Gully. I'm building a JOES myself (minus access to any cnc machines......), so read with envy that you started only a couple of weeks ago and are already gluing-up!!!

Nice work. Keep the photos coming. - Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Yes it's going OK, so far so good. Not sure how long the momentum will last as work is really busy at present and I can't push on to much further until some parts turn up so I can confirm their actual sizing and hole centres etc.
    I will probably only be able to finish up the x axis and install the rails at this stage.
    (one of the drawbacks of starting without all the parts in hand)

I am also redesigning/ altering the z axis to make it more compact but still able to hold a small router. thinking on this is to make the most of the smaller table width.
    I will post a pic of the drawing on my next post.
    I'm sure it will also slow down again when I get to the wiring and software set up stage.
    Are you running a build thread on your joes?

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

gully,

Looks like it's coming along well. Keep up the good work!

Rob.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

For those who are interested,
    Here is what i'm planning for the z axis.
    As I have reduced the size of the machine to around 80% building the head from MDF as per plans just makes it to big and bulky for my liking and will eat away at how much usable y axis travel I end up with.

I will attempt to build a more conventional set up from stock aluminium channel extrusion and sheet aluminium and steel. I will also be using 16mm shafting and linear bearings to suit rather than the stock skate bearing Ubolt set up. again to save some space and get the router back closer to the gantry.
    A bit more mucking around and cost involved but I think I will end up with a more accurate and robust set up this way. We will see!
    also picked up the 20NB pipe rails today as I needed to get some steel for another job I have on. So thats something else I can tinker with.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-z-axis-prelim-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You inspired me to start my build thread Gully! Still following yours with interest.........
    I too am changing the Z axis, although not as dramatically as yourself! Just including 16mm rods and linear bearings instead of the u-bolt set-up. I got them off ebay from a supplier in Melb. Let me know if you want the details.
    My thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...306#post788306

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    Yes the z axis change is not really in keeping with the Joes philosophy, but it all boilded down to available space. Smaller machine = smaller clearances, same thickness MDF= 20% less available space. Had to get it back somehow.

Checked out your new Gully inspired build thread this morning over breakfast.
    Very nice work, you clearly have far to much spare time, patience, and ability to cut all those parts by hand. I will also be following along with your thread with interest.

gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Have now basically completed the X axis torsion box assembly.
    Painted it in a nice 2 tone finish of charcoal hammertone with clear finished MDF inserts.
    Made up the tensioner rods from 5mm round bar and threaded the ends. Once it is polished it wil look heaps better than allthread and it's only $1 per mtr.
    Also trial fitted my pipe rails, will try to clean them up at some point this week as well.
    Have a plan to try and spin them in my wood lathe and then attack the galv with a course 3m pad to remove it.
    Can't do much more until I get time to cut some more parts out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-rails-sitting-place-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-rod-close-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-torsion-box-paint-1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice paint job.....

I'm liking the paint job Gully. I've been looking at paint options recently and that's different to anything I've seen. Nice.

Out of interest, did you just glue it all together and clamp it? Or use some form of small fasteners/tacks? My MDF just splits/delaminates no matter what method I use. Did some experimental gluing/clamping and it seems to stick real well so was just going to go with that.

-Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig,
    It's all just glued together and held in place with clamps to dry, I drew the slots at 12.20mm so the tolerence in them is tight.
    By the time I gave everything a light sand it all just slid together and was rigid even without glue. The way Joe designed the box is spot on for it's intended purpose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good gully, I like the color scheme.

Deeds not words...

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a bit of time to experiment this afternoon.
    About 8 years ago my kids gave me a wood lathe for Xmas. Nice present but never had time, space or inclination to set it up and use it.
    But today all that changed. I got it down from storage, turned a couple of timber plugs to suit the ID of the pipe, then unbolted the 2 halves and clamped it to my work bench. Set one of my pipe rails up in it with the plugs fitted and turned it on. 10 minutes later using 3M scothbright pads one very shiny smooth rail with a minimum of fuss.
    I love it when that happens!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-rail-polish-set-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update:
    I can recommend using the wood lathe if you have one to clean up the pipes.
    Got all 6 pipe rails cleaned up and semi polished in under an hour on mine.
    What a mess the galv makes
    May yet send them out to be properly polished to a mirror finish.
    Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Dispite being swamped with work for the last week or so, I have managed to get the rest of my MDF parts cut.
    I've also glued up my Y axis gantry and bottom torsion boxes. I still need to do a bit of work on the gantry sides, they are cut out but I still need to add the slots etc for the bearing rails. (yes...your right, he forgot to run that part of the job before removing the parts! )
    Not sure if I will bother to re set them up and CNC them, probably just jig them up and use the hand router for such a small job.
    Will post some pics when my camera batteries are charged up.
    Gully

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Glad to hear you'll have the power tools out Gully!!! Welcolm to my world of straight edges, minor adjustments, and triple checking measurements!!!
    -Craig.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast