Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2 - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Currently thinking of turning it into a clock face.
    I think it would make a nice clock face! Just drill it in the centre and pull apart a 12" clock from the Warehouse or other discount store and use the hands and mechanism.

About your rotuer collets, often if you tighten a 6.35mm (1/4") collet to 6mm they can bend and get some runout. I made some collets for my Ozito router using ym little 7x20 metal lathe, the main one I use is 6mm which like you said is great for metric endmills etc.

The collet taper angle is 20 degrees, I've seen other chinese collets and different brands with 20' taper. I have a little air die grinder with 3mm and 6mm collets with the same taper that also fit in the Ozito, so asking at any decent power tool store might find you some collets. As you do sign engraving you might want to get a 1/8" collet too for all those tiny engraving bits.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    I think it would make a nice clock face! Just drill it in the centre and pull apart a 12" clock from the Warehouse or other discount store and use the hands and mechanism.

About your rotuer collets, often if you tighten a 6.35mm (1/4") collet to 6mm they can bend and get some runout. I made some collets for my Ozito router using ym little 7x20 metal lathe, the main one I use is 6mm which like you said is great for metric endmills etc.

The collet taper angle is 20 degrees, I've seen other chinese collets and different brands with 20' taper. I have a little air die grinder with 3mm and 6mm collets with the same taper that also fit in the Ozito, so asking at any decent power tool store might find you some collets. As you do sign engraving you might want to get a 1/8" collet too for all those tiny engraving bits.
    Hi Roman,
    I have actually asked around quite a few tool places for suitable collets but have had no joy with them, they are happy to sell me a router or die grinder with them but they dont seem to have just the collets.

I dont have a lathe (It's about the only tool I don't have ) Are you interested in turning me out a custom Ozito 6mm collet insert? happy to pay

regards,

Gully

Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Darn now I put my foot in it!

They are quite a bit of work, probably and hour and half including the lathe time and slitting them with a saw then parting them off the rod and finishing the end up. And you caught me right at the busy time here!

I think that precisebits.com made router collets that fit the 20 degree taper, I thought of getting some before (he's a forum member too). You could give him an email and if tha works out no good then let me know. I need to make a couple more collet sizes for me sometime in the new year so I can do one for you then.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all
    Nice to see that some people are interested in the smaller Joe's plans.
    If you are going to build one, please run a build log on this site so I can follow along with you and possibly answer any questions you may have.

Been really busy with work right over the Xmas/new year period. As soon as I get time Im planning to rebuild my spoil board as the blind nut inserts are not cutting it for me. They hold really well, but never seem to be in the right spot for the job at hand.
    So I plan on adding 1/4" mini T slot track lengths to the new board.
    Will update with pics when underway

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    Finally finished the paint on my Mayan calander.
    It now has some nice copper bronze detail showing through the aged patina finish (Pics never seem to do these finishes justice). You would never pick it as being cut in MDF
    Still thinking of making it a clock, (cant rush these things)
    If I get time next week, I will make a start on the new spoil board

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-mayan-finished-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Vary vary nice work. In the pic it looks almost Mahogany.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi gully, can you please post a part list of youre machine??? thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by agguilar View Post
    Hi gully, can you please post a part list of youre machine??? thank you.
    Hi agguilar,
    Sorry, I dont have a parts list for my machine, but as its just a scaled down Joes the parts are basically the same only smaller and metric. If you have a copy of Joes plans there is a parts list for the machine.
    My Z axis is different, but a few posts back you will find the plans for my verson, so between them and Joes list you should be able to figure out what you need.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

just read this from cover to cover
    one of the neatest own-builds I've seen
    11 out of 10 for effort!

looks like it's producing good result too - excellent stuff

and thanks for sharing the metric plans

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

great build thread gully.
    excellent attention to detail!

that mayan calender though is only good till late next year though ; figure they couldn't be bothered counting any more hehehe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by psyolent View Post
    great build thread gully.
    excellent attention to detail!

that mayan calender though is only good till late next year though ; figure they couldn't be bothered counting any more hehehe
    Thanks psyolent,
    Yes based on the mayan calander I plan to take out an extra large bank loan mid next year, safe in the knowledge I wont need to repay it
    I noticed on craigs build log you were asking about cutting aluminium with the joes.
    I have successfully dry cut and milled sheet ally up to 6mm with mine, lower spindle speeds(running a superPID) ramped shallow cuts and positive chip removal with vac head seems to work well and doesnt generate too much heat in cutter or part.

gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like my new spoil board will be delayed.
    I need to use 3mm countersunk screws to hold the tracking in place. so I plan to use Tnuts on the back of the board to hold them in so they dont pull out.
    Nobody in Australia appears to carry stock of 3mm T nuts. Go figure!
    I dont have enough of them left in stock from other projects, So the short version is I need to wait until my favorite overseas hobby store has some more stock and then I will order them there.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nice work!

hi Gully
    Well done on the mayan Calendar! How did you setup the design? Was it a pic that was imported or something? How did you get it from design to mach3?

Nice finish on the Calendar. How did you achieve that aged look?

well done
    Cheers Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sli21 View Post
    hi Gully
    Well done on the mayan Calendar! How did you setup the design? Was it a pic that was imported or something? How did you get it from design to mach3?

Nice finish on the Calendar. How did you achieve that aged look?

well done
    Cheers Scott
    Hi Scott,
    The hard work on the design was done by someone else on this site I think it was from carveones build log in the wood router section, anyway they posted the file and I downloaded it.
    Made a few changes in my cad package then imported it into Vcarve and sorted out the cut files there and exported the gcode to mach3, Job done!

The aged bronze look is done by building up colour.
    Simple answer is you start with a dark brown base then coat it all with a copper bronze colour, then you 'age' it with layers of brown black wash selectivly steel wooling or rubbing areas areas between coats until it looks old and dirty with just a hint of bronze showing through in parts.
    It looks better in real life than in the photos.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    Yes it's been a while, The new spoil board is finally built, installed and levelled.
    Much nicer to use and set up with the mini track.
    Currently using expanded PVC board as the raised sacrificial area to see how it performs (because I had it laying around). seems to be doing the job just fine, but if it turns out to be a bit soft I will replace it with acrylic strips.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-spoilboard2-1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-spoilboard2-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Looks greate!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Great build - very classy!

well done Gully! looks excellent. Cant see a spec of dust anywhere! are you sure you have used it

Got any tips or resources for setting up a ps2 controller as a pendant. My boys have almost grown out of the ps2 and i noticed in one of your pics that you use one.
    cheers scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sli21 View Post
    well done Gully! looks excellent. Cant see a spec of dust anywhere! are you sure you have used it

Got any tips or resources for setting up a ps2 controller as a pendant. My boys have almost grown out of the ps2 and i noticed in one of your pics that you use one.
    cheers scott
    Hi Scott,
    My controller is just a generic USB PC unit (It cost me aroud $3 on ebay with free shipping) I wasnt expecting much from it, but it hasnt missed a beat. So I will stick with it until it gets broken.
    It is set up with the key grabber program that either came with Mach3 or was downloaded from their site (cant remember)
    Very easy to set up If you cant find the keygrabber software drop me a PM
    P.S, Ther is no mess because the dust collecter head works really well. They are a must have item in my book.
    Gully

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gully

where did you source your cable chain / carriers from and for how much?
    awesome build btw.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBoat View Post
    Gully

where did you source your cable chain / carriers from and for how much?
    awesome build btw.
    Hi BananaBoat,
    I picked it up off ebay out of China, Can't for the life of me remember from who or how much it cost. (Im getting old and forgetful!)
    Best bet is an ebay search for cable carrier or cable drag chain. That should give you all the info.

regards,

Gully

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast