Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2 - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mr Chips,
    The vac attachment is a thermo molded clear plastic unit designed to take a standard vac hose. (the router had 2 of them in its box)
    Hopefully it will have enough volume to do the job or I will look at ways of fitting the other one as well.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Epilogue to a fun Joe's build

Well I think Ive reached the end of my Joe's build log.
    After 3 versions and several sub versions, I now have a functioning dust shoe that Im happy with. Pic is of the final R & D design just after I had finished cutting out a part (I havent cleaned work area), I will now build a nicer more refined version of it for final use. The little rubber skirt is held on with velcro so you can open up the front and easily see in to set the Z to 0 on the material. I have made 3 versions of the skirt in S, M & L so depending on what length bit I have to use I have a suitable skirt.
    So far it has worked very well and nothing appears to escape it's vacuum.

The machine is running a treat, cuts really well and to an accuracy far better than I will ever need.
    If I do anything else with or to my Joe's worth mentioning I will post it here. Thanks to all those who have shown interest and provided input and encouragement along the way.
    Thanks Joe for a great DIY design.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-working-dust-shoe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Congradulations on a job well done!

Now that it's up and running you have to post a few pics of things you have made with it...

Rob.

Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I've had my Joe's operational for a few weeks now and all is going really well with it.
    The final version of the dust shoe I made is working a treat, I just need to spend some development time and make a quicker method of attachement and removal.
    Made and fitted top mount holder for the router so it's rock solid on it's axis now.

The little Ozito router is still doing it's thing and going strong. I have found as expected the spindle on it has a fair bit of runout (around .2mm) But by tweeking the cutter size in Cut 2D to take this into account and fine tuning the steps per unit in Mach3 I have it cutting consistantly within the .015mm range. I dont think that's too shabby for a <$60 router running on a home made machine.
    I will fiddle with the steps per unit a bit more to see if I can get it in the .00+ range, but for the type of work I have it doing, it's more than good enough as it is.
    I'm still getting a buzz out of just watching it run and thinking "Gee I made that."

Gully

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a beautiful build Gully! To see what you started out with, the bare wood etc and then see the very professional end result is impressive!

I wish I had your flair for that final polish and finish. The stuff I make works well but usually looks like a gorilla built it...

Re the Ozito router, I'm on my second one now and quite happy with it. The runout of the router is probably not that bad, it seems to be their crappy collets that are the problem. I made some simple steel collets on my little 7x20 metal lathe and now can use many different tool sizes in the Ozito with practically zero runout; less than 0.001". I use 3/32" and 1/8" Dremel tools for a lot of fine stuff, and 6mm shank endmills etc for most of the heavy lifting.

If you have a dial gauge you can put it on the inner bore cone of the Ozito, you will probably fine quite a decent runout there based on my 2 models. One of the Ozito's I testing in Bunnings was terrible for runout, and the collet looked mis-shapen on that one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    That's a beautiful build Gully! To see what you started out with, the bare wood etc and then see the very professional end result is impressive!

I wish I had your flair for that final polish and finish. The stuff I make works well but usually looks like a gorilla built it...

Re the Ozito router, I'm on my second one now and quite happy with it. The runout of the router is probably not that bad, it seems to be their crappy collets that are the problem. I made some simple steel collets on my little 7x20 metal lathe and now can use many different tool sizes in the Ozito with practically zero runout; less than 0.001". I use 3/32" and 1/8" Dremel tools for a lot of fine stuff, and 6mm shank endmills etc for most of the heavy lifting.

If you have a dial gauge you can put it on the inner bore cone of the Ozito, you will probably fine quite a decent runout there based on my 2 models. One of the Ozito's I testing in Bunnings was terrible for runout, and the collet looked mis-shapen on that one.

Thanks for your kind words RomanLini,
    Yes Im very pleased how it all turned out, my only regret is I wish I had made it a little bigger. (next one! )
    You are spot on RE: the collets in the Ozito, Still you can't complain, they were never meant or designed to be used for CNC machines.
    Down the track I plan to put a better quality router or die grinder on board.

Off the topic of my Joes, Ive been following the SuperPID speed controller you were working on. Very nice and useful piece of kit (I Purchased one yesterday) looking forward to it arriving.

Gully

Striving for medeocrity..and achieving high scores!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re the SuperPID, thank you and if you need any help with the install I'll try to be close at hand.

How are you going for tool height setting? I designed an open source tool height setter you can cut out of a flat piece of 12mm acrylic in a few minutes, and it will detect down to 0.01mm accuracy, well mine does, part of that will depend on your Z axis backlash.

There's photos of the tool height setter in my build thread and a simple Corel drawing of it as it only needs a 2D cutout. I just thought it might be a perfect addition to your machine for engraving and cutting precise depth inlay pockets etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Re the SuperPID, thank you and if you need any help with the install I'll try to be close at hand.

How are you going for tool height setting? I designed an open source tool height setter you can cut out of a flat piece of 12mm acrylic in a few minutes, and it will detect down to 0.01mm accuracy, well mine does, part of that will depend on your Z axis backlash.

There's photos of the tool height setter in my build thread and a simple Corel drawing of it as it only needs a 2D cutout. I just thought it might be a perfect addition to your machine for engraving and cutting precise depth inlay pockets etc.
    Hi Romanlini,
    Thanks for the help offer on setting up the SuperPID. If I get confussed I will holler.
    I currently have a tool height set up based on the 'another aussie autotool zero setter forum' which is working great. But would like to look at your set up as well, can you post a link to your build thread.

Gully

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen the simple tool height setter with the PCB, but I don't like that it needs electrical contact with the cutting tool to detect. Also loose PCB on top of your machine can be a bit warped, dust under it, etc so I'm not sure about its accuracy.

Mine is rigid and self contained so it needs no electrical contact to the tool, although on my setup now the top bar is grounded anyway and so is the tool.

You can see it about halfway down page1 of my build thread;
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...tml#post839809

Last edited by RomanLini; 10-23-2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: addition

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there to you all! As I started to design my own design, and am struggling with some other issues and lots of time! And i saw that you use the metric system in your design, do you have the blueprints in metric? Is there any way i can get my hands on them - please!

PS. Its beautiful build! Great craftsmanship!

Last edited by Sturmer; 10-26-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

PPS.

is that BF-109 in background i see?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...0&d=1281160515

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sturmer,
    Thanks for the complements on the build.
    Sorry Im not making my plans available as the design is not mine.
    You can download the original plans for the Joes 2006R2 from rapidlibrary.com
    Just type in joes 2006 and it will pop up.
    I just modified those to suit my needs.
    The plane in the background is a Ju87B Stuka I scratch built years ago from 3 views, I made several non flying versions for a movie as props ( I think they just blew them up). This one was a spare and got the full treatment. it does get some air time every now and then.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-stuka1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,
    Just a brief update to bring you up to speed on how things are going with my Joe's.
    Machine has not missed a beat so far.
    Since my last post I have rebuilt my control box and installed a SuperPID.
    It has been a great addition,
    Ended up purchasing VCarve Pro (Hey it's Xmas!) So have been mucking around with it in what spare time I have at present.
    Ended up downloading and cutting that Mayan calander file from some 18mm MDF just to experiment with.
    I'm currently adding paint layers to age it and give it an old bronze patina look
    The pic is in the early stages of that process.

Good News.
    I have had quite a few PM's from people wanting to get copies of the plans.
    Originally I wasnt going to put them out there as the design is not mine.
    (And I wanted to make sure it wasnt going to fall apart)
    But on further reflection, I've decided that when I get time in the new year, I will sort through my files, make any changes that are needed and upload them here.
    That way anyone who wants to have a go at building a smaller metric version can just download the files.

Hope you all have a great Xmas

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-new-control-box-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-mayan-calander-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-mayan-calander1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gully
    Looking forward to day we can get a copy of your plans .
    Thank you .
    Now we just need a list of materials needed to make one.

Greg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gully! It's great to see that SuperPID installed, and congrats on the VCarve Pro! In your line of work and with your painting skills you'll be able to do magic with that software.

I reckon those Mayan calendars would be quite sellable too with a "old bronze patina" look. Even half finished there with the base bronze look it's easy to see that it will be stunning when done. I guess you'll add some dark touches to make it look old? Like when you polish old metal the high areas look metallic while the crevices etc have that dark tarnished look?

Merry Christmas Gully!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Loving ya work Gully. Thanks for the update, good to hear everything going well.

Out of interest, what cutting tool do you use in the Ozito? I still haven't purchased my router. Ozito $60, Maktec $130, Makita $300, Spindle $510 ..... ? It's all a bit of an experiment at this stage so maybe I should just stick with the Ozito (dust extraction attachment and all.....). Interested in hearing your thoughts.

- Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    The Ozito has been going a treat so far and would be happy to suggest it as a first machine on your Joe's. The only thing that lets them down is the 1/4"collet insert is a bit average. Dont use the supplied tools as they are made from rubber pretending to be metal.
    Most metric end mills I use have a 6mm shank (not quite 1/4'') so you really have to do them up tight to stop them comming loose and eating a very deep hole into your job.
    The stock dust extractor head makes building a dust shoe very easy.
    (It's worth getting it just for that.)
    Im now running it with a superPID so rather than have it going flat out I can accuratly run it from 10000 -17000 rpm ( really quite cutting and a lot less bearing wear)
    As your machine is a full sized Joes, have you looked at any 1/2'' collet routers as they would give you much more choice for being able to use larger tool sizes.

mill bits: I have a range of 2 flute HSS spiral upcut mill bits (1mm-6mm) all with 6mm shanks. plus some 2 flute carbide upcutters 1/4" shanks and several V bit cutters (45-60 deg) and some engraving bits as they best suit what I want to do with my machine.
    I will PM you details of where I get them from.

Have a great Xmas

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to add this to my last post,
    Still progressivly ageing my calander to an old bronze look, (Yes I know the Mayans carved them in stone not metal )I now have a nice copper bronze detail showng through now. final step will be to add a little bit of what is known in the trade as "dirt" wash into the recessed areas and a satin clear coat to seal it all up.
    Currently thinking of turning it into a clock face.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-mayan3-upload-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Joe's metric DXF files

It's a cold crappy day in Melbourne so I thought I would make a start on sorting my files to upload. It didnt take as long as I thought it would so now you can have them for Xmas I think they are all here.
    If you have downloaded the Joes files and have read through Joes build log my build log you should have a pretty good idea of how it will go together and what you need to do to make that happen.
    Note: They are my working files as per my build, they are not as pretty or as detailed as Joes.
    You may also need to make changes to them to suit your version of the build.
    Not everything is detailed or drawn (such as the angle bearing supports)
    It is very much a builders build as you will need to source someone to cut the parts required etc and use a bit of common engineering sense as you make it.
    If you dont have basic tools such as a drill press, saw capable of cutting aluminium extrusion or the ability to use them safely, I would suggest that this is not a build for you.
    The aluminium Z axis is a lot of work and mucking around but it works really well.
    Files are supplied as is and I make no guarantees what so ever about their accuracy or suitability. Use them entirely at your own risk.

I also neither have the time or want to supply any cut parts if you take on this project.

Don't forget the drawings are METRIC and will only work with METRIC MDF

Now with all the disclaimers and usual negativity out of the way, If I havent put you off and you want to build a smaller metric version of a Joes that will give you a usable cut area of around 750 x 500mm, enjoy my xmas present to CNCzone

Gully

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Gully
    "YOU THE MAN"
    What a nice Christmas present to get .Off to get the MDF tomorrow if we are not flooded .
    Queensland nice one day flooded the next

You have a good Christmas and a happy New Year

Greg

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast