Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2 - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Downloads
    Uploads

I tinkered away my evenings this week finishing off the z axis and router mount.
    If I didnt have that thing together and apart more than a dozen times while adjusting this drilling and tapping that etc, etc... anyway enough of the moaning as it is finally done and fitted to the Y gantry . I shouldnt need to remove it again unless something unforseen happens. Both it's lead screw and the Y lead screw are now cut to size and installed on their bearings and all runs smoothly when turned by hand from limit to limit.
    Plan for the weekend is to final assemble the X axis and have the whole thing together.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-z-axis-completed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Big moment day today for my little Joes.
    After cutting down the pipe rails for the x axis to suit, all the finished parts went together for their final test fit and to sort out the lead screw attachment for the x axis.
    I am pleased to say that there were no surprises or problems with the final fit of any of the parts which is a relief. I've run all the axis up and down with a drill attached and all works like a charm
    Measured the usable cutting area while it was together just to check against my drawing estimates of X 750, Y 500, Z 145
    Actual cut areas: X 780mm Y 525mm Z 145mm
    I will loose around 16mm in height from the Z once I fit a spoil board.
    It also works out that if I bevel the underside edge of my spoil board it will clear over the top of the bearings so I can extend it out to within 5 mm of the gantry to act as a cover and help keep saw dust etc off the rails and out of the working parts.

Next items on the to do list are the motor mounts now that I have the correct spacing for them. also need to make up some fittings to hold a spoil board down and build a stand to put this puppy on.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-assembled-lead-screws-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Mate I'm excited for you.........ok and possibly a little jealous too!!!

Really lookin' the goods. Must be a good feeling seeing it slide along as designed.

I'll be interested to hear how that Ozito router goes. You'll be throwing dust around the shed before I get to the stage of choosing a router! Have my eye on a Makita or Bosch Blue Trimmer, but have been thinking of the Ozito as a cheap start to see how things go.

Good luck with the controls.

- Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default hey

Can this machine handle aluminum
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Craig,
    I'm excited too!!

The Ozito is very much a temp tool for my Joe's. They are what they are, a cheap small router, but having said that it gets a fare amount of use as it is quicker to set up for smaller jobs than my big Hitachi and it has performed flawlessly. It still appears to have no bearing slop or movement in its spindle so it will be a good starting point, and I will use it to make the parts needed for a better unit (I have my eye on a short neck Milwaukee variable speed die grinder as the final unit).

Hi zvone, I have no idea how well it will cut aluminium, but I do plan to try it out.

Ther won't be too much visible progress this week as work is busy and I need to make up accessory parts such as the spoil board fixings, and to fit them I need to pull the machine apart as the pipe rails are in the way for the fixings to be installed (poor planning on my behalf. )

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a supplier friend of mine laser cut me some nice black acrylic end covers to keep some of the muck and dust out of the bearings on the head
    neatens things up quite nicely!

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-end-cover-1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-end-cover2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a little while since I added to my build thread.
    Haven't been able to do too much more on my machine as I have a big job on in my small workshop so my Joe's is sitting semi disassembled on the floor of my office.
    But I have been working on the electronic and software side of things.
    I now have the motor mounts and have fitted them and temp fitted the motors to the y and z axis. Did a quick R & D wire up job with the BOB and drivers screwed down to a piece of MDF with a pair of micro limit switches and an E stop and have been working my way through configuring them with Mach3. (sorry no pics, flat batteries in camera)
    I have been surprised at how easy it turned out to be to get it all set up to a basic running unit. (I worked on the watch the Mach3 tutorial, then make that part work principle)
    Have actually managed to impress Wifey and the kids with some moving parts today.

Still a way to go before it's spitting out dust, but my to do list is getting shorter.
    This weeks plan is to try and build it's movable stand and get it painted.

Gully

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doesn't it suck when "work" gets in the way of our hobbies.............

Nice to have some moving parts to impress those who are wondering what the hell you're doing!!!

Hey I browsed a tool store during the week and found the Maktec MT370 http://www.justtools.com.au/prod76.htm

530watts.

It was $130 at my local and feels really reasonable quality. I realise you already have your trimmer, just sharing some info.

Looking forward to some more photos of your beast, and a youtube video maybe???......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-mt370-jpg  
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    I have actually been eyeing off that exact router at my local tool center
    What I like about it is you can put a couple of mounts around the body so it would have no chance of moving under load.
    The only reason I still sold on the Milwaukee at this stage is it has variable speed control and a metal bearing housing (it's an industrial unit), so if I want to have a go at a bit of aluminium I can dial back the RPM's to a less scarey level
    Plus I think it should fit straight into the current mount I have.

Then again the Maktec at around $139.... it's probably not a real deal breaker to get both and use one for timber and the other for special projects.
    (Unless of course if Wifey finds out!!)

Quick question to all the experts out there. Im at the stage of starting to move this puppy with it's steppers and are thinking about lubrication for the ball screws (notice I never think too far ahead hmmm...) My ball screws are fitted grease nipples and I figure they are there for a reason, bearing in mind that this machine will be mainly cutting plastic and timber, should I fill them up with a lithium type grease or should I just lubricate the shaft with a silicone or lithium grease spray or is there another alternative?

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Dispite being run off my feet this week I have managed to build the basic framework of a movable stand for my Joe's. Ended up putting it on 4 lockable casters, it also has screw down feet to level it up
    Hopefully I will find time to get it painted next week and get the router sitting on it.
    No takers on offering up some lube advice?? come on don't be shy.. you know you want to..

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-portable-router-stand-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

With my workshop full, I cant even work on the stand at present
    So I have started to wire up the control panel as I can do this at my desk.
    I also have a couple of lengths of cable drag chain comming that I picked up on ebay so I should be able to look at fitting that while the machine is in the office, but with no space available, can't see me being able to do much more for a few weeks

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-panel-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally able to get back onto my Joe's.
    Current scenareo:
    My workshop is still full , I got fed up not being able to work on it and have basically fully assembled the machine in my office/ vinyl shop. Now this course of action has it's own little issues, ( I cant get it out through the door again without disassembling it, and yes I knew this before I started putting it together so stop laughing!!)
    An executive decision was made to do a long overdue clean out of all the crap I have in there and give it a home in the corner. Naturally I haven't had time as yet to clean out the crap but will need to get onto it and will need to build a dust shoe/ vacuum set up ASAP.

Stuff I have managed to do since my last post:
    Sorted my stand out and painted it
    Made an enclosure for the PC I plan to use and for the driver board
    Made and installed Y axis lead screw cover.
    Fitted most of the cable drag chain
    Run most of the wiring
    Fitted the limit switches
    Modified and fitted a swing arm set up for monitor and keyboard
    Made and installed the spoil board. I put T nuts in it for solid lock down pionts.

Jobs left:
    Tidy up the enclosures
    Fit remaining drag chain
    Lure my sparky mate around for a beer, then make him finish up the AC wiring and switching set up to the router and DC drives and test it all before he gets that second beer.
    Purchase a Mach3 license so I can run more than 500 lines of code.

I think a couple of more weeks and It will be just about ready for a test drive.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-update1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-update2-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-update3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default One small step for CNC, One giant leap for the Gully.

Today was the red letter day.
    Most of the work is now completed apart from an access cover over the electronics and a bit of a tidy up.
    Machine was fired up and I cut a small G from some balsa just to see how it all went.
    It went good and it went not so good

The good bit is that the cutting part went really well. (sorry I dont do video)
    The bad part is my limit switches work perfectly until you power up the stepper motors, then I get an E trip message but nothing on the diagostic board lights up and I can't reset.
    I am assuming that I am getting interference from the motor cables even though they and the limit cable are shielded and the shields earthed. It's all a bit snug in the cable chain... Dam!!!
    Current short turm solution. turn limits off and run machine carefully.
    I've clearly reached my level of incompentency on the electronics side of things. Advise will be warmly accepted..
    The other good news is that seems to be the only issue to deal with
    I've even got my game controller working how I want it too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-near-completion1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-near-completion2-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-near-completion-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work Gully. I'm especially impressed that you resisted the urge to just throw all the wiring & electronics in without care. Makes for easier fault finding process hey!

Your limit switch problem sounds strange. Have you made sure only 1 end of the sheilded cable is earthed? Connecting boths ends of the shields creates a loop which you don't want. Not sure if this is enough to make a problem though?

I think you should do a You tube Vid..........please......?

- Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Craig,
    Yes it does make fault finding easier as everything is labeled and has its own terminal.
    Only one end of all the shielding is to earth so I dont have any shield loops,
    I have set up my limits up as normally closed, that way if a wire ever breaks it will trip the limit
    I put a multi on the return side of each of the limits to make sure it just wasn't voltage drop but got 5v return.
    May set up one set of limits as NO just to see if that fixes the issue
    Its not a show stopper, I will suss it out and get them to work properly, or lure sparky mate back over for another beer.
    Will report back solution when solved.

I'm pretty close to the end of my build log now, Just a few odds and sods plus the dust shoe to go, then to tune the machine up and put it to work.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Yay!!! Problem sorted.
    cable shielding didn't like to be on the common earth.
    Now back to work for me.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MDF dust free to a good home

Last night I made a file in Cut2D to level out the usable area on my spoilboard.
    I know you can do it from within Mach3, but me and Cut 2D have a good working relationship, so I went with that rather than spending the time trying to sort out how its done in Mach3.

Today I bit the bullet and ran it on the machine.
    A few scary moments when I realised that a couple of caps screws that hold the router to the Z axis were undoing themselves half way through the job
    At that point I was chasing the head around with the shop vac to reduce the mess it was making.
    So the shop vac was dropped in favour of tightening back up the screws on the go.
    Yes, I am a danger to myself and a burden on others.
    Despite my game of chase that cap screw, the end result is a nice flat work surface on the spoilboard and a fair bit of dust all around the vac but not in it.
    Dust shoe must be the next job to do (after I put some locktight on a few screws).

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-spoilboard-leveled-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Started working on the dust shoe last night
    Cut my first real part. Yay!!!
    Pic is of Version 1 development template, I have since cut another one with a slightly different shape.
    Got to love the little Ozito router. You would buy it just for the accessories it comes with. Vac adapter ready made to bolt straight onto my dust shoe.

I haven't done anything about tuning up the machine for backlash etc as yet,
    not sure Im going to need to do much for the type of work I do, as my shoe lid cut out when overlayed on a CAD plot of the shape matches outlines exactly.
    Need to sorce some flexable broom material ASAP.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-1st-part-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-dust-shoe1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent work. Is that cast or machined? :rainfro:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast