Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2 - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2

Downloads
    Uploads

Good news!!
    Some of the parts I ordered have finally arrived. My Y & Z lead screws and the 16mm shafting and linear bearings for the Z axis. I will need to make a small alteration to the holes in the bottom Y axis torsion box to match the actual holes in the lead screw as they are slightly different to the specs, but thats what you get for building without all the parts at hand!

Oh Craig, you make me laugh!
    Triple checking measurements? clearly you didn't go to the school of measure once, cut it wrong and blame the wife and or kids!

Working over the week end but might get a bit of time on the build.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-lead-screws-etc-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-torsion-boxes-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Progressed along a bit further today.
    Trial fitted all the parts for the Y axis gantry.
    I'm pleased to say that it all went together without a hitch and is nice and square.

Next job will be to get some aluminium angle during the week and sort out the bearing runners etc.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-lower-torsion-box-attachment1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-lower-torsion-box-attachment-2-a   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-test-fit-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-test-fit-2-jpg  

Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-nice-tight-fit-rail-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quick update for the week.
    No building work, but i have managed to pick up all the bearings.
    Also got the aluminium angle and extrusion I need for the Z axis. Have ordered a few other odds and sods from ebay, I now should have most of the materials needed to complete the basic frame build.
    Still doing the final cad drawings for the z axis with the actual dimentions from the parts I purchased. As it is in aluminium with a lot of holes that all need to line up, I will probably pay a supplier friend of mine to mill them for me rather than hack at it myself

Guess I should start to look at stepper motors, power suppies etc.

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Friday night was pizza and bearing slide production night.
    Built a little mdf jig to hold the aluminium angle so I could mill the slots in the top with a router, then marked out all the holes, drilled them on my bench drill and tapped them for 8mm. I then spent some quality time with my pipe cutter and cut the 10mm aluminium tube spacers. They came out really nice and the bearings sit dead on their centre when place on the pipe rail.
    I will send the spacers and angle out to be powdercoated to give them a nice finish.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-bearing-runner-2-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-bearing-runner-3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Nice slides Gully. They look good already, will look fantastic powder-coated.

I noticed in one of your earlier photos that you had (what looks like) an RC aircraft hanging in the background. Just out of curiosity, are you intending to CNC some RC aircraft parts with this machine?

My question stems from my own thoughts about "what am I going to actually make with my machine"? Thus far, for me, building the machine is more about the project than the end result. I guess once I start getting a grip on CAD stuff (nil experience to date......) the possibilities will be endless.?.

I think there's some threads here on cnczone dedicated to people's projects, I must check them out! Sorry for spilling my thoughts into your thread Gully! On with the build..........

-Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Craig,
    Yes, I like to dabble with RC planes and helis, not a member of a club as yet, I just like to muck around with them when it suits me. I more enjoy the building part with the planes than the flying/crashing part.
    Building my small Joe's is also really about the project and the learing curve involved to see if I can get it all to work properly mechanically and electronically to an acceptable level of accuracy.
    If that all comes together, the bonus is I can use it for work on small cut out/routing or engraving jobs that I currently need to send out.
    (I must have forgot to mention to my wife the part about it being able to cut model parts)

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Well the week end turned out to be productive for my Joe's build.
    I Couldn't put off getting the hand router out any longer as I needed to sort out the grooves for the bearing runners and the adjustment box on the Y axis.
    Short version is that I spent all day Sunday measuring, marking, adjusting, remarking and did I mention re measuring and re adjusting just to cut 8 grooves into MDF. (but they are very good looking grooves!).
    It must have paid off as both sets of runners are spot on to measurement wise to each other, which should hopefully translate into a square running gantry.
    Did a quick re assemble to confirm that all was good and took a couple of pics for posting.

Was thinking of running the machine with 269 Oz-in Nema 23 steppers. If anyone would like to chip in their 2 cents worth on size suitability I would be greatful.

Will try and get the rest of the gantry painted this week if it gets warm enough.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-covers-runner-ends-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-lead-screw-rear-view-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-runners-front-view-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there. Thanks for your message Gully. I have been using a friend's CNC router to make / cut and engrave small items for my small business (I design and make ink refilling machines). But his factory partially burnt down last week so we're both stuck. The need to get my own machine has suddenly become quite apparent.

A question:

Did you consider rack and pinion for your 2006? Would you recommend it or know if it's worth having on such a small machine?

Cheers fellow Melbournian.

Mal

Last edited by malcy; 07-22-2010 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Files now irrelevant

Downloads
    Uploads

Mal PM sent.
    Picked up the cut aluminium parts for my Z axis today and couldnt resist just puting them quickly together (did I say quickly!! AHHH... Spent hours drilling and tapping the channel to take the other parts.) still it's a break from eating MDF dust.
    Very happy with how it's gone together very stiff and lighter than I thought it would be. Just need to get some button head cap screws of the right length to complete the basic frame.
    If the weather fines up I will also finish painting the Y axis this week

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-z-axis-1-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-z-axis-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gully,

My first machine was along these lines and I was using 235 steppers and a movable gantry, not Joe's design but with a gas pipe supporting the gantry and bearing arrangement like that. The gantry proved too heavy, and quickly wore out the gantry support bearings. I then changed it to a fixed gantry and have used it for a few years with those size steppers.

I'm traveling and don't have access to pictures but I'll send some in a couple of weeks.

Hager

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small Joes

Hello Gully
    I am still at the dreaming stage and gathering some parts. I started with the idea of a Joes but sort of moved the idea af aluminium tube frame 50mmx50mm with skate bearings running on 100mmx6mm steel for tracks bolted to the ali.
    Still dreaming and would like to hear how your build finishes up. Maybe will get the chance to see it at one of the BBQ's.
    Thanks for your build post as I have found it very interesting.
    Regards
    domar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Skate wheels

Domar,
    I know the person who makes these here in Melbourne. Not sure if it's the same lines as what you're looking at.
    http://www.digidolly.com.au/about.html

He runs a CNC workshop in Knoxfield.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got a bit more done after work today.
    Have finished painting the Y axis. and got back to working on the Z
    I rough cut to length and fitted the 16mm shafting and have the linear bearings running smoothly top to bottom on them with the router plate fitted. Very pleased now that I built it in aluminium.

Plan to spend the week end working on it so I should be able to get the Y re assembled, sort out and fit the bearing runners in the z and maybe have it test fitted and sliding on the Y

Gully

Downloads
    Uploads

Today was a double milestone day.
    1st: I completed and final assembled my Y axis,
    2nd: I have my z axis mostly sorted and have temp fitted it to the Y. It slides effortlessly from side to side. no tight or loose spots at all.

Sunday will be a day of fiddling a bit more with the Z and sorting out the cad drawings for my bearing blocks. (waiting on delivery of some HDPE to make them from). Will also look at making the drive attachement fitting from lead screw to Z axis.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-trail-fit-z-runners-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-trial-fit-z-runners-2-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-y-axis-assembled-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a slower day today but still got stuff done.
    I was thinking last night that I would really like to have some forward and back adjustment on the Z axis carrage so that it would be easy to adjust it square with the table if needed in the final set up stage. To do this I trimmed 3mm off each side of my top bearing runner plate and glued some aluminium chanel extrusion onto the edge to give it strength. I then drilled and tapped the front and rear joining plates in line where the bearing runner sits when tensioned and put 2 socket head screws in each side.
    By letting one side off and doing the other side up I can now move the top of the gantry either forward or backwards about 5 degrees. Once settled on the right location (90deg to the table) you just lock nut it all in place and there is no movement of the working parts.
    Well thats the theory of how it works, time will tell how robust it turns out to be.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-top-runner-adjustment-jpg   Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-top-runner-adjustment-side-view-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up You're a bloody inspiration mate......

Nice lateral thinking Gully, ingenious adjustment idea on the carriage. I'm rushing out to the shed as we speak to have a look at mine..........

The hamertone grey paint has come up a real treat too. What's your method? Just straight out of a spray can?

And finally, a professional looking decal (or sticker) as well. Mate, you're an inspiration!

How's the deliberations on electronics coming along? Gecko?

-Craig.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the kind words Craig,
    Im really happy with the way it is turning out.
    Im a signwriter by trade so getting it to look pretty sort of comes naturally.

Secrets to getting a great finish on MDF. Spray paint it or use a good quality roller with the following methods to suit.

1: skim the cut edges with a filler. I just use a pollyfiller skim coat type material and when dry sand it back well with a block (this is important as it fills out the little dips that router cutting leaves)

2: Seal the edges properly. There are a couple of ways to do this, I spray mine with a MDF clear high build sealer Its a commercial product used in furniture making to fill out grains, seal edges etc. The other option is to use a hi build easy sand acrylic undercoat and brush or roll it onto the edge then sand smooth.

3: One coat of sealer is not enough refer back to step 2 and repeat until sealed

4: Now prep everything and undercoat entire piece using above methods and /or materials and sand properly when dry.

5: Apply top coats

6: stand back , drink beer and admire your professional looking paint finish

Downloads
    Uploads

Best paint job on MDF that I've seen here.

I use 250oz motors and a Xylotex on a similar, but bigger machine and get up to 190ipm. Using 1/2-8 2 start acme.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a bit more inspiration for you Craig.
    Couldn't help myself today, should be doing some work, but just had to put parts A & B together to have a look ( no self control what so ever!)
    Runs beautifully up and down the X axis and measures the same height off the table on both sides, I am a happy man today
    I should also have my bearing blocks back next week so will be able to start the drive train then.

Gully

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scaled down Joe's 2006 R2-first-fit-x-y-axis-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

No big progress this week end but I have managed to tidy up a few smaller tasks and I got the end panels glued together and painted in preperation for their final fitting to the torsion box.
    Bit the bullet and went with 269 Oz-in Nema 23 steppers, 3 geko G251 controllers, BOB and a 46V power supply. They should arrive early next week.
    In preparation I spent Sat morning converting an old Dell PC power supply for it's final use in life. It now sports a 12v and 5v take off. This will become the power source for the BOB and controllers(5v tap) and I will use the 12v tap to power the cooling fans when I fit out the electronics enclosure.

Gully

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast