Do we have control over the G-Code created ?

Thread: Do we have control over the G-Code created ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Do we have control over the G-Code created ?

I was looking at the G-Code generated and I was wandering if we have some control over it ... like making it more readable by humans with spacing, letting the ON/OFF of the spindle be there or not (not just starting it as I found in my first trial lol) (newbie here).

Just wandering if there is an interface somewhere to view the G-Code as text in Aspire ... did I mis something ?

If not, do you know of any editor that highlights what it recognises as G-Code ?

Nice work by the way !

Mike.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Gcode is an ascii text format that is viewable and editable in most plain text editors like MS Notepad. It can be viewed in CAM programs like Mach3, but Aspire generates the gcode files using specific post processors for certain machines.

Depending on the software the gcode is generated by it may or may not have line numbers. That depends on the post processor that is used to write the code for a specific machine. Many people hand code their gcode files for fairly simple projects but a million plus lines of code is not unusual for Aspire projects involving 3D models.

In Mach3, Machine codes (M codes) - M3 is spindle on clockwise, M4 is spindle on counterclockwise, M5 is stop spindle rotation. There are online tutorials on writing gcode and there are many books on the subject.

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Gcode is just a text file and can be simply opened by clicking on it, and edited manually sith simple text editors.

Do s search on text editing and you can find out how to do search and replaces very easily or any number of edits.

Good luck you are entering a life long hobby.

Mr Chips

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the rely

I knew that it was text ... I opened it !

Millions of G-Code line ... ok ... but it just suprised me that the G-Code was turning on the spindle but never turned it off ! (M5 was missing)

Do we have acces to the posprocessor ? I was a software architect and developer for more than 20 years, I'm curious if we can modifyt the output a tad like inserting spaces here and there ... it would be a "nice to have" options for the postprocessor.

Downloads
    Uploads

The post processor files are in one of the Aspire sub folders and can be edited if you know what to change and why. Make a backup copy before changing a file though.

When you generate gcode from Aspire you need to choose the correct post processor from the pull down list in the tool path menu for your machine's configuration. It is remembered for new jobs until you pick another one.

I believe that adding spaces is ok but it adds a little to the file size. I don't remember if the unnecessary spaces are automatically parsed or not. The Vectric Ltd user forums has a post processor forum that may be worth your time to read through. Last forum in the list. Vectric Forum ? Index page

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloads
    Uploads

There's also a manual that explains how to edit the post processor to produce g-code virtually any way you want it.

But no, there's no way to view it in Aspire.

A good text editor, like Notepad ++ can be configure to display g-code any way you want.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    A good text editor, like Notepad ++ can be configure to display g-code any way you want.
    Got Notepad ++ and the G-Code language definition for it Thanks !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    The post processor files are in one of the Aspire sub folders and can be edited if you know what to change and why. Make a backup copy before changing a file though. [/url]
    Thanks ! Found them and added the missing M05 command and a small comment to place my name in all files created by the post processor modified