Need Help! 5 axis with GRBL?

Thread: 5 axis with GRBL?

Question 5 axis with GRBL?

Hello! I am Anthony Crupi, a student working on building a prototype 5 axis tilt-spindle CNC mill. I have several years of experience with Arduino, general electronics, and CNC machining. I decided to take a challenge and build a 5 axis mill for my school's makerspace.

Does anyone know how to run an Arduino based CNC mill (Azteeg X3 Pro) with 5 axes off of GRBL or Marlin? I have all of the parts, just not the programming. I don't really know how to best manipulate pre-made ArduCNC OS softwares.

Could anyone help me program it? I would appreciate any help I can get!

If you need more info, I have it all. I don't want to bombard you with useless specs for no reason.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 5 axis with GRBL?

I've heard that 4-axis port of grbl exist but it's unlikeable that it be included in main branch, full support for continuous 5-axis is highly unlikeable because there no free CAM that could do it. All efforts for now are headed towards porting grbl to arm-chips. You could check this thread by the way https://github.com/grbl/grbl/issues/1197

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 5 axis with GRBL?

Grbl 6axis for mega https://github.com/electrokean/grbl/tree/6-AXIS

It's old and probably unsupported now.

For fully supported 6axis firmware, you need either tinyg or smoothieware. Both require different controller board than the Azteeg

Standard grbl on a atmega328 only supports 3 axis due to memory limitations.

Port of grbl-lpc to the ARM currently supports only 4 axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

really take a look at linuxcnc.. You can use a couple printer ports if you are wanting to go cheap. Linuxcnc has full 9 axis support with tool length offsets. (plus it does kins)

sam

Ok, thank you!

I will do some more research, now that I know what to look for. Can Linux CNC be used with my Azteeg X3 Pro? I already bought it, thinking I could use GRBL. *whoops*

I appreciate all of your help! If anyone knows anything else, extra info wouldn't hurt.

Have a good day!