Help with mini CNC Plotter using old DVD Drives

Thread: Help with mini CNC Plotter using old DVD Drives

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with mini CNC Plotter using old DVD Drives

Hi;

I have built mini CNC plotter using some old DVD drives the inspiration for which came from this video:

The build uses an Arduino Nano and two L293D motor driver IC's (Not boards).

The video included links to a couple of gcode images and an Arduino Sketch which appears to listen for serial data (the gcode file) and activate the stepper motors and servo to perform the drawing of the image.
    The promise of a second video on how to use it never materialised however the creator Tapendra Mandal, has uploaded a simplified model but now appears to be using a motor driver board.

What I need help with is how to get my existing (the original machine) working. I have done loads of research about using GBRL and UnversalGcode Sender etc but just as I get one thing working I hit another problem. I seem to be getting confused with what software I need on the Arduino to listen to data (the image file) being sent from a PC / Mac and then manipulating the stepper motors and pen connected to a servo (up and down).

Last night when studying this I uploaded some code to the Arduino just to get the stepper motors turning to check the wiring. They still did not turn but I could hear a faint whining from one of the motors in time with the code (simply spinning clockwise, delay and the counter clockwise) Something is working but not correctly.

The power is provided from a 12v 1500mA DC power supply which is plugged into an MB102 Breadboard Power Supply Module with the following specs:
    Input voltage: 5-12V DC
    Output voltage: 3.3V and 5V DV
    Maximum output current: <700 ma

I am using the 5v output.

So can anyone help me get my DIY CNC machine working and printing images?
    I am using a MacBook Pro but also need to be able to do this on a PC.

Here is my circuit in Fritzing (amended from my original).

Fritzing circuit

And here is the schematic linked from the first YouTube video:

Circuit diagram

Additional information:

Here is a thread I started regarding the electronics here regarding connecting everything up.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with mini CNC Plotter using old DVD Drives

Just noticed a couple of errors on the Fritzing Pic the two red wires in the middle at the bottom don't connect to the positive rail, they do on my breadboard :-)

Anyway I have done some more tests and can hear both motors trying to engage. I checked the voltage output to both coils on both motors and I am only getting 2.4v. My gut feeling (and I am far from an electronics expert) is that although the circuit is being supplied 5v due to voltage drops in the circuit the stepper motors are not being provided sufficient voltage to operate.
    According to the data sheet I think the minimum voltage for the L293D is 4.5v so this would be the problem.

Oh well now to look for a 12v supply?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mmm spent most of yesterday evening and this morning taking this apart looking at various guides / schematics and consulted the data sheet after on particular rebuild and a re-write of one of the test programs I managed somehow to get one of the steppers working. The second took a little longer but turned out to be a dodgy breadboard connection!!

For anyone that ever reads this thread I'll post up a video of it working and more importantly i'll post up the working schematic and code.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just tried uploading GBRL to the arduino and using Universal Gcode Sender to send a Gcode Image. Its starts to transmit the file OK but then errors:

error: Expected command letter

The motors never move - I'll start another thread ref UGS and GBRL

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you jog your machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Johnny, I hope your still here. I'm also building a plotter using Arduino controlling CD-Rom steppers.
    I have looked at several instructables, and youtube videos, and have done hours of research and note taking, trying to get mine to work. My build is a bit different, as I am using 3 CD-Rom steppers, one for each axis.
    I am using an Arduino Uno, with the CNC shield, grbl controller v3.6.1, and grbl v1.1.
    I started with just the Arduino and shield, and found, and modified a sketch that runs all 3 axis back and forth, just to test the mechanics. I made a short video of it running.
    I am willing to share the video and the sketch, if you are interested.
    Even though Arduino controlled 3d printers are becoming very popular, and cheaper to buy, there does not seem to be a clear, concise place to find information on them.
    Each internet resource I've found leaves out critical info.
    All my work with Arduino CNC is in support of building a table top router/engraver for small projects. The CD-Rom stepper machine is a training aid!

Chuck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chucketn View Post
    Johnny, I hope your still here. I'm also building a plotter using Arduino controlling CD-Rom steppers.
    I have looked at several instructables, and youtube videos, and have done hours of research and note taking, trying to get mine to work. My build is a bit different, as I am using 3 CD-Rom steppers, one for each axis.
    I am using an Arduino Uno, with the CNC shield, grbl controller v3.6.1, and grbl v1.1.
    I started with just the Arduino and shield, and found, and modified a sketch that runs all 3 axis back and forth, just to test the mechanics. I made a short video of it running.
    I am willing to share the video and the sketch, if you are interested.
    Even though Arduino controlled 3d printers are becoming very popular, and cheaper to buy, there does not seem to be a clear, concise place to find information on them.
    Each internet resource I've found leaves out critical info.
    All my work with Arduino CNC is in support of building a table top router/engraver for small projects. The CD-Rom stepper machine is a training aid!

Chuck
    Chuck;

Many thanks for the response.
    After more research I managed to get my prototype working. I have found that GBRL needs a different Pinout on the Arduino compared to the setup that I was following. In the end rather than change my setup I found some information on using GCTRL and an app called Processing - although I don't have a pen holder yet I managed to print "Hello"!!