Newbie Brain is frying, first cnc but cant figure out adruino

Thread: Brain is frying, first cnc but cant figure out adruino

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brain is frying, first cnc but cant figure out adruino

To start off with, I have zero experience with any programing, g-codes, or experience with adruino uno. This post is only the second thread I have ever made in my life. I started my cnc build off an intructables (3D Printed CNC Mill) but am now having problems with "grbl" and "grbl controller" and "UGS" and GUI", blah, blah , blah to me. MY BRAIN IS FRIED because I cant follow all the acronymes. If you have looked at the instrucables page, it is a 3 axis cnc router. My dimensions are slightly different becasue I had already added a 4th, rotary axis, my goal and reason for starting this project was to make tap handles for beer. Im very familiar with sketchup since I have recently gotten into 3d printing and can model almost everything with sketchup I need. I have an adruino uno r3 ATmega328 16mhz crystal and 4 sainsmart TB6560 stepper controllers. my problem that is making want to set my machine on fire is, what do I need to do to the adruino (program and wiring setup to pins) and what, preferably free, g code interpreter program I need on the ccomputer to make computer and adriuno talk to each other. I plan on experimenting with deskproto for the 4th axis g-code requirements but I know I have probably bit off more than I can chew. anyone with patiences for a mental case like me, I would really appreciate any help

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Brain is frying, first cnc but cant figure out adruino

GRBL is the gcode interpreter and is free.

Compiling and burning GRBL on your Arduino would be a good start.

Once it is done you need a GUI (Graphical User Interface)

For GRBL there's a couple of good ones:

- bCnc: https://github.com/vlachoudis/bCNC/wiki
    - USG: UGS
    - Ciliipeppr: ChiliPeppr - Hardware Fiddle

Only problem is that I don't think GRBL support rotary axis without source code modification.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

GRBL doesnt do 4th axis yet.

Uninversal GCode sender is the best GUI to use.

Check the GRBL github for properly installing grbl to your arduino

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use grbl v1.1 and grbl controller v3.6.1. I tried universal gcode sender, but didn't like it. I will check out bCNC and Chilipepper. Thanks for the links.

Chuck

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a 4th axis fork of Grbl available that can run on an Arduino Mega 2560. It won't run on an Uno though. It is a work in progress and may have some issues though. Here is a link to the github for it.

https://github.com/dguerizec/grbl-Mega-4axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Your Chilipepper link has been hijacked to another website selling furniture

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wyzarddoc View Post
    I just tried the link on 3 different computers in my house and on all 3 the link works fine and takes me to the Chilipepper app for controlling a CNC machine. No furniture in sight. I'm thinking maybe your link in your computer has been hijacked.

Downloads
    Uploads

The link works fine for me. Perhaps it is your computer which is infected with something which likes furniture... wood worms...?

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL link has been fixed. Thanks Biggs427. Running Linux Mint so hijack is not so easy. If you want to see the furniture link click on the copy of my post by A_Camera
    Update seems that my firefox browser is doing a key word search and replacing some key words with weblinks. Like spell check

Last edited by wyzarddoc; 05-22-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ryand88
    1. Have you check your mechanical alignment on the z axis to be sure it's able to move with little effort. Should be able to move with 2 fingers twisting the drive screw.
    2. Steppers like any electric motor draws maximum current at startup so if your software is trying to move the axis to fast it will heat up
    3. Do you have heat sinks on the driver chips?? they heat up fast. Also stepper motor windings decrease resistance when they heat up thus drawing more current.
    4. If your gear ratio of the lead screw driving the z axis is too high it will draw more current.

I won't use an Arduino for a CNC router or mill they are just too slow to be usable. They work fine for 3D printers because they need to go slow to deposit plastic. The minimum processor I would use for a CNC router is either a Raspberry Pi or Beaglebone Black. They do a nice job and can be wired/programmed to communicate and drive the steppers at reasonable speeds using the same drivers as you have for the Arduino.

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL link has been fixed. Thanks Biggs427. Running Linux Mint so hijack is not so easy. If you want to see the furniture link click on the copy of my post by A_Camera
    I am using Firefox and see no link to any furniture in my post above. Must be your computer which is infected...

Downloads
    Uploads

Even your post #10 is infected with links...

Downloads
    Uploads

Update seems that my firefox browser is doing a key word search and replacing some key words with weblinks. Like spell check
    Not sure what you mean that the "link has been fixed". Biggs427's post hasn't been edited, so if the link is performing different it has to be something about your computer. Not sure if that is what you meant in the 2nd part of your post or not.