Simple Z axis with arduino

Thread: Simple Z axis with arduino

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Simple Z axis with arduino

I have a very simple project, simple needs anyway... I need to move the galvo head on my fiber laser very precisely and repeatably. What I want to do is use an Arduino UNO and something like a KL23H276-28-4B to move the galvo. I'll use a hall-effect switch for home and limit. I'd like to have it move to home and trigger the switch then be able to enter a number that tells it how far to move. The movement doesn't need to be any specific measurement, inches or millimeters, it just needs to be accurate and repeatable. It doesn't need to be exceptionally fast either, usually it's just within about 4"-6" or so.

There is lots of code for moving steppers so the software side isn't too terribly difficult, what I'm having trouble figuring out is what hardware to use. There are h-bridges and a gazillion other pieces of hardware, shields, etc., but it seems like most of it is for smaller motors, 1-2 amp at the most. This particular motor is 2.8A and I have used them on a cnc router and think it will work quite well for this purpose. So, any suggestions on the driver? Can I just use any driver or does it have to be Arduino specific? Kind of at a loss here.

Thanks for any help!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Simple Z axis with arduino

Any driver with STEP and DIRection inputs will work fine with the Arduino. Life will be easier if all the signalling works at 5 volts. One of those LCD/button shields is easy to use for the user interface. There are stepper libraries that make generating the output pulses easy, provided you don't need too much speed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply. Being so new to Arduino I wasn't aware that it was so easy! Speed isn't an issue with such a short distance to move. Now all I have to do is find a decent driver with 5v inputs and I'll be set!

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recomend you get some TB6600's

Luthier/Woodworker/Machinist in NS, Canada.