PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a milling machine or plans

Tompie
04-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi there,

I'm totaly new in this forum, so sorry for the stupid question, but which one is a good CNC milling machine, for a good price.
Or where can I buy some plans to create one on my own?

Thanks
Tom

balsaman
04-29-2003, 06:36 PM
www.crankorgan.com

Eric

cncadmin
04-29-2003, 07:07 PM
http://www.rcmodels.net/cnc/

WOODKNACK
04-29-2003, 08:23 PM
The Zoltar machine looks awesome! Too bad he was'nt here in the states. The lead screws are metric, I dont know if that would mess anything up. Say you wanted to do stuff in inches!?

I looked at cheap cnc. Looks like they have just oil lite bushings!? Seems kind of expensive for MDF and oillite bushings! If the are roller bushings then it might be worth it. Seem like the cheap cnc machine should be around $300 without the motors controller. Just seems alittle steap. Hopefully The guy that is getting one will do a review on it and let us know if it was worth the money.,.

cncadmin
04-29-2003, 10:04 PM
I was told that most machines in the US are using metric, because they are more accurate.

balsaman
04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
What's more accurate about them? It's just a different way of measuring.

Eric

cncadmin
04-29-2003, 10:24 PM
I don't know but I was told that from a CAD/CAM designer, that it's the best way to go.

HomeCNC
04-30-2003, 12:45 AM
Tompie.

Are you looking for a CNC router or a CNC mill? I sell plans to convert a three axis Asian drill/mill to full CNC. The finished product will cost you around $2500-$3000. But you will have a machine capable of machining steel, Alum, Brass, Wood, Plastic etc.

paulried
04-30-2003, 12:51 AM
I have a Grizzly G-3103. Does your kit work on this kind of mill? I would love to convert it to CNC.

Link below will take you to the specs on the machine

Grizzly Mill picture (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G3103)

Mine is not fitted with the power feeds.

Tompie
04-30-2003, 02:53 AM
Hi Thanks for the reactions, I'm looking for the router.

I'm from Belgium and I love the Metric measurement system inches are a little bid difficult for us here in Europe. ;o)

I'm gonna look for the Zoltar machine...the cuts on the video's look very nice.

I want to use the machine for balsa and multiplex (model airplanes) maybe for the design of a ****pit.
So I have to go in 3 dimensions.

Greetings
Tom

E-Stop
04-30-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by CNCadmin
I was told that most machines in the US are using metric, because they are more accurate.

It's true that most Machine Tool builders use metric ballscrews instead of inch. The software takes care of the conversion.

Originally posted by balsaman
What's more accurate about them? It's just a different way of measuring.

You are right in your thinking. There is no real accuracy difference in the screw itself. However, programming in Metric can give you a little bit better positional accuracy. Not because of the ballscrew itself but because of the way the encoder reads the pulses. Metric pulses are smaller than inch pulses. The more pulses, the finer the resolution, the better the accuracy. But now we're talking about millionths.

HomeCNC
04-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Paulried,

You have the exact mill from Grizzly that I want to get next to convert!!! My plans are for the drill/mill style of mill. I can't say yes or no on the X and Y axis but I do know that my Z axis design will not work with this mill.

paulried
04-30-2003, 12:23 PM
:) :) :)

Well then, get on the conversion! The mill is great. I am in no great hurry, so I will wait for you to make the conversion. Consider me your first future customer. If you thought your old mill was heavy, wait until you unload this beast..and the top doesnt come off of it!

HomeCNC
04-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Right now my CNC router is sucking all my money up! I hope after I'm finished I can make a little money with it.