PDA

View Full Version : Structural Debate: The Best Linear Motion Method

CNC Brute
11-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm new here, and have been reading like crazy especially balsaman's 2nd router thread. I have come up with the following (for lack of better terms) Linear Motion Methods Drawings. I am curious as to what all of you believe is the best method to support the gantry and use as motion along the support rails.

I haven't drawn all the methods I've seen because I think these are the main ones and any others are off shoots. If anyone can think of a different method that isn't a variation let me know.

Thanks,

CNC Brute
aka Matt

motomitch1
11-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Linear sides would be the best, but thay cost the most.

ger21
11-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Yeah, if you can affors it something like thk's would be your best bet, followed by the round linear bearings and shafts in the bottom left of your drawing.

Gerry

balsaman
11-22-2003, 12:10 PM
I like the two bottom options best. Next is the angle iron/v-blocks, the angleiron/camfollower would work with another bearing to take care of the other face of the angle. I personally don't like the 80/20 - plastic bearing/slide option, but I haven't tried it so don't know how it would be. IMHO too much friction, especially when side forces are present.

Eric