PDA

View Full Version : Haas Gr 510

Klox
11-18-2003, 02:25 AM
I saw an advertisement in the Machine Tool Market of Southern Africa of the Haas Gr 510....
It looks like a very capable CNC router, it also looks VERY expensive......

Klox

Dan B
11-18-2003, 07:51 AM
We bought one back in January. We had it custom built with an additional 6" of Z height. We use it for drilling, reaming, tapping etc.

It has been a great investment, and a very reliable machine.

I believe that we paid $80,000 US. Although it seems expensive, it has paid for itself already. Our process of scribing and drilling fixture bases used to take between 5 to 7 hours doing it manually. We now do it in 1 hour. We have processed abround 1000 bases since January on the Haas. At a 6 hour savings per base, and a shop rate of $50/hour, you can do the math and see that it has paid for itself almost 4 times.

Any specific questions?

Dan

Klox
11-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Thanx for the info, I'm the type of guy that would prefer to drive a banger & use my excess funds to buy tools!

You know the saying: "The difference between men & boys are the price of their toys"

What size holes can you drill with the Gr 510?. The scribing: Please tell me more about how you go around doing it (Please remember I'm an EDM idiot! LOL).

Klox

Dan B
11-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi Klox,

We typically drill holes up to 3/4" in alum. or steel. We tap up to 3/8 in steel, but find that the HP isn't there for tapping over that size. The Haas will do it, but it's working way too hard.

As for scribing, it's probably more fitting in this forum to call it engraving. I create my engraving paths in Rhino, then process them with Worknc. We usually make 2 passes in alum, and 4 in steel to get the desired depth.

All holes are processed directly from Rhino, using a program I wrote in VB. Interestingly, we are also doing 5-axis drilling and simultaneous 5-axis cutting directly out of Rhino too, without the use of any CAM programs. Admittedly, the simultaneous cutting is limited, but we can do it (usually an engraving path over a contoured surface)

Dan