PDA

View Full Version : 300 oz/in too much?

jleiwig
11-18-2003, 12:57 AM
I found some surplus 300 oz/in slo-syn steppers....would this be too much for a mill that I'm making out of aluminum and plan on milling aluminum with?

I need to jump on this deal fast if I want them.

HuFlungDung
11-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Hi BigChevMan,

Can you ever have too much power? Looking at your nickname, I would say not :D

Larger motors require larger amplifiers to feed them, that's where the crunch comes.

balsaman
11-18-2003, 01:20 PM
It depends on what driver you plan to use. Can it handle the current?

More oz/in does not always mean faster.

Eric

jleiwig
11-18-2003, 02:36 PM
The closest one I can find on slosyn's website says it has 6.8 amps per winding. Will the gecko drives handle this? That's what I was planning on using?

balsaman
11-18-2003, 04:27 PM
Gecko's would be a great choie for those. I think they are 7 amps max. What are the motors rated volts? You could email geckodrive the specs and see what they say.

Eric

umrk
11-18-2003, 09:54 PM
As a bonus the Gecko's are Bipolar drives (4 wire), so they can also run Unipolar steppers (6 wire). Of course 8 wire motors can be wired either way and driven by either type drive. If their 5 wire (which I seriously doubt) you'd need to rewire and add a 6th wire in order to use the Gecko's.

If they are indeed 6.8A motors, the rated Voltage and impedance would be low, another bonus if you want faster Jog speeds and drive them with 10-25X their rated V. A 24 to 50V power supply would suit them well.

300oz/in should be good, unless you building a very heavy aluminum frame machine. A friend is converting a small mill (cast iron) to CNC using 450oz/in steppers, and that or larger is what most people recommend for his application.

Too much power??? Is that possible? ;)

mike

jleiwig
11-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by umrk
As a bonus the Gecko's are Bipolar drives (4 wire), so they can also run Unipolar steppers (6 wire). Of course 8 wire motors can be wired either way and driven by either type drive. If their 5 wire (which I seriously doubt) you'd need to rewire and add a 6th wire in order to use the Gecko's.

If they are indeed 6.8A motors, the rated Voltage and impedance would be low, another bonus if you want faster Jog speeds and drive them with 10-25X their rated V. A 24 to 50V power supply would suit them well.

300oz/in should be good, unless you building a very heavy aluminum frame machine. A friend is converting a small mill (cast iron) to CNC using 450oz/in steppers, and that or larger is what most people recommend for his application.

Too much power??? Is that possible? ;)

mike

Thanks for the info guys. These didn't have wires..just an end plate that unscrewed. I don't remember if it had 4 or 6 lugs in there though. They are nema 34 frames I believe. I hope I can get them at a good price!

umrk
11-19-2003, 08:05 AM
At 300oz I'm pretty sure that they are NEMA34 double stack motors.

mike