PDA

View Full Version : stuttering stepper motor

rustranch
11-16-2003, 08:39 AM
I guess I donít understand why I see postings of running the stepper motors at a voltage greater that the stated voltage. I had seen comments that you should run it up to five times the amount on the label? Iím trying to get a stepper salvaged from a HP LaserJet II to step and itís not doing what it should. It just stutters. Iíve checked the coils and they are hooked up correctly. Hum maybe if I just increase the power. More power always helps
Oh the last motor I had attached to this homebrew control board stepped. Iím just trying to upgrade on power some.

So little time and so many toys.

balsaman
11-16-2003, 10:01 AM
You need power resistors in series with the windings if you go over the rated name plate voltage.

Go to www.stepperworld.com and look at the tutorials on steppermotors. Good stuff.

Eric

ger21
11-16-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by rustranch
I guess I donít understand why I see postings of running the stepper motors at a voltage greater that the stated voltage. I had seen comments that you should run it up to five times the amount on the label? .

A stepper motor's torque drops very rapidly as rpm's increase. By using a higher voltage (up to even 10x to 20x the rated voltage) this lets the motor deliver more torque at much higher speeds.

Gerry

ViperTX
08-31-2004, 04:47 PM
overdrive and you'll probably get some overstepping....if a closed loop system, you can probably correct for it....if an open loop system and you are counting steps...goodluck.

ger21
08-31-2004, 10:06 PM
What do you mean by overstepping and overdriving? Just about everyone uses a much higher voltage than the motors rated voltage and I don't think anyone is gaining or losing steps because of it. This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing.