PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

Jan
11-10-2003, 11:20 AM
J(ust) A(nother)N(ewbie) here with a couple of questions.
I have lurked for some time, checked out alot of the pics, read many of the forum messages and didn't see any info related to my questions.

1. What is the average amount of time that is required to complete a project. ie:
you've got the cnc machine built, tested and all works fine, now you have a design you want to route, I recall a gear pic, some where here, how long to design and complete.

2. I see that some use a dremel or rotozip tool for light weight use, how are the 1/8 " bits holding up. In my use of the rotozip, bit breakage is fairly common, using by hand,as I don't have a cnc setup YET.

3. One idea I had for drive screws was to use garage door opener screws, they appear to be about 1/2" dia, don't know about thread pitch
Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the great info on the board
jerry

cncadmin
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
It took me about 6 month's working on it off and on.

balsaman
11-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Machine takes a couple months to a couple years, depends on how much you work on it.

A part design takes 5 minutes to 5 days, depends on it's complexity. The gear took about 15 minutes to do the CAM work, and the same time or a little less to cut. The CAD work was mostly done for me, since I downloaded the drawing off the net. I did change the spokes and such tho...

Eric