PDA

View Full Version : CAD model of a knee mill

damae
05-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Before I go through all the effort to model my knee mills, I thought I'd see if anyone can save me a bit of time.

Surely among all the CNCZoners desigining parts to add onto their knee mills, somebody has modeled their Bridgeport or other knee mill!

C'mon, I know you're reading this post! =) Share that CAD model! (it's in the rule book, perhaps somewhere in the fine print when you signed up for CNCZone. "All non-proprietary CAD models must be shared with other 'zoners!" =)

Seriously, though, all I need is a rough model to represent the amount of space it takes up. If there's a model with more detail, even better!

Now's the chance to show off your model!

damae
05-17-2006, 03:58 AM
Ok, to help generate a little pity, here's why I need the CAD models: I already have two bridgeports in my garage and tomorrow I have two more milling machines arriving by truck. I intend to shoehorn all 4 mills into my garage. And to figure out where everything will fit, I need to do a little planning.

I made a rough model (the 10 minute version) of the Kearney and Trecker mill, but still need models for a Bridgeport Series I BOSS and one of a BP tracer mill. But any generic BP will do.

Attachments show my garage (minus all the clutter). Keep in mind I only have one of three mills pictured so far!! The 48" x 96" gorilla rack will be going away sooner or later.

damae
05-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Looking tighter after I got a rough model of the Shizuoka in there. Both the K&T and Shizuoka are 2.5 to 3 Ton.

damae
05-17-2006, 06:30 PM
No bites, eh? I thought for sure someone would have a series I modeled in Solidworks, Pro/E or the like..

damae
05-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Four of 'em in one garage!

Link to my bridgeport thread where I introduce the two new mills:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=163399#post163399

Later, I will start a deicated thread to detail how I retrofit the Shizuoka. More pictures are posted in the above-mentioned thread. Of course, I'm still interested in CAD models of a bridgeport if anyone has one. But my short-term needs are met and I don't need the model so urgently for planning as I did a few days ago. =)

Karl_T
05-20-2006, 09:27 AM
You haven't got room in there. Send that Shizouka to me. VBG

Karl

NC Cams
05-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Several semi-relevant comments:

If my neighbors saw me moving that type of equipment into my garage, they'd have the zoning people out here so fast it would make your head spin....

Speaking of spinning, wait until the power company see's power surges (as in spinning power meter) and starts to investigate why your "residence" uses SO MUCH POWER, especially if your 3 phase converter does funky things to the local power factor....

Did the driveway crack yet???

Did the wife/signifigant other go ballistic yet about you cluttering up HER garage with YOUR stuff to the point HER car won't fit???

mxtras
05-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Did you get more puppies, too?

Scott

damae
05-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Did you get more puppies, too?

Scott

Well, of course! Hahahaha!! How did you know? We're up to 3 dogs now and I think both my wife and I are nearing borderline OCD with our respective hobbies!

It's sort of like an arms race. For instance, if I go and build a shop building, then she'll have to go and build kennels and start breeding the dogs professionally. Seriously though, I think I'm satisfied to know that "it's possible" to get 4 mills in a garage. Only 3 of them are in usable positions. As I finish each mill, I will start selling them. In the end I hope to take the money and get one nice mill with a good toolchanger and one nice lathe.

If you want to follow my pattern, just start saying to yourself "I didn't want to park in the garage anyway. Who wants to get metal chips in their tires?" Oh, and don't forget to get something for your wife to balance out your obsessive hobby with hers! =)

damae
05-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Several semi-relevant comments:

If my neighbors saw me moving that type of equipment into my garage, they'd have the zoning people out here so fast it would make your head spin....

I've got very kind and understanding neighbors! Of course, it's only been one day since they saw me move in the machine shop. The zoning people could be out here on Monday I suppose!

Speaking of spinning, wait until the power company see's power surges (as in spinning power meter) and starts to investigate why your "residence" uses SO MUCH POWER, especially if your 3 phase converter does funky things to the local power factor....

I don't plan to run them all at the same time, for just that reason. I'd use all 200 amps available to my house just running the machines, not to mention the house! No phase converter yet, planning to go VFD all the way.

Did the wife/signifigant other go ballistic yet about you cluttering up HER garage with YOUR stuff to the point HER car won't fit???

See the previous post with the pictutre of our new brib... er.. uh.. I mean our new puppy!

MAS
04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Looks like you're starting a museum.

wwendorf
04-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Heh! My wife's hobby is quilting. My mom corrupted her. My mom has a whole contractor's trailer dedicated to quilting. My wife took over my basement office for her quilting. Now my office is my laptop and my recliner. I suppose it could be worse. At least I didn't get kicked out to the garage for my office too.

Wade