PDA

View Full Version : Dremel Based Wood Routers

Mhiran
11-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Hello!
Basically, I wish to make a wooden CNC router, however, on all the wood based machines on the net, they all use a dremel or a rotozip tool. Is this because a proper router would cause too much stress on the structure? Because it is too heavy, or just because nobody has done it?
Thanks
Mhiran

bunalmis
11-04-2003, 06:47 AM
This small type hand machines not good for a long time using.
You must find high power machine.

This is my idea.

I take chines marque drill machine (130W) and motor burned after 2 hour.

(Yes Dremel better than Chines machine.)

kong
11-04-2003, 07:04 AM
On my first router (all MDF construction), I used a B&Q router. 1250w, still going strong. Nice machine for about 70. Dremels are fine for very light use, but like bunalmis said, they will not last if you are running some long codes. The other option is to find a pro-duty die grinder if you want a small spindle, but these may cost more than a router! My first cnc used 116 oz/in motors and handled the router just fine.

jimbo
11-04-2003, 08:17 AM
I think alot of wood construction machines are not stiff enough to use a full size router or they prefer to do light duty things like engraving with 1/8" bits. But they can certainly be used if you account for this in your design.

Trim routers used for trimming laminates are a good compromise in weight,size,and power. they have a 1/4" collet.

jim.

Mhiran
11-04-2003, 08:43 AM
I got a router for free. And i was just wondering if i could substitute it for a dremel in my deisgn!

tpworks
11-08-2003, 11:39 PM
I use a dewalt laminate trimmer and it's holding up fine for over a year now. mostly made of mdf.this is my second attemp, you can see my first in the background. I am presently working on an all metal one with thomson 1 1/2" rods and bearings from Ebay.:)