PDA

View Full Version : New router help

mikie
10-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Okay Guys,

I've put this off long enough.

I bought some steppers and linear rails and screws a few months ago. I now need to get this project moving ahead and have a couple of questions to ask.

I want to build a gantry style machine, it will be ou of MDF. I only want to cut balsa and some light ply.

The steppers are Vexta types (nema 23) but unknown output as i can't get any specs from the manufacturers for the part numbers supplied?? go figure.

Any how, what way should i drive the steppers. Should i just go straight from the parallel port or should i invest in some gecko or other encoders??? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

My other question is, should i belt drive the units to the lead screws? or does it cause unnecessary slop? I figured it would save the motors if it jammed? yes/no.

Cheers
Michael

HomeCNC
10-20-2003, 02:47 AM
You can't connect any motor (servo or stepper) to the parallel port. You will need to the a driver board for the stepper motors. You can go with the Gecko G201's or other stepper driver boards around. I would stay away from the Unipolar boards and get a bipolar chopper driver (more power).

In order to tell about the drive system you will need to know more about your Vexta steppers. Tell us how long they are? I have some Vexta steppers as well.

mikie
10-20-2003, 04:31 AM
Hi Jeff,

They are

2X
ph266-01b-q7
6V/2Phase/1.2 Amps
6 wire
case = 558mm X 570mm diameter

the other is a
a2153-9142
2 phase/(3.5A/phase)/1.5V
6 wire
70mm X 860mm diameter

Any thoughts

michael

Mr.Ed
10-20-2003, 06:48 AM
I bought a kit at NC-Step.de

It was fairly cheap, and good quality PCB's.
I 'm not trying to advertise in any way, for all i know it could go up in smoke. I have not tested it, not just yet. :D

The driver board will deliver 2Amps up to 44Volt supply voltage. Should be sufficient in your case. :cool:

This is just one example in the big pond. There are others. For me it was quite obvious as Germany is about the closest i could get.

Good luck !

Ed.

Mr.Ed
10-20-2003, 06:51 AM
I didn't notice you have one that runs on 3,5 Amps.

Oops...:(

As stated before, 2Amps max from the NC-Step board.

Other stepper or other board. :rolleyes:

Ed.

HomeCNC
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
The 2 amp max is common with the smaller controllers. He can still run the motor at the 2 amp max but since his other motor is 1.2 amp he will need to set the board for that size.

MIKIE! You must have something wrong with your MM sizes! 570MM diameter is 22.4 inch

mikie
10-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Hi HomeCNC,

yep forgot the decimal point.
Should read 57.0mm

So to conclude I should buy a some encoders.
Should I also look at getting something that has a feed back input, or something like that?

I also say encoder, but really just a driver board would suffice?

Mike

balsaman
10-22-2003, 04:42 PM
With steppers no encoder is required.

Eric