PDA

View Full Version : encoder help

ron davy
09-23-2003, 11:22 AM
I have 2 old servo motors with encoders on the back of them. Come out of old HP printers.
It has six wires coming out of the encoder 2 black 1 green 1 red 1 orange 1 brown .Has any buddy ever wired one up?
Ron Davy

HuFlungDung
09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi Ron,

Any kind of decal on the encoder to identify the make?

I don't know if there is any kind of a standard convention for the colors. Here is my best guess: these are single ended encoders. This means there is no A-not, B-not or Z-not

Red: 5vdc input (sometimes these will stand higher voltage)
Black: common ground, not sure about the second black
Green: case ground
red, orange, brown will be the A and B channel and Index marker.

When you apply voltage to the red and one of the black, then the encoder should become operational. You can check for a signal between black and the second black, orange, brown. By rotating the shaft slowly one full turn, you might be able to detect which wire gives the index pulse, because it will change state once per revolution.

If you can sort that out, then the other two remaining will be A and B channel most likely.

ron davy
09-23-2003, 01:40 PM
The only markings are IMC
HANSEN MFG CO. INC PRNCETON IN. 47670
81546-11k
2139M004

Ron

kong
09-23-2003, 03:19 PM
There is a Hansen motor company (http://www.hansen-motor.com/index.html) that sell motors/encoders. Nothing on their website, but it may pay you to email them as they may have some tech info on older models in the basement!

ron davy
09-24-2003, 08:49 AM
I found out the red and black goes to a led diode
on the top. If that helps any buddy.

Ron

HuFlungDung
09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Doesn't help me, does it help you, Kong? :D

Ron, Ron, Ron, don't tell me you took the cover off!! Now you've done gone and voided the warranty! :D