PDA

View Full Version : Can I Cut THK Rails?

samualt
09-14-2003, 08:39 PM
I see allot of auctions for THK rails. If I buy some that are too long is it OK to take a saw (circular saw with special blade or something) to them? I see some good deals on some of them but an 18" Z axis would just be silly.

Thanks for input.............Sam

balsaman
09-14-2003, 08:43 PM
Yes,

They are hard but can be cut with a angle grinder with a thin abrasive cut-off blade in it. You can also use a cut-off saw made for cutting steel. A hack saw won't touch it.

Eric

Verboten
09-14-2003, 09:11 PM
You can use this as a good excuse to buy some metalworking tools.:) Tool collecting/hoarding :D is another fun and rewarding hobby to get into. Get the chop saw and the grinder they will be handy to have later.

samualt
09-14-2003, 10:19 PM
I'm beginning to understand why people make linear bearings with skates wheels and plumbing pipe! I had no idea that THK rails were so expensive, at least on Ebay. About $590 for two 8 foot rails with four blocks. I probably should have bid on it but the sticker shock paralyzed my right hand which was holding the computer mouse (Just couldn't click!). LOL.

Are there any other places to get this stuff cheaper?

Verboten
09-14-2003, 10:47 PM
You will get the best price buying them locally from someone who does not know what they have (its a long shot). If you have time just keep your eyes open and wait, plan, or dream.

Ebay has exellent prices on most things but some things sell for more than you can find them new (not likely for linear bearings). Wait for a good deal and use their search to find items that have been mislabeled, placed into an incorrect category, misspellings, etc.

Kookaburra
09-15-2003, 06:45 PM
I once had an experience where I went to the local scrap dealer and saw some awesome linear bearings (about $3000 worth)attached to an old pick and place machine. When I asked what he was going to do with the machine he replied by saying "CRUSH IT ha ha ha". I asked him if I could remove those bits of shiney steel from the under carriage and he said "What are they and how much do you think they are worth" I replied by saying "I don't Know, your the scrappy" he replied by offering them to me for $5 each including the little black things that slide on them (so he said) these being the bearings, my reply was "gee wiz thats a bit steep but you have to make money I guess", I agreed. So I guess the moral to the story is, if you find some one who knows nothing about linear bearings like verboten said, play dumb yourself and give him the chance to form a price that he is happy with and that way both parties will think they did well. The scrappy was happy because he only would have recieved scap value on the weight of the bearings if he had have crushed them but instead he got 4 times more by selling them to me, so in his eyes he did well out of me as I made a purchase of $50 cash there and then. Little did he know how happy I was though.