PDA

View Full Version : Help with my new cnc router (picts)

landart
08-29-2003, 04:39 PM
I purchased this small cnc router set-up in the picture below. Can any one help me with the right type of motors and controllers. It has a 12" Y-axis / 12" X-axis and 3.5" Z-axis. I will be using the dremel as seen in the picture. Mostly used for cutting balsa and lite-ply for model planes. However I am in the process of building a much large format cnc machine from the tool camp plans. I ve been amazed at the wealth of knowledge on this forum and I am trying to take it all in little by little. Thanks for the help ..Jim

balsaman
08-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Get a few 100 oz steppers, nema 23, 4-6 volts and a xylotex controller, with a 24 volt powersupply.

Eric

anoel
08-29-2003, 05:25 PM
That'll do it nicely. That'll make out for a nice machine. Those machines have started showing up regularly and seem to sell pretty reasonable. I can only get a peek at the linear bearings on the X axis but it looks like a shop built bearing with 4 standard bearings on each end. I'd be interested to get a close look at those. If they are doing it the way I think then they've come up with the ideal roller bearing design. Looks like it'll make a nice little machine too.... should be very capable.

landart
08-29-2003, 08:42 PM
attached a few more picts - different angles

landart
08-29-2003, 08:44 PM
another view

balsaman
08-29-2003, 08:59 PM
Nice!

Eric

landart
08-29-2003, 09:21 PM
This question is for Balsaman or anyone else that can shine the light on this subject- What part of the system creates the speed is it the controller, the type of software used, how much power or is it just a combination of all of the above???? jim

tsalaf
08-29-2003, 09:24 PM
Jim, it's a combination of all the above.
I've just started testing my small router. The Z axis motor with 191 ox./in. holding torque has no trouble lifting the 40 pound axis, but the X and Y sometimes miss steps if I set the rapids too high ( over 90 ipm) because the 486 puter can't spit out the impulses fast enough.

Ok. I'll take any opportunity for a sales pitch on my leftovers.

For sale: Vexta stepper motors. Part # PK266-02B. These are brand new, current production motors with 127 oz./inch. holding torque.
Spec. sheet is here http://www.orientalmotor.co.jp/cgi-...&frameSize=56.4

Perfect for use with the low cost Xylotex drives.

USD $ 32.25 plus shipping.

I also have some Helical couplings to go with these motors.

Steve

www.tac-pro.com

balsaman
08-29-2003, 10:27 PM
What he said. The biggest single factor for speed is the powersupply. The higher the power supply voltage you use the faster it will go.(up to the limit of the board)

Even tho the motors will be in the 2 to 5 volt range we use 12-24 volt (and more) powersupplies with some sort of current limiting.

Unipolar drives such as the stepperworld ones use resistors in series with the windings, Xylotex is a chopper board so it chops the voltage very rapidly to keep the current in check.

Eric

Heliboy247
08-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Nice looking machine and just the right size for us modelers. Who makes the unit ? :cool: