PDA

View Full Version : Tight grain wood?

ssutton
05-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Needing to V carve some letters for a door plaque. I plan to paint the letters black and then sand the face to "cut" the letters in. In the past I have attempted to do the with red oak, it was a disaster, the paint bled into the grain and traveled away from the letters. Sanding could not remove the excess paint because it was too deep. I can do this all day with cheap MDF but I need some real wood for this project.

Thanks,
Scott

Claude Boudreau
05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Needing to V carve some letters for a door plaque. I plan to paint the letters black and then sand the face to "cut" the letters in. In the past I have attempted to do the with red oak, it was a disaster, the paint bled into the grain and traveled away from the letters. Sanding could not remove the excess paint because it was too deep. I can do this all day with cheap MDF but I need some real wood for this project.

Thanks,
Scott

Why dont you do a coat of whatever you gonna use for finish first then v-carve and paint the letters.

jckstrthmghty
05-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Not exactly sure what you are trying to do but ever try painting the surface with a urethane clear first then apply the black after?

garylyb
05-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Instead of paint, try gilder's wax. It's shouldn't travel far in the pores.

I think you can get it at Michael's or Joann's.

Gary

Thanks,
Scott

RTP_Burnsville
05-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Try hard maple..... A wash coat of de-waxed shellac will prevent bleeding of most finish.

Robert

louieatienza
05-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Thanks,
Scott

You can treat the oak with grain or pore filler, then sand and seal, before v-carving. Also, treating the v-carved letters with shellac or such BEFORE the black can help prevent bleed...

CarveOne
05-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Gel stain does not wick through the pores in the oak like liquid stain does. Pre-finish the surface as others have suggested and you can get sharply defined edges and detailing without using masking.