PDA

View Full Version : Bosch colt mod for clipless touch plate

gateman
04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/ce7cdc2e-ab09-4e4a.jpgThe dust boot gets in the way to clip the ground lead to the shaft when using a touch plate on a Bosch colt because the shaft isn't grounded to the outer frame. I took the motor out and drilled a small hole dead center of where the shaft meets the plastic housing, then put a small portion of skinned wire under the spring washers. The wire is now connected to the frame, eliminating the need for the alligator clip.

PaulRowntree
04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
I think the Colt is double insulated, with no grounding pin. If so, does this mod defeat the safety specs?

gateman
04-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Not sure, the first router I've come across that didn't have continuity from shaft to frame. Regretting I even bought it, maybe 4 hours run time and already have about 10 thou slop in lower bearing.

lazorus
04-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I had the same problem with my bosch colt, it was loose where the bottom bearing is. By loose, I mean that if I pushed the bit back and forth sideways, it would make a clicking noise and move about .005". I pulled the bottom housing off of it, and saw that there is a plastic insert which holds the bearing in place. I took some CA glue and let it wick in between the housing and the insert, let it dry overnight. I put it back together and it works wonderfully now, no discernable runout. I have about 150 hours on it since the repairs, and its running great!:D

flojor10
04-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I had the same problem with my bosch colt, it was loose where the bottom bearing is. By loose, I mean that if I pushed the bit back and forth sideways, it would make a clicking noise and move about .005". I pulled the bottom housing off of it, and saw that there is a plastic insert which holds the bearing in place. I took some CA glue and let it wick in between the housing and the insert, let it dry overnight. I put it back together and it works wonderfully now, no discernable runout. I have about 150 hours on it since the repairs, and its running great!:D

That's same problem I had, then I took it back for a rigid2400. I saved myself $30 and it has a little more horsepower. I really liked how the rigid came with more accesories and a router bit. :)