PDA

View Full Version : It has arrived :)

ullbergm
08-22-2003, 09:36 AM
My new Cheap CNC router arrived yesterday..

The motors should arrive later today, i'll post more pictures once i get it up and running.

Everything looks great so far, sturdy construction, nice looking materials. Looks like it'll run nicely.

cncadmin
08-22-2003, 10:26 PM
Looks great!

marvinstov
08-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Great!
Let me know how you like it. My 12/24 machine should be here in about three days.
Marv.

hardmill
08-22-2003, 10:34 PM
:cool: :cool:

I want one:p

PEACE:D

marvinstov
08-22-2003, 10:37 PM
If he builds it they will come, just send the money!

cbcnc
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Hey that's a nice joiner. :D
Just joking. That is a clean looking machine. What sized motors does Cheap Cnc recommend for that machine?

Chris

50a
08-23-2003, 02:36 AM
Whoa! Let us know! Go, go, go!

What is the first "real" project you're gonna do?:D

ullbergm
08-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Progress report:

I'm using LinuxEMC and it's working great. It was really easy to get it accurate. When i say accurate i just mean that measuring it with a caliper (sp?) looks good and that a circle comes back to where it started. I dont have any better measuing tools right now but it looks pretty good.

I've not used it for a 'real' project yet, but i think the first project is going to be a plexiglas router template. That's a product im going to try to market and sell.

The second thing is to do inlay work on a box for my wife. (if i can figure out how to attach images i'll post a example of what type of pattern im looking at)

Cheap cnc uses the max nc driver+motors. I already had a stepperworld driver and some 180 oz nema 23 motors so i just ordered the machine without the motors. I can't really speak for how the machine would do with the stock motors/controller and my power resistors has not come in yet (i can only run the motors at 5v) so i'll give a new update as far as cutting speeds and stuff once they come in.

over all im really excited, i cant wait to get back to it this morning.. normally i'd sleep in on a saturday, but not today ;-)

ullbergm
08-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by 50a
Whoa! Let us know! Go, go, go!

What is the first "real" project you're gonna do?:D

Here is a picture of the pattern im looking at engraving or inlaying on the top of the box for my wife:

ullbergm
08-23-2003, 11:30 AM
It's really fascinating to watch it run :)

Here is a picture of my first cut:
I did not bother cleaning out the cut.. since im running the motors at half their power right now i didnt want to wait too long..

boxwood
08-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Hi
Looks good, you will have a great time this weekend with the new machine. What software you using to convert the image to gcode.

Ray

ullbergm
08-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by boxwood
Hi
Looks good, you will have a great time this weekend with the new machine. What software you using to convert the image to gcode.

Ray

i'm sure i will :)

i sent it to a friend that has a older version of onecnc, looks like a really nice program. wish i could afford it.

i'm looking around right now for a free/really cheap program.
any suggestions?

kong
08-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Corel draw 8 ships with a program called "ocr-trace" which will allow you to import any picture file and convert to DXF for editing/toolpath programming in your favourite cad program. Then you can use the free ace converter from yeager automation to get to g-code.
You can get ace here (http://www.yeagerautomation.com/ace.htm)

ullbergm
08-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by kong
Corel draw 8 ships with a program called "ocr-trace" which will allow you to import any picture file and convert to DXF for editing/toolpath programming in your favourite cad program. Then you can use the free ace converter from yeager automation to get to g-code.
You can get ace here (http://www.yeagerautomation.com/ace.htm)

Thanks, i'll try that

cadcam
09-20-2003, 11:36 PM
ullbergm, I was thinking about one of these today..
How has it been going?

I think I might have the boss (AKA Wife) to go for a full setup..
If you need an image change from Raster to Vector put it on the FTP so I cna change to a DXF or any other format for you.

thanks

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by cadcam
ullbergm, I was thinking about one of these today..
How has it been going?

It's been going good. I've not has as much time to play with it as i wanted.. way too much to do ay work.. :(

Here are some pictures of things i've done so far:
http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/ullberg/sanded.jpg
Movie of the above part (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/ullberg/running.avi)

http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/michelles%20sewing%20box/needs-to-be-sanded.jpg
Movie (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/michelles%20sewing%20box/running3.avi)

Here is a movie of Linux EMC in action
Movie (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/emc/emc.avi)

I think I might have the boss (AKA Wife) to go for a full setup..
If you need an image change from Raster to Vector put it on the FTP so I cna change to a DXF or any other format for you.

Cool, thanks
What software do you use?

edit: I cant seem to get the pictures to show up.. the links works

ger21
09-21-2003, 10:04 AM
What codec do the video's use. I only get the sound, no video.

Gerry

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ger21
What codec do the video's use. I only get the sound, no video.

To be honest, i dont know.. they are straight off of my FujiFilm FinePix 2800Z.
I'll let you know if i can find out.. they played without any extra codec on xp so i never had to find out..

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by ullbergm
To be honest, i dont know.. they are straight off of my FujiFilm FinePix 2800Z.
I'll let you know if i can find out.. they played without any extra codec on xp so i never had to find out..

I take that back, i did install quicktime.
I've heard that quicktime may be the solution to playing the mpegs. not 100% sure thou

keithorr
09-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Movie worked fine for me. If my player doesn't have the codec, it finds it automatically on the internet, updates, installs and plays.

What software did you use to program the gcode for cutting the letters? What ipm did you choose?

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by keithorr

What software did you use to program the gcode for cutting the letters? What ipm did you choose?

I'm running at 9 ipm which is the fastest i can go right now.

I still dont have a good solution for converting the text to gcode. The same friend that helped me with the celtic knot pattern made the gcode for me.

Do you have any suggestions for a good software in the couple of hundred dollar range?

I'd like OneCNC but i cant find a price other than

From www.onecnc.com
Our CAD-CAM solutions range in price form $1,000.00 USD to $7,000.00 USD so we cater for all users whether you are a home model maker through to a high precision mold maker or toolmaker.

and that puts it outside my budget :(

i haven't tried ocr-trace yet, dont have a copy of corel draw, but i may give that a shot.

keithorr
09-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Is there a limitation on your speed? I would spend money on upgrading the driver or whatever is holding down the speed before buying an expensive cad/cam program.

I use the corel OCR program to scan client line drawings. It is only a start. After cleaning up the scan and converting to dxf, I open in OneCNC, set a new layer on the drawing, and place points at all relevant places and intersections, then make a new CAD drawing as an overlay.
The OCR settings take a while to figure out, the lines can end up jagged. Also, my scanner can alter the scale of the original drawing, so everything needs to be dimensioned before I start or I can be off by up to 0.1 inch. On my system, the scan is saved to a bitmap, the bitmap is opened in Corel OCR, vectored, saved to dxf, then opened in OneCNC. Like translating from english to french to korean.

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by keithorr
Is there a limitation on your speed? I would spend money on upgrading the driver or whatever is holding down the speed before buying an expensive cad/cam program.

I'm debating which one is more important.. i'll know more after i getahold of corel draw.

I'm not using the driver/motors that cheap cnc usually ships with, i already had a stepperworld controller.
i'm looking at making a chopper circuit instead, that way i dont have to use power resistors and loose power there.

I use the corel OCR program to scan client line drawings. It is only a start. After cleaning up the scan and converting to dxf, I open in OneCNC, set a new layer on the drawing, and place points at all relevant places and intersections, then make a new CAD drawing as an overlay.
The OCR settings take a while to figure out, the lines can end up jagged. Also, my scanner can alter the scale of the original drawing, so everything needs to be dimensioned before I start or I can be off by up to 0.1 inch. On my system, the scan is saved to a bitmap, the bitmap is opened in Corel OCR, vectored, saved to dxf, then opened in OneCNC. Like translating from english to french to korean.

sounds like a lot of fun :)

balsaman
09-21-2003, 04:02 PM
i'm looking at making a chopper circuit instead, that way i dont have to use power resistors and loose power there.

A chopper will give you more speed but it needs to be combined with a higher voltage. For example a unipolar controller on 12 volts with resistors will give you roughly the same speed as a chopper on 12 volts. A chopper board is really nice because you can go to the higher voltage without having to buy and try to cool those big resistors.

Eric

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by balsaman
A chopper will give you more speed but it needs to be combined with a higher voltage. For example a unipolar controller on 12 volts with resistors will give you roughly the same speed as a chopper on 12 volts. A chopper board is really nice because you can go to the higher voltage without having to buy and try to cool those big resistors.

Eric

right. i'm running at 12 volts right now and it feels like you could start a fire with the resistors..

i'd like to up the voltage but im affraid i'd have to get some really big resistors and some serious cooling..

at first (before the resistors came in) i ran the motors at 5v. going to 12v was a big improvement, should i expect the same improvement going 24? (or higher)

balsaman
09-21-2003, 05:11 PM
yes,

I went from 12 to 24 and then 30 volts. I was getting around 15" then 30" then 40" per minute. What you can do is put resistors in series. For example if you need 20 ohms at 50 watts, you can put in two 10 ohm at 25 watts in series. Use a large finned heatsink or a piece of 1/2" aluminum and a fan. Aluminum or steel sheatmetal isn't as good.

Those resistors are meant to get hot. It is perfectly normal for them to be uncomfotably hot to touch.

Eric

cadcam
09-21-2003, 07:08 PM
ullbergm, I use Mastercam. I can do raster to vector in side the software includ coining.

then I can send you most cad file types.

So if I am getting this correct the fastest cutting speed is about 10 ipm?

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 07:13 PM
ullbergm, I use Mastercam. I can do raster to vector in side the software includ coining.

then I can send you most cad file types.

So if I am getting this correct the fastest cutting speed is about 10 ipm?

Yes, but that is with my setup.
the one Cheapcnc sells is maxnc which is a bipolar, im using a unipolar.

i did see someone else talking about speeds around 12 IPM
(http://www.cnczone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=832)

cadcam
09-21-2003, 07:25 PM
I guess it is safe to say in the small routor typs like this one I can not see 40 imp and say spend about $3,000?

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 07:31 PM
I guess it is safe to say in the small routor typs like this one I can not see 40 imp and say spend about $3,000?

The Cheap cnc seems very sturdy, im going to upgrade to a 48v chopper and see what kind of speeds i can achieve.

cadcam
09-21-2003, 07:40 PM
The higher cutting speed in at least 40 would be of great help.
thanks for your time.

balsaman
09-21-2003, 07:41 PM
You can get 40 ipm on most home made machines running a xylotex contoller and 24 to 30 volts (from what I have read, as I don't own one).

Geckodrives and a higher voltage (up to 80 volts) would go even faster, but they are a little more money.

Eric

cadcam
09-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Balsaman, what would you say one like this that can do at least 40 or more run about?

thanks jay

balsaman
09-21-2003, 08:20 PM
The xylotex controller is $125.00 for 3 axis. The gecko 210's are $114.00 per axis.

These are controllers only, no machine, no motors. These can be used to run the CheapCNC machines (or a home made machine) though.

Eric

marvinstov
09-21-2003, 08:21 PM
ullbergm,
I have a Cheap CNC machine, CS-12-24P. I tried the motors, driver/power supply and software that came with it and could only get about 10-12 IPM. I sold the motors, driver/power supply and software. I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try. Motors are not here yet. On my home made machine, I can get up to 72 IPM but I don't run it that fast as the X lead screw (5/16 all thread) wants to start whipping with the gantry and one end or the other. It is only supported with a bearing on one end and the motor on the other. I think if it were supported with bearings on both ends it would not do that. Just thought you might want to know that on the Xylotex board.

Marv

cadcam
09-21-2003, 08:25 PM
balsaman , sounds as though I may be able to do this in the 3,000 range.

thanks.

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by marvinstov
ullbergm,
I have a Cheap CNC machine, CS-12-24P. I tried the motors, driver/power supply and software that came with it and could only get about 10-12 IPM. I sold the motors, driver/power supply and software. I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try. Motors are not here yet. On my home made machine, I can get up to 72 IPM but I don't run it that fast as the X lead screw (5/16 all thread) wants to start whipping with the gantry and one end or the other. It is only supported with a bearing on one end and the motor on the other. I think if it were supported with bearings on both ends it would not do that. Just thought you might want to know that on the Xylotex board.

Marv

very interesting, i'd love to be able to speed the machine up some.
What kind of motors are the 116oz/in?
Are you running them in the 1/8 step configuration?

marvinstov
09-21-2003, 09:13 PM
ullbergm,

They are the Pac Sci motors that Jeff at Xylotex sells. And yes I am running them in 1/8 step mode. They run very smooth and ran the Cheap CNC machine very smooth. They also did not stall as easily as the 145 oz/in motors that came with the machine. I believe they have a higher inductance which was one reason they would not move as fast plus I believe the MaxNC board that comes with the Cheap CNC is a phase driver, not step and direction, I'm not that well educated on this stuff yet. For what ever reason, they did not perform as well as the 116 oz/in motors I got from Xylotex.

Marv

ullbergm
09-21-2003, 09:38 PM
ullbergm,

They are the Pac Sci motors that Jeff at Xylotex sells. And yes I am running them in 1/8 step mode. They run very smooth and ran the Cheap CNC machine very smooth. They also did not stall as easily as the 145 oz/in motors that came with the machine. I believe they have a higher inductance which was one reason they would not move as fast plus I believe the MaxNC board that comes with the Cheap CNC is a phase driver, not step and direction, I'm not that well educated on this stuff yet. For what ever reason, they did not perform as well as the 116 oz/in motors I got from Xylotex.

Marv

thanks again for the info.
does he really sell 3 motors for $60? sounds to good to be true..

be sure to let me know how the 210 oz motors turn out.
i can definately see myself upgrading to a xylotex board soon.

marvinstov
09-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Yep, my 3 axis board and 3 motors were were about $190.00. I'm using the Xylotex board, the Pac Sci steppers from Xylotex, and Turbocnc and it works great. If you have problems with setting it up, Jeff is really great about helping you get going. I'll be glad to help too if you get one. I'll let you know when I receive my other motors. The MaxNC worked fine but just didn't do what I wanted it to. Jogging was too slow and I was used to using Turbocnc.

Marv

ullbergm
09-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Yep, my 3 axis board and 3 motors were were about $190.00. I'm using the Xylotex board, the Pac Sci steppers from Xylotex, and Turbocnc and it works great. If you have problems with setting it up, Jeff is really great about helping you get going. I'll be glad to help too if you get one. I'll let you know when I receive my other motors. The MaxNC worked fine but just didn't do what I wanted it to. Jogging was too slow and I was used to using Turbocnc.

Marv

great, are those nema 23 motors or did you have to make a bracket to hold them?

ger21
09-22-2003, 10:56 AM
You might be able to get a little better price for those motors on Ebay. The seller is Deepgroove1 I believe. These are the same motors that Xylotex sells. But you'll probably have to make the wiring harnesses yourself.

Gerry

ullbergm
09-22-2003, 11:36 AM
ullbergm,
I have a Cheap CNC machine, CS-12-24P. I tried the motors, driver/power supply and software that came with it and could only get about 10-12 IPM. I sold the motors, driver/power supply and software. I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try. Motors are not here yet.

Marv

Where did you get the 210 oz motors and how much were they?

marvinstov
09-22-2003, 05:51 PM
ullbergm,
The motors are from Dan Mauch at Camtronics and yes they are size 23. They were a little pricey ($119.00 ea) but it's a hobby. Might could have gotten them cheaper if I shopped around but I didn't want to wait. Besides after selling the stuff that came with the Cheap CNC machine, I have money left over to buy cutting tools with.

Marv

Pookie
09-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey Ullbergm, about how thick is the HDPE plastic that your cheapcnc is made of? In your picture it looks like it would be about 3/4" thick. Their earlier model was made with MDF boards, then they changed to plastic.
Thanks Pookie

marvinstov
09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Pookie,
Don't know about his but mine is 3/4"

Marv

ullbergm
10-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Pookie
Hey Ullbergm, about how thick is the HDPE plastic that your cheapcnc is made of? In your picture it looks like it would be about 3/4" thick. Their earlier model was made with MDF boards, then they changed to plastic.
Thanks Pookie

Mine is the same as marvinstov, 3/4.

Sorry for the delay in responding to you, i've been out of the country.

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 06:50 PM
ullbergm
How's your machine going?? Got my new motors installed Saturday, cutting wood as we talk.

Marv

ullbergm
10-06-2003, 06:52 PM
ullbergm
How's your machine going?? Got my new motors installed Saturday, cutting wood as we talk.

Marv

Good, i've been out of the country for the last 10 days so i havent done much with it.

What kind of results are you getting with the 210 oz motors?

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Well, I can get about 30 ipm rapids now. The Z axis wont go that fast, sounds like it is binding or something but slow it works ok. It will do about 15 ipm. If I am cutting at 25-30 ipm with some drastic Z moves (more than 1/4") it will lag behind, may be the way the code is written. The 116 oz/in motors on my other machine did just as well when I tried them as the 210 oz/in that I just put on. I really like it now. I don't do that much cutting at 30 ipm but it is nice to have that kind of speed for rapid positioning, etc.
Marv

ullbergm
10-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Well, I can get about 30 ipm rapids now. The Z axis wont go that fast, sounds like it is binding or something but slow it works ok. It will do about 15 ipm. If I am cutting at 25-30 ipm with some drastic Z moves (more than 1/4") it will lag behind, may be the way the code is written. The 116 oz/in motors on my other machine did just as well when I tried them as the 210 oz/in that I just put on. I really like it now. I don't do that much cutting at 30 ipm but it is nice to have that kind of speed for rapid positioning, etc.
Marv

cool. I've got some 180 oz motors and im thinking about getting a xylotex controller, the owner said that he thought it'd be able to control my motors just fine.

Any suggestions where i can find 30v power supplies at a resonable price?

I tried my Xylotex setup, 3 axis board with a 30V power supply, 116 oz/in motors and could easily get 50 IPM with the 1/4x20 lead screw so I ordered another Xylotex board and ordered some 210 oz/in motors to try.

so are you getting lower rapids with the 210 oz than with the 116 oz or was it a typo earlier?

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 07:04 PM
ullbergm
Forgot, have you noticed that you cannot gouge the table unless you are using extra long bits? I have to block things up sometimes just so I can make all the lower cuts without bottoming out on the Z axis.

Marv

ullbergm
10-06-2003, 07:09 PM
ullbergm
Forgot, have you noticed that you cannot gouge the table unless you are using extra long bits? I have to block things up sometimes just so I can make all the lower cuts without bottoming out on the Z axis.

i've mostly done some engraving so far. But when i did some thru cuts i put the stock on a scrap piece of mdf, because i didnt want to cut the table. i haven't really looked at how close i've come to bottoming out on the z.. i'll take a look at it next time i cut something.

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Yes, I get somewhat slower speeds than with the 1167 oz/in motors. Those motors that Jeff sells at Xylotex are hard to beat, price and power. As for the power supply, I made my own. Toroid transformer and some large caps with a bridge rectifier. Found some great enclosures that are for external hard drives (four will fit in the enclosure). They came with a 5v and 12v power supply inside, great for logic and some 12v lighting and fans. Transform, caps, and board all fit in nicely. I did a little overkill on the transformer, about 31 volts at 18 amps. Enclosure, transformer, caps, connectors and all was less than $100.

Marv

ullbergm
10-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Yes, I get somewhat slower speeds than with the 1167 oz/in motors. Those motors that Jeff sells at Xylotex are hard to beat, price and power. As for the power supply, I made my own. Toroid transformer and some large caps with a bridge rectifier. Found some great enclosures that are for external hard drives (four will fit in the enclosure). They came with a 5v and 12v power supply inside, great for logic and some 12v lighting and fans. Transform, caps, and board all fit in nicely. I did a little overkill on the transformer, about 31 volts at 18 amps. Enclosure, transformer, caps, connectors and all was less than $100.

sounds interesting, do you have any suggestions where to start as far as information about building a power supply. It's always been one of those things that i've stayed away from because of the power stuff, but i think im ready to give it a shot now. (i have more experiece with electronics now that i used too)

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Somewhere in all these post, there is a schematic for one. Real simple, just a transformer, cap and bridge rectifier. I'll look for it.

Marv

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 07:54 PM
ullbergm
I posted some pictures of my power supply in the photo section. Has the Xylotex board mounted inside too.

Marv

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
I used a 22 volt toroid transformer, 34,000uf 40V cap, and 50v bridge rectifier. Use this link and look on page 3.

http://www.geckodrive.com/ycom/documents/C163R16_power_supplies.pdf

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 08:33 PM
opps, that didnt come out right.

http://www.geckodrive.com/ycom/documents/C163R16_power_supplies.pdf

marvinstov
10-06-2003, 08:35 PM
well it seems that the link is too long. Go to the Gecko Drive site, click "Support" and there are a lot of papers there with lots of info, one is power supplies.

balsaman
10-07-2003, 07:45 AM
Link is working for me.

Eric

Mr.Ed
10-07-2003, 11:56 AM
To mr. Ullbergm who was one of the starters of this thread,

You posted a picture with a figure of lines that you have cut out. You mentioned that you didn't take the time to clear out the cut.

My questions is : How do you clear out those cuts? :confused:

If you have to do some tight corners you would propably need an end-mill with very small diameter. This would cut the outline, but leaving, as you mentioned, large islands that need to be cleared out.

Would you then take an end-mill with larger diameter to clear those islands or does the software provide some moves to rerun those spots with the small diameter end-mill ? :(

(please keep in mind, i'm new at this) :rolleyes:

Thanks for any answers.

Mr.Ed.

ullbergm
10-07-2003, 03:00 PM
First of all, there are many people on this site that have a lot of experience in doing g-code programming and i'm just starting to learn it myself.

Originally posted by Mr.Ed
To mr. Ullbergm who was one of the starters of this thread,

You posted a picture with a figure of lines that you have cut out. You mentioned that you didn't take the time to clear out the cut.

My questions is : How do you clear out those cuts? :confused:

Basically you would write the code so that the cnc makes a pass where the leftover is.

Most of the different softwares out there you can tell to clean out a profile and it takes care of everything for you.

If you have to do some tight corners you would propably need an end-mill with very small diameter. This would cut the outline, but leaving, as you mentioned, large islands that need to be cleared out.

Would you then take an end-mill with larger diameter to clear those islands or does the software provide some moves to rerun those spots with the small diameter end-mill ? :(

Mr.Ed.

either way will work. it depends a lot on preference and equipment.
if you have access to a machine where toolchanges are easy to do you might do a pass with a large bit to clean out most of the material (roughing pass) and then change the tool to a smaller diameter bit and clean out the leftover and make the corners more square (finishing pass).

my machine doesnt have a automagic toolchanger or anything fancy like that so sometimes i just trade time for convenience. i run the roughing pass with the same bit that i do the finishing pass with.

someone else with more experiense please jump in here and explain it in more detail.

tpworks
11-09-2003, 12:13 AM
I use Turbocad 6 it also has a tracing program ,save as .dxf, then I use deskam2000 open the dxf and create toolpaths. Deskcnc is the latest version I think it is around $300.00 for the program and a machine controller interface that you connect to your driver board. So you can run your machine from within the Deskcnc program. I purchased Kellyware Kcam for 95.00 and although it is quite a well designed program it is just too slow. so currently I am using Deskncrt with encoder feedback and a brewington driver board and has been working fine for over a year now.

bcromwell
11-09-2003, 03:05 PM
I like the Videos, Nice setup!!

Originally posted by ullbergm
It's been going good. I've not has as much time to play with it as i wanted.. way too much to do ay work.. :(

Here are some pictures of things i've done so far:
http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/ullberg/sanded.jpg
Movie of the above part (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/ullberg/running.avi)

http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/michelles%20sewing%20box/needs-to-be-sanded.jpg
Movie (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/michelles%20sewing%20box/running3.avi)

Here is a movie of Linux EMC in action
Movie (http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/emc/emc.avi)

Cool, thanks
What software do you use?

edit: I cant seem to get the pictures to show up.. the links works

xairflyer
11-15-2003, 07:40 PM
Been right through this thread but can't find a link for the linux cnc.

anybody got it

ger21
11-16-2003, 06:56 AM
http://linuxcnc.org/

ryarish1
12-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Any info on where I can buy one of these?

ullbergm
12-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by ryarish1
Any info on where I can buy one of these?

http://www.cheapcnc.com/

ullbergm
12-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Finally finished my enclosure, it turned out mostly ok.

Since i really like your design ECRC, i copied it and added a spot for the computer.

The box has not been cleaned up after i put it together, i'm just happy that its done :)
Cleaning will happen in a day or so.

http://ullberg.us/cnc/enclosure/machine-closed.jpg

You might recognize this design from ECRC's enclosure:
The machine is made out of 3/4 " mdf and the back is hardboard. (i think that's what it's called, pretty thin and hard..)
http://ullberg.us/cnc/enclosure/machine-open.jpg

This is what the operators console looks like, the door for the pc was not installed when i took the picture, but i have one.

The e-stop, spindle speed, etc. are going to be installed in the blank space below the monitor.
http://ullberg.us/cnc/enclosure/machine-operator.jpg

The power comes in on the side and it has a on-off switch to turn it all off:
http://ullberg.us/cnc/enclosure/machine-power.jpg

I forgot the exact measurement, but i believe it dampens about 20 dB when it's closed. Not too bad.

The paint is epoxy garage floor paint so i should be able to hose it down with water if i decided to.. :) I wanted something that would last and that wouldnt get ruined if i spilled coolant on it.

TODO:
* Install a light in the CNC part of the enclosure.
* Install E-Stop, spindle speed control, etc.
* Get a smaller keyboard to get more room for the mouse.
* Install relay to cut power to the spindle.

BIG AL
12-28-2003, 01:15 PM
NICE, NICE,NICE!! DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING ANY AUX LIGHTING IN THE WORKS?:cheers:

ullbergm
12-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BIG AL
NICE, NICE,NICE!! DO YOU PLAN ON PUTTING ANY AUX LIGHTING IN THE WORKS?:cheers:

Yes, the plan is to put a light in the router section of it so that it'll be easier to see what im doing.

The second thing is that i really want to put a relay on the spindle, that'll be nice. it should come in a day or two.

balsaman
12-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Great job!

Eric

ullbergm
12-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by balsaman
Great job!

Eric

thanks.

mwalach
03-07-2004, 10:31 PM
I like your cheap cnc machine. A couple of questions. I am trying to build my own machine, and was looking for some ideas. How do they connect the linear bearing on that machine? I can't see any pillow blocks in the pic on there site. Do they just press them into the plastic?

On the ball screw support end, do you know what type of bearing do they use? How is it attached?

How do the guide rails attach?

Some pics might help if you don't know what I am talking about. Any help would be great.

Mike

ullbergm
03-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by mwalach
I like your cheap cnc machine. A couple of questions. I am trying to build my own machine, and was looking for some ideas. How do they connect the linear bearing on that machine? I can't see any pillow blocks in the pic on there site. Do they just press them into the plastic?

On the ball screw support end, do you know what type of bearing do they use? How is it attached?

How do the guide rails attach?

Some pics might help if you don't know what I am talking about. Any help would be great.

Mike

The screw is not supported at the end, thats something that im planning on fixing. the screws whip around quite a bit when you speed it up.

The bearings are just pushed in there, dont seem to be an issue.

The rails are linear bearings that are sitting in holes that are drilled halfway thru the ends. no play, so that seems to work just fine.

Here is some pictures that should help:
http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/x-bearings.jpg
http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/z-bearings2.jpg
http://ullberg.us/cnc/new/cnc/stops.jpg

mwalach
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info and pic...they helped a lot. here is my site with pictures of what I am trying to build. I statred it before I saw the cheapcnc site. I like their simple approach. It is amazing how nice it seem to cut (Your machine) from the pics. My machine still cuts like garbage, I have too much slop in my bearings. (Homemade delrin bearings). I went to a local bearing dealer today and got some free samples to try. Thanks again for the help.

Mike

PS here is my site

http://members.cox.net/walachcnc/

ullbergm
03-08-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mwalach
Thanks for the info and pic...they helped a lot. here is my site with pictures of what I am trying to build. I statred it before I saw the cheapcnc site. I like their simple approach. It is amazing how nice it seem to cut (Your machine) from the pics. My machine still cuts like garbage, I have too much slop in my bearings. (Homemade delrin bearings). I went to a local bearing dealer today and got some free samples to try. Thanks again for the help.

No problem. the old saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words' really applies here :)

I'm sure you will get it. let us know how it goes.

DDR
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I have a deskcam nc set up . It will run 900 inches per min if want.
I am running it at 60 inchs per min at the present on a Taig mill with servos and drives from supercam. I think the deskcam is a great box that is easy to wire and run. It has all kind of import and export etc. I use cad cam to make my code so I dont use that part of it. The control is great!

I also have another taig that I got from micro proto. The stepper box and motors are ok. The cnc dos controler didnt work well when I got it. I downloaded mach 1 and upgrade my p3 450 to xp.
the mach 1 runs great. I get about 40 inches per min out of this set up.
It just cuts all day! It uses standard fanuc gcode also . HURRAY!
This lets me switch between 4 machines using the same programming.

I have a centroid cnc4 here on a BP clone that I am getting ready to change over. I will just build a driver box and use the exsisting motors . It runs at about 90 inches per min now. The problem is that it uses bp code. I have to get it to use fanuc!