PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! 5 axis breakout board. does the manual show correct pins?

effimos
03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
urgent please! i'm about to test my router:

after reading the manual of my 5 axis breakout board i've found a difference in pin settings between the 2 screenshots of the board and the DB25 connector table.

in the first screenshot + table the dir pin of Y is 3 and the step pin of Y is 16
but in the second screenshot (the one where they explain how to set mach3) they are switched. the dir pin of y is here 16 and the step pin of Y is 3. just the other way around ...

does anyone know what is the right setting? i don't want to burn another controller :P

check the atachment for viewing the manual...

doorknob
03-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I would not be worried about burning up a controller over this.

The important thing is to match the Mach3 definition with the actual wiring that you are using.

Direction and Step pins are both outputs. You should be able to swap one for the other. Since the terminal definition is silk-screened on the board, it is probably a good idea to follow that definition within Mach3, however it is not necessary to do so.

If you want extra peace-of-mind, after you make your definitions in Mach3 but before you hook up your drivers to the output of the breakout board, you can do some simple tests of the direction pins of the board (monitor each axis' direction pin voltage with a multimeter as you jog the axis manually in Mach3, changing the direction of the jog in Mach3 should show a corresponding voltage change at the corresponding BOB direction pin terminal).

effimos
03-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I would not be worried about burning up a controller over this.

The important thing is to match the Mach3 definition with the actual wiring that you are using.

Direction and Step pins are both outputs. You should be able to swap one for the other. Since the terminal definition is silk-screened on the board, it is probably a good idea to follow that definition within Mach3, however it is not necessary to do so.

If you want extra peace-of-mind, after you make your definitions in Mach3 but before you hook up your drivers to the output of the breakout board, you can do some simple tests of the direction pins of the board (monitor each axis' direction pin voltage with a multimeter as you jog the axis manually in Mach3, changing the direction of the jog in Mach3 should show a corresponding voltage change at the corresponding BOB direction pin terminal).

thanks for such a quick responce. i do understand that i can swap the pins as long as the output meets the wiring settings. and i always first measuure the pins with a multimeter because not all my parallel output pins on my computer work correctly. so i already had to swap some pins and then adjusting this in Mach3.

-> but what i dont know is where my breakout board needs to 'recieve' these commands on.. does he need to recieve the dir-y command on pin 3 and the step-Y command on pin 16, or the other way around? thats what i dont know.

do you think that if these pins are set 'wrong' it coud damage the controller?
i mean, what if i set the dir-y on pin 3 and step-y on pin 16 in mach 3 the controller could be damaged if it actually has to be the other way around? or could i just test this and if nothing happens swap the pins in mach 3?

doorknob
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I have that exact breakout board at home, but I have not yet hooked it up.

Right now I am in Utah, about 2000 miles away from home, and will not be back home for at least several days. So I do not have a good way to do any experiments.

However I would follow the hardware hookup diagram in the documentation, and I would ignore the screen capture showing the different pin hookups for Mach3.

I think that even if you swapped the two, you would not be risking blowing up your driver.

rmazuera
03-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I connected my board this past weekend and found the same issue. Check picture 5 of the Mach3 configuration and you will see that 3 and 16 are interchanged. You either change the wiring or change the Mach3 configuration

effimos
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I connected my board this past weekend and found the same issue. Check picture 5 of the Mach3 configuration and you will see that 3 and 16 are interchanged. You either change the wiring or change the Mach3 configuration

Thanks. But wich is then the right configuration? The mach3 screenshot or the table a few pages back in the manual?

For example: is pin 16 the dir or pulse?

rmazuera
03-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Effimos,
There is no right or wrong. Make sure you configure Mach3 the way you wired your board. I did it the way it shows in the Mach3 sample screen shot because I wired it that way.
good luck and start making sawdust!

effimos
03-29-2012, 05:52 AM
Make sure you configure Mach3 the way you wired your board.

i have wired up the board as shown in the manual's page 2.
here it says pin 16 is the step and pin 3 is the direction.
the only thing i wonder is wich part of the manual i can trust? is this info correct? because the screenshot of page 2 does match the table on page 4 but not the screenshot of mach3 on page 7. but i guess that screenshot is then the wrong one?.....

effimos
03-29-2012, 07:01 AM
ok, i've gotten a corrected manual from the seller so the problem should be solved.
for all you other guys having the same manual showing the 2 differences, you can download the corrected manual in my attatchment.

lamesh99
03-30-2012, 03:15 AM
be careful with this board. pin 1 is enable, which means when one driver/controller is enabled, the other two are also enabled. depending on the controller you will use, that can lead to some unwanted effect. for example, i use homemade controller made with 9A 200V mosfets, and when ever i used my machine at 12V, the z motor (the least one used) was getting real hot. thing is, when the controller is constantly enabled, one phase of the motor is powered. i burned one of my motors this way. you can use the A axis pins as enable pins for separate controllers.

effimos
03-30-2012, 08:08 AM
be careful with this board. pin 1 is enable, which means when one driver/controller is enabled, the other two are also enabled. depending on the controller you will use, that can lead to some unwanted effect. for example, i use homemade controller made with 9A 200V mosfets, and when ever i used my machine at 12V, the z motor (the least one used) was getting real hot. thing is, when the controller is constantly enabled, one phase of the motor is powered. i burned one of my motors this way. you can use the A axis pins as enable pins for separate controllers.

isn't this because the motors need to be 'locked-in"? so they don't move?
and if i follow your advise is this what you mean:
and can you just swap the pins like you want as long as you set this right in mach 3? is the board designed for that? i dont want any more trouble :)

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files4/105247/rGKN6d7ZsUT.jpg

john-100
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Hi effimos ,

you should have no problems using the A axis step and direction outputs (pins 5 & 6 )
as enable signals for your Y and Z axis

just a thought about your limit switchs
the switch connections go to the printerport input pins 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 and 15
via a 74HC14 IC (hex inverter)

a closed limit switch to GND gives you a logic 0 into an inverter
and the inverters output is a logic 1 ( +5V) to the printer port input

this could be a reason for the confusion in your earlier post

John