PDA

View Full Version : Books on building CNC Router?

samualt
08-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Does anyone have the book below? If so, what do you think of it? Is it worth the $20 + shipping?

"CNC Robotics: Build Your Own Workshop Bot" by Geoff Williams
Pub. Date: 08 May, 2003
Format: Paperback, 100 pages
ISBN: 0071418288
List Price - $34.95 USD
Overstock.com (http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/buy/overstock/0071418288) - $19.99 USD

Know of any other good books on basic CNC router construction? Some of us are just starting out and need the help. Thanks for any info..........Sam

ger21
08-16-2003, 08:52 AM
I read a review that said it wasn't recommended, but I haven't seen it myself.

Gerry

bremerr
08-17-2003, 09:19 AM
i bought the book. it isn't writen that well but his design is pretty good. don't expect it to be a step by step instruction to build your own router. the parts he used are not readily available. just find a website that shows the cover of the book, look at it and get some ideas of how his router goes together.

Jmtwo
08-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I agree, the design is good. But you would have to luck out and get commercial parts at incredible prices to be able to build a comparable cnc at the prices the book talks about. Much more usefull info right here.

MAHayes
07-31-2004, 05:11 PM
Go to http://www.kleinbauer.com/ for plans and booklets on small (hobby size) cnc routers. I built the Phonix in about 2-3 weeks (much of the time spent running around for materials!) :banana:

Works well, now I think I want to build a larger one!

Marty in Maryland

Patrick2by4
07-31-2004, 06:21 PM
I read portions of the book and decided not to buy it. I think you will find more helpful information on this site. Also, I prefer many of the designs on this site. Along this thought, it would be nice if those posting their designs would include more information such as where they brought their components, why they designed the machine the way they did, problems they ran into and how they resolved it, the tools they used to build their machine, etc..

High Seas
07-31-2004, 07:06 PM
Samualt - your question inspired me to do what I was going get around to someday - hope its useful and makes sense. I put together a little review of the book.
:cheers: Jim

sixpence
08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
I did buy the book. Mostly for the electronics side of things. I went to the electronics shop with the book and asked them to give (sell) me everything in the parts list, since I did not even know what more than half of the components looked like . The assistant very kindly labeled each little packet. Brandishing a soldering iron is the sum total of my electronics knowledge but with the help of the book I now have a fully functional electronics setup. Check out the project log "She lives" The mechanical side was helpful but I decided to build with mdf . Not all the info you need runs consecutively but most of it is there. Let me know if you do decide to buy it. What are the legalities of passing on the info eg circuit diag, parts etc in the book

ger21
08-01-2004, 10:05 AM
What are the legalities of passing on the info eg circuit diag, parts etc in the book

Not legal at all.

BeerFizz
08-06-2004, 09:48 AM
I bought the book. Sorry i wasted the money. There is more information here.

Recently, I did order the free catalogs from "Techno-isel", which have a WEALTH of information and great ideas. techno-isel.com.

The catalogs I ordered were "Linear Motion Components", "Linear Motion Products" and "The Techno Book of Cad.Cam.Cnc, 2nd edition".

As the components catalog above might suggest, they also sell various bits and pieces.

Some of their catalogs are available online as well.