PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Help simplifying a Dyna Myte 4400

Shea al'Thor
09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
hey all,
I'm a high school student currently doing PSEO classes through collage and in one of my engineering classes the instructor gave me a challenge to get an old no longer used Dyna Myte 4400 working again. The machine works just fine but is such a PITA to use due to the programing it uses (conversational) that it hasn't been used for years. My professor has challenged me with either finding a post processor that will work with the current programming to convert g code to conversational or to find a new system that will work with the mill. According to my prof. Dyna Myte said that they could convert or sell a conversion kit or something like that for around $15k but the mill is barely worth that.... I'm thinking that the collage would be willing to pay around 5k maybe to get it working again.
I was browsing the forums and I saw something about a kit from Ah-ha that would convert it over but I think that its discontinued.
Any help is better than what I have now so fire away :)
Thanks
Shea

mfgbydesign
09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Tell us what CAD/CAM system you need a post processor for. If the machine is working that's your shortest path and free. I was successful in downloading Mastercam X post and modifying it to work on my DM2800. I then evaluated DNC packages, found one for free (NCLink) that I configured to work with the control to run programs longer than 900 lines. Since it's a school and according to your profile in Minnesota I might be able to make a visit and help you out.

If you want technical help on a control upgrade you should post this in the "Dyna Mechtronics" forum. There are several examples of control retrofits using a PC, breakout board, and axis drives. This might take students several semesters and could be considered by the instructor for a long term project. I've decided for my own purposes to keep the machine running until something big goes wrong with the control. It's got some quirks but has some nice features as well.

Shea al'Thor
09-16-2011, 01:35 PM
The school is SCSU in St Cloud. I'll ask the professor he'd be alright with you coming out to take a look. The serial number on the mill is 89440803 so im guessing that it was made in 1989 ... And the professors seem to think that that date sounds about right. I'm not sure what program its running though. All I have been told is that its running comversaitonal programing... which definatly not very easy to converse with... Any help would be great though.
Thanks
Shea

Fastest1
09-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Are you in an art collage? Or are you college classes?

mfgbydesign
09-17-2011, 11:56 AM
The MC V8 post I sent you a link to should get you going. The post I downloaded worked with a couple simple mods. Sorry I don't recall exactly what they were, but get it posting & we can go from there. I do all my programming off-line & download via RS232. St. Cloud is about 1.5 hour drive for me. I'm looking forward to seeing you mill in action! Does it have a Touch Probe?