PDA

View Full Version : Newbie: CNC controllers

mbogucki
07-18-2003, 01:51 AM
HI All,

Been lurking on this site for awhile. Really impressed with some of the machines being built. I've been working on a cnc setup of my own using aluminium, rollerblade bearings and a 2 pairs of linear THK slides. When it gets closer to completion, I'll post some photos. Till then, I 've got a few questions... :D

I'm trying to determine which controller would be the best to consider. At this point since this is my first machine, I'm planning on going with stepper motors. I have a pair of Nema 34's, so I'll probably use them for now.

I have been considering either using the FET3 controller found on stepper world or the xylotex controller.

What are your opinions on these two??

Thanks in advanced. :)

--Mike

flyrc
07-18-2003, 02:56 AM
mbogucki,

I had the same question almost a month ago.....

I did not actually post it.. but I could not make up my mind...

I enventually deside on xylotex, I'm not sure that the FET board has microstepping...

but I did not like that I had to figure out and use some kind of limiting resistor...

I can only guess that those resistor can get very hot by the heat sinks I've seen on them..

(I'm loving my xylotex board.. ( Motors do not even get warm, I put to small fans on the driver chips but they also do not seem to get hot. )

well just my 2 cents !

Luis

WOODKNACK
07-18-2003, 10:42 AM
I also have a xylotex board and am loving it! Very good for the money!

balsaman
07-18-2003, 11:02 AM
The FET 3 is quite good, but I would also probably get the Xylotex, as it doesn't require the resistors, so it's easier to use a higher voltage power supply.

Eric

mbogucki
07-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to express my thanks to all that have replied with your suggestions.

Hopefully if all goes well, in about a week or two I'll be ordering myself a xylotex board.

Thanks again!!! :D

--Mike

HomeCNC
07-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Stepper world controllers are all Uni-Polar controllers. I would go with a Bi-Polar chopper controller. I think the Xylotex is one.