PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing to protect your computer?

Arbo
10-05-2010, 12:55 AM
If you have a DIY machine, and have the computer that controls it in the same room, are you doing anything special to keep dust out of it? Have it in a special enclosure?

Mine is in a small room with the machine, and eventually I just took the side of the case off as it was easier to clean it out (as it needs it frequently) and it actually seems to accumulate less dust than when it was closed up.

But I figure there has to be a better way...

Thanks,
Paul

tpworks
10-05-2010, 01:13 AM
The Dirt Bag, Inc. Computer Dust Filter Systems (http://dirtbag.biz/)

Arbo
10-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Wow, nice. Keyboard covers as well. cool stuff indeed, thanks.

brtech
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Running your computer without the cover is not a good idea. The CPU needs forced air to cool, convection cooling isn't enough, and the airflow is designed to work with the covers on. If you CPU has it's own fan on the heatsink, it's not as bad as if it doesn't, but regardless, it won't cool effectively without the covers.

The Dirt Bag looks like it would work provided you change it or clean it regularly so it doesn't become clogged. If it does, you won't get enough airflow into the system.

You might consider getting more dust out of your environment with DC improvements and/or an air cleaner. If you are getting that much dust in your computer, consider what is getting into your lungs.