PDA

View Full Version : Build Thread Concept Site to Share CNC Knowledge

jwolin
09-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,

I am interested in starting a site where we could share our knowledge regarding DIY CNC. I am thinking of something where the content is mostly generated by users but organized by administrators. The number one frustration I have with all forums is that the great information discussed in the threads is difficult to find. Wouldn't it be great if a summary of that discussion was posted in an organized way for future readers to glean?

I have started a site called cncmentor.com and would like some feedback on what you think? Would you contribute to a site like this? If so, please do! If not, why? What other features could you see being part of a site like this. I love this forum and have learned mountains from it. I think both sites might have a synergistic relationship that could really help people.

dave22
09-26-2010, 04:18 AM
I was ready to start contributing to the Community.

How disappointing!!!!

Looks like another attempted get rich quick scheme.

1.) Site was not even a day old and already some of the very limited information was only available after creating an account.
2.) An account would be needed for financial transactions, whats that all about.
3.) Click on MY ACCOUNT

Account Manager
Welcome back to CNC Mentor! You last logged on at September 25, 2010, 11:07 pm from XX.XX.XXX.XX. What would you like to do?
■Add a subscription to my account
■Edit my profile
■Update my password
■View my billing history
■Logout
Active Subscriptions
Package Details Expires
You have no active subscriptions.

4.) After setting up an account, I am now required to purchase a subscription, so that I can contribute to the Community.:confused:
5.) The annoying we know your Internet IP address. WOOOOOOO.
6.) As expected a click through available pages results in no Internet Privacy Policy or any other kind of rules or guidelines.

But I can add a subscription or view my billing history.

(Yes I did notice that the current subscription price is $0.00, but why go through all the trouble of adding this functionality to your site if it is not your intention to charge for access???. Also why do you need all of my personal information???)

Thanks but no-thanks.

I'll stick with CNC Zone.
1.) Its free. because of #2 and #3
2.) The owner has worked hard to develop a true Community for the free exchange of ideas. Due to his foresight, he has what is probably the most visited CNC related site on the Internet.
3.) This same traffic has enabled him to attract advertisers that meet the communities needs, enhancing the already synergistic membership of this forum, without financial burden. In fact quite the opposite, as CNC Zone members are on occasion entitled to discounts from various suppliers who advertise here.
4.) But, mostly I'll stick with CNC Zone because of the truly terrific people that make up the membership. Check out some of their free Blogs and Websites, the additional information is staggering. Places like the following;

http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/ courtesy of Tweakie
http://www.free3dscans.blogspot.com courtesy of Khalid
http://cmailco.wordpress.com/ courtesy of Cmailco

Just to name three recent visits, off the top of head. All of them sharing their knowledge in much greater detail, and asking nothing in return financially.

We do not need a, pay for access to information site. This addiction of upgrading to CNC or building from scratch is expensive enough.

Besides it kills the greatest aspect of the Internet. "Freedom of / Access to Information" its what ultimately will make us all equal.

In all fairness good luck.

jwolin
09-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I honestly want to respond with sincerity and honesty. I have no desire to make money on this site. I am an amateur CNC guy and I am a pastor by trade. I have a two car garage in a normal neighborhood. I don't want to trick people. I am not offended in any way, in fact, I am very thankful! Knowing how the site struck you is very helpful. I need that feedback!!! All the stuff you noticed on the site was because the CMS I am using (caribouscms) is designed with those features built in. The site is not very functional right now. I was just looking for some initial impressions.

The reason that I liked the CMS (content management system) and the reason I was thinking registration would be a good idea is so that just like CNC zone, users can login and have user specific information turned on or off. Registration is required on almost all sites so that content can be regulated. I really honestly do appreciate the feedback and knowing what things were offputting to you is truly helpful! I will make changes to those things so that it does not appear to be a "quick rich scheme."

I love the great people on this community also and I in ZERO way want to detract, compete or diminish it. The folks moderating this forum are top notch and worthy of their success. Thanks again.

cyclestart
09-26-2010, 09:24 PM
There are some great cnc blogs out there, thinking of people like Bob Warfield, Hoss, 5Bears, the ones dave22 mentioned, more that don't come to mind immediately. If you can get people like that to contribute you've got something going. Chances are they prefer to control their own content but maybe it's a case of build it and they (or others) will come.

Having a section with useful links on a topic is a feature I'd like to see. Examples of sites that do this;
http://cnc4free.org/
http://www.tech-edv.co.at/lunix/CADlinks.html (well that one's all links really)

Cmailco
10-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the plug, glad to see that people are getting something from the blog. I don't make anything off of it, nor do I intend to. Just seemed like a good way to share some knowledge with fellow manufacturers, machinists, programmers and the aspiring. Feel free to drop me a line any time or better yet, join in and engage in some –much needed– discourse. :)

Cheers,
Chuck