PDA

View Full Version : offset question

msimpson99
09-24-2010, 07:33 PM
OK I find the edge of my piece and zero the cords.

After designing a piece in Cut2D or other programs when I run my gcode My offset seems to be slightly off.

I am using the elctrical method of using the bit to touch a piece of angle aluminum. I do rotate the bit so the long edge makes contact.

What I had been doing was subracting half the diameter of the bit but I am still off. Should I move the bit to the outside of the material and zero.

What I am looking for when zeroed what is the programs like Cut2D, Cut3D , VcarvPro looking for so that my cuts are referenced properly?

FYI both the x and y seem to be off the same currently its like .125 off on both axis.

Cmailco
09-24-2010, 11:00 PM
I am using the elctrical method of using the bit to touch a piece of angle aluminum. I do rotate the bit so the long edge makes contact.

FYI both the x and y seem to be off the same currently its like .125 off on both axis.

Not sure I understand that method. What diameter is the tool? Are you sure you're offsetting in the right direction?

Regards,
Chuck

msimpson99
09-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Contact probe would probably better explain it.

msimpson99
09-25-2010, 12:31 AM
This is what I am doing and it seems to be working. I think my original problem was I had a bit that has a chip in the end and that was messing up my original edge test.

HEre is my procedure

1. Orient the outermost tip of the bit tword the edge I am testing.
2. place aluminump plate againts edge and run edge test
3. Once probeing is complete zero that axis
4. Repeat for other axis
5. move x and y so that center of bit is on the edge. IE for a 1/4" bit I move .125
6. Zero both axis.

This gets me pretty close but witiin .005 or so of my edge and seems to work. However its subjective as I have to rotate the bit.

Would it be better to add a external probe to the router holder?

ViperTX
09-25-2010, 12:40 AM
msimpson99,

I'm facing the same problem, but I'm using MeshCAM. In MeshCAM I had to "lock the stock" dimensions because the software was adding an offset for some reason.

And when I zero like you do, I move out the diameter of the bit from the edge and not just 1/2 the diameter as you're doing.

Hope that helps.

Paul

tpworks
09-25-2010, 12:52 AM
instead of moving the bit after you zero the edge, click on the axis DRO an type the offset in and hit enter. for example for .25" bit enter -.125 and enter, offset is set, do the same for the other axis and set your z height I use a 1/2" precision block and raise the bit until I can slide it under, type .5 in the z DRO and hit enter, then click go to Z .