trouble getting the toolpath to offset for tool in advance router

Thread: trouble getting the toolpath to offset for tool in advance router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default trouble getting the toolpath to offset for tool in advance router

It has been four years since I had to create new nc files for cnc router. I had this problem the last time I used program and can not remember the solution. Just remember it was simple.

I create geometries which are simply rectangle, under machining select tool, set cw and inside for closed geometries, set rapids, depths ect. through the screens. select geometries and the tool path centers on the geometry instead of offsetting .250 for my half inch tool.

I tried all three comp choices with same result.

Does alpha cam calculate the offset based on the tool diameter or do I need to set that somewhere.
    It asks for offset number which on previous version was always same as the tool but its possible someone had set that up before my time as the original software was there when I came.

This is a new installation on a new PC, and yea, I let the service expire before I tried to use it because it took us over a year to get the used machine running.

eternally grateful if someone could help me with this.

J Rick Brawley, jrick@truvista.net, chester, south Carolina,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: trouble getting the toolpath to offset for tool in advance router

Do you have the tool info setup correctly?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ger21, I imported the tool files from the previous version which was working, I looked through them anyway and they seem to be correct. tool in use is simply a 3" long rounter bit, 2.2 inches of cutting length, .5 inch diameter the only other thing it asks for is the offset number which is simply the same number as the tool. but is there a table or something somewhere we a value should be placed, which would not have copied in with the tool file?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

maybe I should have said this is the latest version of alphaCam advance router. previous was version 7

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have more information: I have learned that it is not related to the tool setup at all:
    I opened an existing drawing, done in previous version of alphaCam.
    I deleted the tool path from a geometry.
    then I selected rough or finish and used the tool set up as was, in otherwords just clicked ok.
    I selected the geometry that I had deleted the tool path from.
    I placed it on the drawing exactly as it should.
    I created a new geometery on the same drawing, same layer.
    Selected rough or finish, again just accepted the defaults and clicked OK.
    In the new geometry the tool centered on the geometry line instead of offsetting for the tool radius.
    I went back to the old drawing, deleted it and reapplied the tool path in the same way and it offset.
    this indicates to me there is something about my new geometries that is not correct or as I need them to be.

Can anyone add any insight as to what this might be. thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I'm still using 7.5.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry, please do not give up on me,
    My copy of 7.5 which I resurrected is behaving the same way, exactly. there has got to be a simple setting or procedure I am missing.,
    I called the distributor and of course they want me to renew my service contract for 1500.00 before they talk to me.
    I have started looking for other alpha cam help on the internet,
    really need to find the solution. I would appreciate anything that anyone has that may work

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I'm using 7, but we do have 7.5.

Under tool direction, I can pick left or right, or inside or outside.
    When I do the toolpath, I select Machine Comp, and that's about it.

If the tool diameter is in the tool table, I don't know what else it may be?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

- make sure is a closed geometry ( if not, then will do wherever is selected for the open)
    - make sure stock to be left is 0
    - machine/update tool paths

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrick View Post
    It has been four years since I had to create new nc files for cnc router. I had this problem the last time I used program and can not remember the solution. Just remember it was simple.

I create geometries which are simply rectangle, under machining select tool, set cw and inside for closed geometries, set rapids, depths ect. through the screens. select geometries and the tool path centers on the geometry instead of offsetting .250 for my half inch tool.

I tried all three comp choices with same result.

Does alpha cam calculate the offset based on the tool diameter or do I need to set that somewhere.
    It asks for offset number which on previous version was always same as the tool but its possible someone had set that up before my time as the original software was there when I came.

This is a new installation on a new PC, and yea, I let the service expire before I tried to use it because it took us over a year to get the used machine running.

eternally grateful if someone could help me with this.

J Rick Brawley, jrick@truvista.net, chester, south Carolina,

Hello,

firstl i will explain you how tool compensation works. In a Alphacam you have three ways how to use it.

If you have correct set tool direction in a Alphacam drawing - arrow on a correct side (you will see it after switch view - display options - show tools). Then you can set in a rough finish operation this types of use.

1 - Tool centre - this option calculate with a tool diameter in alphacam and make offset from a geometry by a tool radius which you have in a Alphacam
    2 - G41/42 Machine comp - Most use ways - Alphacam generate coordinate exactly as is geometry in a CAM (of course with a lead in/out) and machine take diameter from a tool database in a machine (in a ISO commange G41/42)
    3 - Tool centre G41/42 - This option is in my country not too much use, but some people use it. You have to have in a CAM correct diameter and coordinate in a NC code are generate with a offset tool radius (which you add in a CAM) but in a machine you have to have in a tool database set zero for tool radius . And correction you will make by a real wear - like +-0.1 ...

So i think that you can have problem in two things.

Uncorrect tool diameter in Machine or wrong tool diameter in a CAM.

Of course you can use uncorrect tool offset for a tool. Not sure.

Because you can have tool number like T01 but number of tool offset can be D02. But normally in a production all people use same tool number and offset number.

For a correct study your problem would be great your Alphacam project.

Postprocessors, VBA macros, .NET programming.
    www.ccsoftcz.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Maroslav4 View Post
    Hello,

Because you can have tool number like T01 but number of tool offset can be D02. But normally in a production all people use same tool number and offset number.

@Maroslav4 - You are not correct in Your statement here.. the way of working, You describe, was the way more than 10 Years ago..
    now with room for up to 50-200 tools In the magazine , all Tools are measured and data loaded in the Machine – then You tell for ex. that Tool nr.45 is in pot nr.3 – or with the random Tool change, You start to tell where You put the Tool, and the Machine has the Tool under control, and where it has put it..

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by camnerd View Post
    @Maroslav4 - You are not correct in Your statement here.. the way of working, You describe, was the way more than 10 Years ago..
    now with room for up to 50-200 tools In the magazine , all Tools are measured and data loaded in the Machine – then You tell for ex. that Tool nr.45 is in pot nr.3 – or with the random Tool change, You start to tell where You put the Tool, and the Machine has the Tool under control, and where it has put it..

Yes, you are right. I wrote about basic understanding tool comp.

Postprocessors, VBA macros, .NET programming.
    www.ccsoftcz.com