Newbie help

Thread: Newbie help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie help

Hello again,

I have a little project that I need to do but I have not worked in 3D much before (i am still learning) ... Since my english is not that advanced or perfect I will try explaining my problem with a screenshot.

Anyway, to the point:

As you can see from the image above, my toolpath is from the side, I want to cut along that arc (following its curvature) from the top (if that makes sense). Currently the tool approaches from Z and cuts along that arc. I want the tool to approach from Y and cut from the top, as it were ...

I realize that this might seem trivial for some but I've only done 2D operations since I started working with CNC machines and this is something new to me (as is alphacam) ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie help-cut-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie help

Hi,
    You don't say anything of the AlphaCAM version, You are using?
    What Machine, and what type of postprocessor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes sorry, I was in a rush and didnt realize I didnt at least post my Alphacam version.

However, I think I managed to figure it out. I ended up creating a 3D surface and then I used the "3D project" function to project my tool path onto the 3D surface and It seems to be working fine.

Alphacam 2016 R1 (used Ultimate Router for this)
    Paolino Bacci MASTERTGV CNC with 6 interpolated axes
    As for post processor, I dont think I am familiar with that term ...

Quote Originally Posted by code90cnc View Post
    Yes sorry, I was in a rush and didnt realize I didnt at least post my Alphacam version.

However, I think I managed to figure it out. I ended up creating a 3D surface and then I used the "3D project" function to project my tool path onto the 3D surface and It seems to be working fine.
    An easier way might be to convert the geometry to a polyline or spline and then us Cut Spline Polyline.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also You can convert to Polyline - back to Spline, and then convert the Spline to Geometry, with Z-level. This way, You can use Machine compensation :-) (maybe not needed here, but nice to have in mind..)