Need Help! 3D machining finish problem.

Thread: 3D machining finish problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3D machining finish problem.

Hello again.

I'm trying to do a surface finish on a 3D solid and I can't seem to get it to do what I need.
    So, as you can see on the attached example, it's a simple geometry and I'm using a 20mm ball end.

- The Projected Contours operation does exactly what I want, except in two points, first it doesn't go all the way to the end bottom of the solid, and second, it does this wave kind of toolpath at the bottom as well.
    I can't figure out why it does this and why I can't make it go all the way to the bottom of the solid.
    In Mastercam I could force it to go at a specific Z value, but here that option is greyed out.

- The Constant Cusp operation goes all the way to the bottom of the solid, but it does so all around it, so it doesn't respect the solid Z levels, and on the object I need to make I can't do that, it need to follow the Z level of the solid like it happens with the Projected Contour operation.

- The Parallel operation doesn't create a sharp edge on the solid bottom.

Am I missing something here?

Any help is as always, greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    Best regards,
    João

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3D machining finish problem.

I can't unpack .rar files(only .zip), so I can just guess what You're trying to do
    - but I would always use a Z-Contour first (this You can tell how far Down, and how flat areas it's going to machine), and then a Parallel or Projected Contours (with a Border, slightly offset inwards )
    - Or You can take the "easy way" - Choose Z-Contour, and under the "Advanced tab", You add "Projected Contours on flat areas" :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

use 7zip as solution. free and fine...for zip/rar and other formats

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by koy View Post
    Hello again.

I'm trying to do a surface finish on a 3D solid and I can't seem to get it to do what I need.
    So, as you can see on the attached example, it's a simple geometry and I'm using a 20mm ball end.

- The Projected Contours operation does exactly what I want, except in two points, first it doesn't go all the way to the end bottom of the solid, and second, it does this wave kind of toolpath at the bottom as well.
    I can't figure out why it does this and why I can't make it go all the way to the bottom of the solid.
    In Mastercam I could force it to go at a specific Z value, but here that option is greyed out.

- The Constant Cusp operation goes all the way to the bottom of the solid, but it does so all around it, so it doesn't respect the solid Z levels, and on the object I need to make I can't do that, it need to follow the Z level of the solid like it happens with the Projected Contour operation.

- The Parallel operation doesn't create a sharp edge on the solid bottom.

Am I missing something here?

Any help is as always, greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
    Best regards,
    João
    Try this
    3D Finish_rev.ard | Ulož.to

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for not replying earlier but I was out of the country until yesterday.

@Camnerd, try the one attached.

@Maroslav4, if you look closely it doesn't go all the way to the bottom, and what I was trying to accomplish was machining using the same sort of toolpaths the Projected Contours create. They flow with the geometry.

Nonetheless, Parallel is the closest I can get.

Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files Attached Files