Help. Can't get rid of chatter on radius.

Thread: Help. Can't get rid of chatter on radius.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help. Can't get rid of chatter on radius.

I am turning a radius on my subside on my swiss machine. There are two radii that are turned and blend together. The first in .045 and then it leads onto a .7275. I am receiving some beautiful chatter on the first radius. More along where it transfers from the .045 to the .7275 radius. I am running 3000 RPM and I have tried using a .004 and a .008 sandvik turning insert. I have tried doing a rough pass and it did eliminate chatter. However, it threw off my radius. I took the rough pass out and it formed the radius correctly but then again, chatter reoccurs. I am using partmakers to generate to radius. The original dimensions on the stock I am turning is .730 diameter by .135 width. If anyone has ANY advice, please respond asap so I can get this part to the customer. Thank you.

Please message me instead of just replying to this thread.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help. Can't get rid of chatter on radius.

I have ran into chatter issues with alphacam before. If the rest of the material cuts fine and it is only happening in certain area, then the issue is microscopic "waves" or segments in the line or radius. Alphacam will not show them unless you zoom in extremely close, from the zoom levels normally used they do not show. The chatter is caused by alphacam following these "waves" or segments which translates into chatter when machining as the spindle is making many microscopic adjustments in a very short period of time.

Default Re: Help. Can't get rid of chatter on radius.

Can you step the feed down manually with the machine "safety" control while the spindle stays fast so that you're effectively reducing chip load and solve the issue that way? I know it's a hassle to do manually, but if you only have 1 or 2 I'd try that, otherwise I'd go back into the coding for those arcs and explicitly change the feedrates. Vary the rpm, feedrate, or profile to eliminate the chatter, and I'm assuming you want the profile the same...you could boost rpm too, assuming your machine and tool can handle it. In the metal machining world there's a cellphone app that will listen to your audio of the machining process and analyze the vibrations and spit out an alternative rpm to try....don't think I've seen an analog for that in the wood world...

Quote Originally Posted by TedHamilton View Post
    Can you step the feed down manually with the machine "safety" control while the spindle stays fast so that you're effectively reducing chip load and solve the issue that way? I know it's a hassle to do manually, but if you only have 1 or 2 I'd try that, otherwise I'd go back into the coding for those arcs and explicitly change the feedrates. Vary the rpm, feedrate, or profile to eliminate the chatter, and I'm assuming you want the profile the same...you could boost rpm too, assuming your machine and tool can handle it. In the metal machining world there's a cellphone app that will listen to your audio of the machining process and analyze the vibrations and spit out an alternative rpm to try....don't think I've seen an analog for that in the wood world...

There is Slow Down For Corners in Alphacam. But I don't think this is problem. It is more likely down to how your control handles changes in direction and might need the velocity and deceleration setting tweeked. It could also be down to tooling. What length, diameter and type of tool are you using. How are the parts held in place. Can you attach a drawing that contains the problem tool path please so that I can crack there is nothing in the tool path that should cause a problem?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Open program at the machine and insert
    Set
    Jerk3d
    Fix all your problems