Alphacam Part Modeller

Thread: Alphacam Part Modeller

Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Alphacam Part Modeller

Hi
    I`ve had part modeller for a couple of years now and rarely get a chance to practice on it. My problem is that I can`t seem to get it to do anything useful !
    What takes me an hour on part modeller I could accomplish in alphacam in ten minutes. Is this programme actually any good or am I better off forgetting
    about it and just do my thing in alphacam ? Opinions please and don`t pull your punches . Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Alphacam Part Modeller

Working from solids is the most popular way to work. Part modeler is for making solid models for importing in to Alphacam. You can not do solid modeling in Alphacam.

So it depends what you are trying to achieve. Maybe Part Modeler is not suitable for your work or you do not know how to get what you need from it.

What are you trying to do??

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Head scraper
    The latter most likely. ) I`ve played around with it for a few hours at a time and trying to create even the most basic rectangle with draughted sides and radiused top edge & corners which is about as far as I get.
    Then for example if I try to add some detail like an angled fluted rebate the full height of the piece ,I start to lose the will to live. I doesn`t seem to want to allow me to crop or position anything at a given distance along an edge . It`s not a particularly intuitive programme and I get frustrated and do what I need to do in alphacam. I just can`t get it to do what I want so I`ve all but given up on it. How does part modeller compare to say solid works ? We use solid works for all our design work and import it into alphacam. But I can`t get the guys in the drawing office to look at it. One guy did and wasn`t impressed but it was only a look over my shoulder rather than a determined effort to evaluate it .
    Thanks for any opinions.

Hi Routerfiend
    Solidworks costs between 3x and 10x as much as Part Modeler, depending on the level you get.
    I don't think it is a fair to comparison. Part Modeler is really meant as an inexpensive alternative to the premium solid modeling packages out there, for people that don't want to break the bank and don't need all that functionality. As you probably know it takes time to get familiar with different software. I find PM very intuitive and easy compared to Solidworks but of course there is things you can do in Solidworks that you can't in Part Modeler and this is reflected in the price.
    It sounds like you know what you are doing and maybe just need to spend a little more time with it.. but you may still find it is not what you need.
    I have seen some very advanced and complex modeling of cnc machines done in PM but I guess it takes practice.

Last edited by headscraper; 07-11-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Headscraper

Thanks for your input. Time and patience is most likely required as you say. It`s tricky in a busy shop to get the time to get to grips with it. It looks promising
    but the time I spend on it is so sketchy that it`ll be a long battle I feel. I think the boss and the IT guy ( Particularly the IT guy ) are getting a little tired of alpahacams
    little Quirks come update time and there are murmerings of a switch to solid cam. Time will tell I guess wheather i`ll still be using alphacam this time next year.
    Again , thanks for your opinions Headscraper . Much appreciated.

It just occurred to me that the new 2D to 3D function in Part Modeler 2014 R2 might be of interest to you, I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but it looks good and all you need is a few 2D views of your part and hey presto it will convert it in to a 3D model.

As I'm sure you know all CAM and CAD systems have their 'quirks'. Solidcam is brilliant, I had it demoed to me when I was in a similar quandary to you, and also had a Powermill demo around the same time. They where pretty impressive in their own rights. Solidcam is fine for making components for engineering I guess and Powermill had some impressive 3D machining strategies, if a little overkill . But I am a woodworker and model maker mainly and this is where they fell down for me. The absence of nesting, engraving, style layer processing and many other things I rely on that are geared towards my sort of work meant they just weren't suitable for me. Not to mention twice the price of Alphacam Ultimate! Again it totally depends what you want to do with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Headscraper

I`ll have the IT guy update partmodeller and have a look. Most of my work is bespoke packaging fitting flightcases and the like with foam inserts with the occasional tool making for vacuum forming machines.
    So part modeller ( If I could use it ) would be a great asset . Mean time I can at least accomplish what is needed with alphacam proper. Thanks agian for the advice . If I can convince the IT guy to update PM i`ll let you know how I get on . )