Newbie New to Cnc and could use some advice for some good Cad programs

Thread: New to Cnc and could use some advice for some good Cad programs

Default New to Cnc and could use some advice for some good Cad programs

Hello Everyone,

I have been doing woodworking for the last 25 years and finally got around to building myself a CNC but I am not sure what CAD programs I should use *free or purchase* Could use some expert advice :-)

Thanks,

Robert

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to Cnc and could use some advice for some good Cad programs

Depends on what exactly you want to do.
    Most people use Vectric's products.
    But more and more people are using Fusion 360, which is free.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank Gerry,

Guess I should clarify a bit more. I intend to use it mostly for furniture design of which I will be doing quite a bit of inlay design and work, so I would like something that can do some 3d design without having to get an engineering degree. The machine is one that I am building from a combination of the Gatton CNC design and GreenBull design This is my first CNC so I am doing quite a steep learning curve here, also to help complicate matters I am American but live in Eastern Europe (Moldova) so I have to order a lot of my parts from either America or China because I cant find them here locally (sometimes metric is NOT your friend......try finding a 3/8 bolt in eastern Europe

Downloads
    Uploads

+1 on Fusion 360. A bit of a learning curve, but it is full professional 3D modeling and CAM software. And as said....It's Free

You can also design your machine in it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Alibre Design. But for someone starting out I would say Fusion360 is the way to go.

Also learn to work in 100% local units. Your in Europe so your wood stock will come in metric thickness and length. It will be much easier to source metric fasteners locally.

I never mix metric and SAE Inch fasteners unless the exiting project all ready has both.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's to many possibilities to answer your question. Since your posting in this Alibre section you probably want to know about it. I'll tell you why I've used it for 10+ years.
    1. Parametric, 3D and drawing. I'm old school, I need dimensioned drawings. Changing a dimension on the drawing changes the 3d model.
    2. Great 3D representations, ability to have constrained movement like a crank-rod-piston model.
    2. Wanted a program thats good enough, I don't need to pay for (or learn how to deal with) upgrades and support. (Looks like the latest version is similar or less capable than the 2012 version I last paid for)
    3. Add-on Integrated CAM support to generate G-code for Mach4 (don't even think about Mach3 Stand alone CAM requires to much do over work.
    4. Temporary add-on support for stress analysis.

My main gripes.
    1. Doesn't run on Apple OSX. I would gladly pay for the whole package over again if it did.
    2. Still to expensive. People will go open source when the price is unreasonably high. Open source is lately improving. I'm testing FreeCad but it's not ready yet. Just as open source LibreOffice has taken over the Microsoft office sweet on my Mac, and open source KiCad has taken over schematic and pcb design, open source CAD will take over proprietary 3D CAD eventually.