Need Help! New Centroid on Gantry router. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Centroid on Gantry router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Centroid on Gantry router.

Found serious issue with gantry pillow blocks. The original manufacturer of this machine made their own cam follower pillow blocks. Turns out they are all made wrong, with tremendous amount of play. Something that is not apparent until you remove the load. What a mess. Had to modify everyone.
    I have to give praises to CNCkeith. He has given me tremendous support and direction. He even spoke to me on Saturday and Sunday.
    So far machine is starting to shape up, but I'll need to retune all
    over again.

Last edited by artracing; 04-10-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by artracing View Post
    Found serious issue with gantry pillow blocks. The original manufacturer of this machine made their own cam follower pillow blocks. Turns out they are all made wrong, with tremendous amount of play. Something that is not apparent until you remove the load. What a mess. Had to modify everyone.
    I have to give praises to CNCkeith. He has given me tremendous support and direction. He even spoke to me on Saturday and Sunday.
    So far machine is starting to shape up, but I'll need to retune all
    over again.
    Curious to know how you are making out with your project?
    Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for asking. When rebuilding this I broke the golden rule, never assume someone did their job right. No wonder this company went out of business. The guy I got this CNC from only tried a number of projects on this CNC. They could never run the machine fast or hold tolerances they needed. They pretty much abandon the machine.
    The gantry is pretty robust. So I assumed the mechanics were good. Low and behold, I wasted lot of my time and few others trying to tune the servo, when all the problems were in the mechanics. Each pillow block was out .030" Meaning, with the rollers at their most forward position, they were still .030 away from rail.
    Either the machinest who hand made them was .030 out in his setup or the designer gave him wrong numbers.
    Anyway, with those fixed, and retuned, the servo it running like a bear.
    With the mechanics bad, I could only run 100ipm and as soon as it was all fixed I can do 400ipm and still has more to go.
    I have run a complex 3D quitar body perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for asking. When rebuilding this I broke the golden rule, never assume someone did their job right. No wonder this company went out of business. The guy I got this CNC from only tried a number of projects on this CNC. They could never run the machine fast or hold tolerances they needed. They pretty much abandon the machine.
    The gantry is pretty robust. So I assumed the mechanics were good. Low and behold, I wasted lot of my time and few others trying to tune the servo, when all the problems were in the mechanics. Each pillow block was out .030" Meaning, with the rollers at their most forward position, they were still .030 away from rail.
    Either the machinest who hand made them was .030 out in his setup or the designer gave him wrong numbers.
    Anyway, with those fixed, and retuned, the servo it running like a bear.
    With the mechanics bad, I could only run 100ipm and as soon as it was all fixed I can do 400ipm and still has more to go.
    I have run a complex 3D quitar body perfectly.
    Very cool. I have a friend that has one, its a 2x2, really nice size and agree, very heavy. I think they could do some light milling too. We'll be getting it up and running right after his Dyna benchtop lathe.
    Please post a picture or two of it and your control.

Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a photo of it in this thread. Its a 4x4
    The Servo is Centroid M39 which is used for mills. Old one was Centroid from 90's

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a new 3 axis Centoid put on a lead screw gantry router. 4x4 Old Phoenix.
    I have gone thru the servo tuning. Used auto tune but it updates to high numbers. The servo runs violently.
    I tuned to waveforms to look good but when running short moves in XYZ on a job it bangs lead screw hard as if there is play in the lead screw nut. There is no backlash that I can measure.
    Relative to speeds on router on normal router I'm running slow. 100IPM in XY and 50 in Z.
    There doesn't appear to be any dampening on the short moves. I can run a large move point A to Point B at 350IPM and it stops on a dime.
    but when running planer moves in XZ or YZ and very short moves it's banging lead screw. The cut in material looks very choppy.
    Not like my Bridgeport, the XY axis have no load per say. With the belt off, I can spin the drive pulley by hand and X axis will coast a few inches without any effort under its own momentum.

Any ideas?

Rob
    Sorry, I missed it...
    Robust machine!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12