Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.

Thread: Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.

I have run a Prototrak retrofit knee mill for years and liked the ability to use the quill feed handle for drilling quick holes and quick milling operations. I also do engraving and hated the slow graphics on the Traks. I bought a used Centroid retrofitted knee mill for my home hobby shop and love the fast graphics but lost the manual quill. The MPG would be OK if there's a way to place it in rapid mode like the new Trak SMX electronic quill handle, though I prefer the feel of a mechanical gear driven quill. I did notice that the quill drive collar flange has been machined off to prevent manual use for safety I'm guessing. Is it possible activate manual mode with DRO for the Z axis, or install a glass scale in the quill drive box for feedback with DRO instead of the motor encoder? Just searching options if any.

Thanks for any input.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.

Yes, you should be able to install a glass scale onto the quill and have a DRO reading of that glass scale. Without knowing what version of the Centroid software that you are running, I do not know how involved that will be. Here is a tech bulletin that describes how to do that on a Centroid CNC11 system that may help you. If you do not have a Centroid CNC11 system, please email a current report from your system to support@centroidcnc.com. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.-292-linear-scales-manual-axis-cnc11-pdf   Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.-193-generating-report-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Manual quill for Centroid knee mill retro.

here you can see in a old video how it all works having a manual quill and a cnc quill on the same machine. this is just one way you can set it up.