Need Help! Centroid M15 not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centroid M15 not working.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Centroid M15 not working.

I recently purchased a Jetmatic 3 axis CNC knee mill with Centroid M-15 retrofit. Was told by the seller that the computer needed re-programing, but there's nothing on the screen (dimly lit) and nothing happens pushing any of the buttons. Hooked up three phase to at least use it manually, but no power to the motor. Motor wires go to what looks like a relay in the power panel that has live 3 phase on one side, which leads me to believe the motor is controlled by the CNC software. Where do I go from here? Local service tech is 2 hrs away.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Woody

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Centroid M15 not working.

No responses yet, so I did a little troubleshooting inside the controller since I am an electronics tech. I did find that the ribbon cable connector on the flat panel screen was loose, secured it and now I have video. The processor boots up in dos, goes to c:\> and I can't get beyond that. Did a directory search and there were only 5 files and saw nothing that resembled CNC software. Can't find an M-15 manual anywhere on the net, so I don't know if that's normal and waiting for a starting command or if indeed the operating software is gone. Once the screen was working I expected the software to automatically load. I have a small bench top mill with an ahah! dos control. I type in "cnc40" after the prompt to load the software.

I have the ball at least rolling. Can anyone give it a kick?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Woody

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you have hard drive troubles, and are missing most of the system.

There should be directories named CNC7, INTERCON, and PLC.

To launch the control software, you run CNC7M4.BAT, which is located in the CNC7 directory. Normally, AUTOEXEC.BAT takes care of that, and the system starts up the CNC7 software on bootup.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, that explains why it's not booting up automatically. AUTOEXE.BAT is one of the 5 files in the directory, so I did try typing " AUTOEXE.BAT" , and it showed 5 files totaling 64,143 bytes, and 2,088,632,320 bytes free in the cash, followed by: Microsoft Smartdrive Disk Cashe version 5.01 copyright 1991,1993. Then typed: "CNC7M4.BAT" , no file found. I have to wonder how or why would somebody delete the CNC7 program. The hard drive should be OK since it does boot quickly to C:\>. Is there a place on the net where I can download the latest version of this vintage software? There is a 1999 date on one of the circuit boards, so I'm guessing it is a later M-15 version, but that may be a replaced board. There must be a simple way to identify the version if I need to.

Thanks cncsw for responding!

Woody

Last edited by dtw; 05-02-2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Wrong and incomplete entered data

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW, the batch file name is AUTOEXEC.BAT, not AUTOEXE.BAT.

You will need to work with Centroid or with an independent service tech to get a copy of the software and some tech support time to get it installed.

What is the control serial number on the back of your console? It would be in the 4000 series.

Downloads
    Uploads

The serial # is 4068, and I did contact the original installer and he said I would have to send the controller to him and he would reload the software and configure the system to work as it should. So that's good news.

Thanks for the input. Saves me time scouring the web for a dead end. I'm fortunate that the original installer's business info was still stuck on the control box because he has the original setup on file.

Now we wait. Thanks again,

Woody

Downloads
    Uploads

Found the trouble! Previous owner tried to increase the hard drive size and lost the CNC7 program in the process. I bought a new solid state drive from Centroid with the program already installed (only way) for $450 and all is well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dtw View Post
    Found the trouble! Previous owner tried to increase the hard drive size and lost the CNC7 program in the process. I bought a new solid state drive from Centroid with the program already installed (only way) for $450 and all is well.
    How did this work out for you? My M15 wont boot up and thinking this might be a good option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe, maybe not. There are lots of reasons why an M15 might fail to boot up. Lack of software on the hard drive is one of the less probable ones.

On yours, what do you see on the screen after you turn the power on?
    Does the console power supply fan start running, and keep running?
    Do any of the jog panel LEDs eventually light up?

Do you know which of the four or five possible motherboard models you have in yours?
    Barring that, do you know your console serial number?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

S/N is 4575
    Fan keeps running

screen pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Centroid M15 not working.-img_0002-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That does look like it could be a hard drive failure, since the motherboard does not appear to be detecting any IDE drive.

If you reboot and press DEL (persistently) to get into the CMOS Setup menus, then tell it to Auto Detect the hard drive, does it find anything?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't appear to.
    screen pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Centroid M15 not working.-img_0003-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You probably do have a failed hard drive, then.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Hard drive installed and we are up and running again. Thanks for the help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok spoke to soon everything works except the mill has lost home and the homing option is not coming up when you restart the controller. Looking but cant fine any options for manually homing the mill. Any suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out the homing options in the operator manual there are several choices in the set up menus...F1 setup,f3 config,f1 control.. Scroll down and select machine home at power up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Screen shot, it appears that it is set correctly but I am not getting the pres start to home machine on startup.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Centroid M15 not working.-config-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Air Ride View Post
    Screen shot, it appears that it is set correctly but I am not getting the pres start to home machine on startup.
    Verify that parameter 5 isn't set to a 1. If it is, it tells the CNC software the moment it loads that the location that it is at is home. From the main screen press F1(Setup)->F3(Config)->default password is 137->F3(Params). If parameter 5 is set to 1, change it to 0.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That was it parameter 5 was set to 3. set it to 0 and now I get the the home screen but when i pressed start it home the table to the left instead of the right.

Downloads
    Uploads

Edit cncm.hom to choose which direction u want each axis to home out on. Check out the operator manual for more info on m92 and m91

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast