Need Help! Centroid M15 not working. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Centroid M15 not working.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Centroid M15 not working.

That worked Just ran a program and everything worked fine. It's great to have the machine running again. Thanks everyone for the help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnckeith View Post
    Edit cncm.hom to choose which direction u want each axis to home out on. Check out the operator manual for more info on m92 and m91
    cnckeith is somewhat correct but the filename cncm.hom is for a Centroid CNC11 system and if this is an M15, you will not have a file called cncm.hom. He is correct in that you will need to modify the .hom file and replace the M91 with an M92 or vice versa for that particular axis. The attached tech bulletin should help you out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Centroid M15 not working.-022-modifying-hom-file-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have corrosion on my mother board and suspect it is why it will not fully boot up. I just recently bought a new hard drive from Centroid and now having this problem. Is it worth a shot to try and clean the mother board and how hard is it to do or should I look for a used mother board?
    Thanks
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Glen, I've had similar issues when the on board battery failed. You have to remove the mother board to access the battery, not a piece of cake, but with care, photos as you go, and notes, is doable Other than that, corrosion is never good near contacts, pen eraser works well on the board foil. Since the HD purchase was recent, I would call Mario at Centroid in PA 814-353-9290 tech. support. He's the man in the know.

Good luck!

Woody

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dtw View Post
    Glen, I've had similar issues when the on board battery failed. You have to remove the mother board to access the battery, not a piece of cake, but with care, photos as you go, and notes, is doable Other than that, corrosion is never good near contacts, pen eraser works well on the board foil. Since the HD purchase was recent, I would call Mario at Centroid in PA 814-353-9290 tech. support. He's the man in the know.

Good luck!

Woody
    Thanks for your response and Mario is very helpful at Centroid. I do love my Centroid control and for the most part they are trouble free with great tech support. I sent my control to a tech so waiting on hearing from him on things. I can buy a used mother board for 350.00 but coming from china it takes awhile to get here and I have work piling up and hate to lose customers. Is there any threads on taking out the MB that you know of so I would have some idea as I go?
    Thanks again
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

when you are ready to pull the trigger, centroid has a upgrade system for M-15's.. while it not cheap.. if you think about the years of service that you'll get out of it its like having a new cnc control for $500 per year. the upgrade kit does not rely on the motion control board being plugged into the pc mother board. the new motion control cpu communicates thru an ethernet cable to the PC motherboard (like all new centroid controllers). this 'frees up' the PC and therefore allows the user to pretty much use any modern PC as the cnc control PC.. so if you have a PC problem in the future you can quickly and cheaply fix it yourself (if you like). This ensures less cost for future PC repair and upgrades and eliminates down time since most any modern PC's will do the job. since its so cheap to make a cnc ready PC yourself some customers i know have spares sitting on the shelf preconfigured ready to install.. if they have a cnc PC issue, its a 10 minute job to install the new PC and they are back up and running. going with the upgrade kit also gets you the latest version of centroid cnc software which has many more standard features built into it and you'll be able to run windows 7 , 8 or 10 which ever one you like. CENTROID M15 CNC control upgrade to M39S, Trade in your M15 for a new M39S.

Downloads
    Uploads

Part of my problem is the machine is not that great Iron wise so not worth putting 5300.00 into it when I can find used CNC's for around 8,000.00 or less and being a one man shop though it is hard to justify the costs but looking like I am going to have to bite the bullet pretty soon .
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Of course, cnckeith is right, new upgrade solves all your problems, think about it! I am a retired hobbyist and former tool & die mold maker. Just can't justify spending more for an upgrade than I did for the whole working machine just to make toys. If you're making money with it, well, that bears consideration. I've seen the new upgrade in action on youtube and WOW! As far as removal of the motherboard, I haven't seen anything. I haven't yet replaced the battery in mine, but it's not on top of my 'to do' list, and that was Mario's first reply to my same symptoms. Still no guarantee that will actually solve my problem, but he's 95% sure. So you're better off on you're own as I explained and hope a battery and cleaning works, or follow cnckeith's advice if your budget allows. It's tax deductible! Since you've already sent the unit out for diagnosis, hope It's not serious.

Woody

Downloads
    Uploads

well my advice would be to upgrade the m15 get the machine running good.. then shop for a killer deal on a cnc with a bad/old cnc control.. but with good iron.. then swap the centroid from your current machine to the new frame. sometimes you can score a good frame for under $2000 with a bad/old control. and you would be ahead of the game vs. buying a used cnc which is just inheriting someone elses problems.:-)

seems to be lots of good candidates on ebay at the moment
    TREE JOURNEYMAN 320 CNC Knee Mill 10"x48" Table, 30-Taper, Tool Holders Included | eBay

#M15 VECTRAX Three-Axis CNC Vertical Mill with Three-Axis DRO (New 1995) | eBay

NICE RUNNING BRIDGEPORT CNC 3-AXIS VERTICAL KNEE MILL | eBay

#MV-6 MIGHTY Comet-XT Three-Axis CNC Vertical Bed Mill (New 1997) | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyemfg View Post
    Part of my problem is the machine is not that great Iron wise so not worth putting 5300.00 into it when I can find used CNC's for around 8,000.00 or less and being a one man shop though it is hard to justify the costs but looking like I am going to have to bite the bullet pretty soon .
    Glen
    I'm with you on that one. I purchased a 13 year old Fadal 4020 at auction for $5500 that works perfectly. Do I put a new $5300 controller on my $2000 Bridgeport 1? Probably not. It will most likely get a hobby upgrade for 20% of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12