Where to find surplus Tslots or 80/20

Thread: Where to find surplus Tslots or 80/20

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Where to find surplus Tslots or 80/20

I see allot of people using TSlots or 80/20. It is T-slotted aluminum beams used much like the old Erector-sets for building things. I'd like some of the 40mm by 80mm (double wide) stuff. Retail this stuff goes for about a dollar an inch!!! Is there some other place your getting it?
    I tried to find it on ebay but with no luck. I'm not even sure what keywords to search for; I tried eveything. I doubt seriously metal yards have this stuff. I will ask this week when I go to get my aluminum plate. But, I hold little hope for this. So where do I find it for cheap? Any hints?

-------------------------
    "I'm so poor, if steamboats where a dime a dozen all I could do is run up and down the shore yelling 'Ain't they cheap!' " - Jr. Samples.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default T- Slots, 80/20

See rcrabb post under Parts listing .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

His largest pieces are 80".
    I need at least 3 that are 118" long (1.5"x3", 40mmx80mm). I'm building a big router.

Anywhere else?

Downloads
    Uploads

What's 80/20 cum T-slot used for in the real (as opposed to cnc fantasy) world?

The answer will determine which dumpsters get dived...

Unless--you don't think--they'd sell it for--SCRAP! (grrr)

Note to self: use front-door approach to ask to buy pre-scrap.

--
    Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

dnelson:
    I have come to the conclusion that TSlots are just too expensive for the sane garage machinist. At a $1 inch retail, and even half that surplus, it would be crazy to use it in much quantity. For the same price you could have most parts machined from solid stock. Some companies use the stuff as a way to make fast prototypes or even as finished products for other companies who don't mind spending allot. Because of it's price I doubt you will ever find any in a dumpster. I am totally against trying to use this stuff now.

The new plans I got don't use any TSlots at all. Instead they use cheap steel square tubing. Cheap is good!

Just my 2 cents.....Sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Where I work (factory) they use it for guarding machines because it's light weight. The don't want people on comp. because they moved a guard.

I got all mine from the dumpster there. It was dirty, some bent, and all random lengths, but I am not complaining.

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

balsaman:
    Yes, but because you worked there you probably knew when they were throwing it away. If 100 of us from this board all went out tonight and went dumpster diving behind random machine shops, how many of us do you think would find some Tslots? I'm betting about zero.

If wishes were horses then beggers could ride!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 80/20 Product at Discounted Prices

Samault:

80/20 Surplus can now help you out. I work there. We are an internet based company on E-Bay and offer the 80/20 material at discounted prices. The material may have scratches or cosmetic blemishes, yet be structurally sound. Check us out at www.8020.net and click on the "Garage Sale" icon at the bottom of the page. New listings are added almost daily. If you need something that is not listed, let us know. We may be able to help.

Thanks,

Tim Cain
    80/20 Surplus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ebay

http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...derLinksQQtZkm

Nope, I haven't bought anything. But the prices seem great.